Wiki Posts
Search

unmounting tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)
Default unmounting tires

I plan on switching trucks this summer & I was wondering if there is a way I can remove tires from rims in a fashion that will leave them ready to be remounted. I have some new sets of tires mounted on rims that will not fit on my next truck.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
I plan on switching trucks this summer & I was wondering if there is a way I can remove tires from rims in a fashion that will leave them ready to be remounted. I have some new sets of tires mounted on rims that will not fit on my next truck.
you can try cutting were the bead and tire meet,this works it just depends on how well you glued them. but chances are that what ever you do the tire is not going to be as good as new.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bake the wheels with good success. Some people boil them, and others used an acetone bath. If you bake or boil, I hear you shouldn't do it too often since it can start to weaken the plastic.

My method:

preheat oven to 425.
once heated TURN OFF oven (important step!)
set wheels directly on rack
set timer for 30-40 minutes
when timer goes off, you should be able to pop the tires from the rim, if they don't pop off, let them go a little longer.
any CA residue can be picked off the rims since the heat crystallized it

I do it to save tires when ive damaged rims, or gotten new wheel systems (traxxas to Losi).
Old 03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The last pair of tires that I removed, I boiled the tires first for about 15-20 min. on each side. The tires wern't completly free, so I fill just the bottom of a coffee can with acetone, then first put an old rim in the bottom, then set the tires on top of that, put the lid on and set over night (@ least) Like mentioned above, I doubt the tires will be perfect after doing this just because of some places that U might have to cut around. But they will be far from un-mountable

Don't forget rubber gloves when using acetone. All that old CA glue gets sticky
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i use acetone bath. it's too easy.
soak tires in a tin of acetone overnight.
tire peels off rim the next day, without effort.

use gloves and work in well-ventilated space when opening acetone can.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I've been using the acetone approach for years now - works fine.

There are certain tires that absorb the acetone and grow (like Pro-Line Striker II), but they get back to original size after a few days to a week. I've not had this happen with any off-road type compounds.

If you want to re-use the liners, be careful not to tear them when they are damp (and much expanded) from the acetone. They shrink back when they dry. The only liners I have ever seen been permanently affected were the Trinity extra-firm blue liners. They are not as stiff after being exposed to acetone, even after they dry out.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i also use the acetone for bout 10 years now, but if you do it with losi tires they tend to lose there softness, ive had alot better luck with this method on panthers, and proline tires.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm an acetone user too..... works really easy. Dump them in the bath, come back in a day or two, done. No effort.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Acetone +1!
Got and empty paint can from Home Depot and a gallon of Acetone,
squeeze the tires and let em fill up with the acetone so they sink, put the lid on the can, come back in a day or two and they peel off easily, be gentle and the foams will be perfect too once they dry out and shrink back to original size.
I'm using the same acetone over and over for a long time.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyperguy
i also use the acetone for bout 10 years now, but if you do it with losi tires they tend to lose there softness, ive had alot better luck with this method on panthers, and proline tires.
I've had that problem with Losi Pink compound tires but have not had the Reds or Silvers change in any way when using acetone. Maybe the difference is that I don't dunk them in the stuff. I have a plastic container with something inside that supports the tire and wheel above the liquid. So only the vapors get to the tire and they preferentially attack the CA. This way, the foam doesn't even get damp. It takes longer than dunking (maybe 2-3 days in the vapors) but I am rarely in a hurry.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i do the oven method...............325 for 15 min......check ....should peel if not then 5 more min.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Baking works, but your house smells like crap, the tires sometimes stick to the rim and dont come off without leaving patches, plus the rims change color.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Check this post: http://rctech.net/forum/showpost.php...0&postcount=13

I tried all these methods a while ago and had varying results.

Hope this helps!

Mr.Maim
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyperguy
u mean u re-use the rubber tires?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Acetone trick for me!!

The foam insert expands to about three times its original size if you dunk the tire in acetone.
No problem, just wash it with dish washing soap, the inserts will immediately shrink to its original size.
I reuse the inserts with no problem as soon as its dry!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.