Search

Spectrum DX3R or M11

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Spectrum DX3R or M11

i want a new radio but am having touble deciding

witch one would you get?

the spektrum comes ready to go but the m11 you have to buy a modual that will cost like 350

i am getting a spektrum for 260. whitch one is the best buy
Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I love my M11 more then anything, the comfort, intuitive display and feel it delivers is amazing. It is by far the best radio IMHO. It's alittle on the heavier side but really not a issue to me. it has high response and hasnt failed me yet.

I dont Know its alittle more with spektrum but you dont need that out the gate. I really suggest holding them before buying. The dx3r feels cheap but i hear its a good radio besides the recievers going bad here and there, still new of course.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Personally, I like the DX3R mostly for the price point and what you get which is quite a bit. I have not had any problems with mine and I have to disagree with it feeling cheap. I think it feels much better than the DX2 and DX3 and it is obviously lighter. Having brought mine to the track I get quite a few onlookers and they all have mixed opinions but I never had any real negative comments on people that saw it and felt it first hand. It has a nice rubber grip and the scroll bar makes cycling through the menus very easy. If price is an issue I would go DX3R all the way. If you are more comfortable with what has been around forever and you got money to spend than M11 might be a better choice. I've been running Spektrums, DX2 and DX3R for the last 2 years and have no regrets.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I love the DX3R I've been using it for a few months now & have had zero issues. If I was to pick my second favorite radio it would be the JR Z1 ( with the drop wheel ) in the past few years I've had the M11, Z1 & DX3R all worked great but the M11 seems heavy and a little dated, the Z1 is awesome & I'd still be using it if the DX3R wouldn't have came out, I guess I'm a bit of a gadget tweeker

If the DX3R seems "cheap" I think it's because it is so light and people don't think a quality radio can be light.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Gary - Have you had any issues with your DX3R receivers losing their bind? I bought the unit and this past weekend each receiver lost their bind for no reason. In 2+ years with the original Spek receivers I've never had that happen even once. Others I spoke to with DX3Rs also commented on having the problem. You have any info on this - I know you're kind of hooked up w/Horizon? Thanks G!

BTW, I agree with you...the radio doesn't feel cheap at all to me!! Light, and nicely made. It looks better IMO in person than in the pics.

Gary
Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Gary - No problems here (knocking on wood as I type ) I have one rec. in my 8T & one on my computer for my VRC Racing & neither ne has given me any problems, make sure you keep the receiver wraped in a little foam if it's not taped in an electric vehicle, you can even try using a vouple pieces of tape to try & cushion the rec. a little. I usually only use 1 piece of tape in electric & wrap it in foam in Nitro. but I do that with any receiver I have used.

Is this GMK Gary?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Signguy Gary

Is this GMK Gary?
Of course!

Since the receivers are so small I was able to pack them in foam in all directions. I'll give Horizon support a ring and see what they say.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

Gary - Sounds great, let me know what they say. I'll call my contact & see if he has heard of anyone with those issues. I know their support is very good.

Give me a call when you are free 814.221.4342
Old 02-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I've had an M8, Helios EX-10 and currently the DX3R. The DX3R is by far my radio of choice. It's easy to use, extremely light and has a ton of features!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have a DX3R and have had a M11, Helios, and M8...

IMO, the only real advantage the DX3R has is cost. Its also lighter, but thats not a big deal to me.

While it has all the features you need its not backlit and it does look "cheap" compared to my M11 or Helios. The construction of the DX3R looks cheap and it doesn't have a good tactile feel to it...

These are very minor nits compared to the fact that you get a DSM radio and RX for 300 bucks. The M11 will set you back around 350 with a DSM set-up...

Personally, I wouldn't have sold my M11 if I had to do it over again....
Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

A couple guys at the track had this problem with the new RX. One of the Spektrum sponsored guys said to try to bind it from a greater distance like a couple feet. He said this worked for a few of them and have had no problems since. BUT he also said if this doesn't work as well, then send it back, the receiver....

Originally Posted by Signguy Gary
Gary - No problems here (knocking on wood as I type ) I have one rec. in my 8T & one on my computer for my VRC Racing & neither ne has given me any problems, make sure you keep the receiver wraped in a little foam if it's not taped in an electric vehicle, you can even try using a vouple pieces of tape to try & cushion the rec. a little. I usually only use 1 piece of tape in electric & wrap it in foam in Nitro. but I do that with any receiver I have used.

Is this GMK Gary?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bushyar15
While it has all the features you need its not backlit and it does look "cheap" compared to my M11 or Helios. The construction of the DX3R looks cheap and it doesn't have a good tactile feel to it...
Although I do agree that if it were backlite it would be a big improvement but it not having a good tactile feel, I disagree, the greatest complement I can give the radio is that when I'm on the stand I basically forget about it.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry double post
Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Undoubtly the: latest, lightest, best handling and easiest to use is you need - DX3R
Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

thanks guys for all your imput

but i will be getting the m11 with the carbon stikers kit from upgrade

thanks!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.