Wiki Posts
Search

TeamLosi(Junk or NOT!) Come Vote

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default re

for me its not junk the speed t for me is the nices quality car ive had over all
Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I honestly believe losi needs to be applauded for there rtr kits.... I work at a hobby shop and deal with new bees all the time.. They usually come in the first time and get a micro t, mini t, speed t, Etc. Go home play with it for a while then they come in bout a month later or so and say "you know this is fun BUT I wanna run on the off road track you guys have out there..." so what do I do being the good employee I am... I sell them a rtr buggy. Next thing you know there back again sayin' "I really what a xxx cr" hopefully.'Sometimes its a ft b4 booo' But what the point is... Is that that an inexpensive RTR got another person in to the hobby.. How can any true R/C enthusiast be upset with ANY COMPANY that brings out a rtr product that brings new people into the hobby?

Another though could you imagine going to a hobby shop as a new bee and them only having race kits............. Imagine how many people would get sticker shock and walk away....
Old 07-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

losi was a good company but there not keeping up with the times i mean years ago i would have given my left something for a xxx t mf2 truck but now, if someone offered me a losi or a traxxas id take the traxxas over it anyday
Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
I honestly believe losi needs to be applauded for there rtr kits.... I work at a hobby shop and deal with new bees all the time.. They usually come in the first time and get a micro t, mini t, speed t, Etc. Go home play with it for a while then they come in bout a month later or so and say "you know this is fun BUT I wanna run on the off road track you guys have out there..." so what do I do being the good employee I am... I sell them a rtr buggy. Next thing you know there back again sayin' "I really what a xxx cr" hopefully.'Sometimes its a ft b4 booo' But what the point is... Is that that an inexpensive RTR got another person in to the hobby.. How can any true R/C enthusiast be upset with ANY COMPANY that brings out a rtr product that brings new people into the hobby?

Another though could you imagine going to a hobby shop as a new bee and them only having race kits............. Imagine how many people would get sticker shock and walk away....
you said it brother
Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big_jim1976
losi was a good company but there not keeping up with the times i mean years ago i would have given my left something for a xxx t mf2 truck but now, if someone offered me a losi or a traxxas id take the traxxas over it anyday

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

man there are so many good points in this thread!! RTR's do equal good for the hobby as a whole for sure,BUT, when 95% of your product line is RTR you end up alienating the race world due to not race worthy products. I will say the rise in classes they are trying to create is disturbing.Who needs a stadium stock, stock buggy, mod buggy,mod truck,1/18 truck, desert truck/slash, 1/8 buggy and 1/8 truggy class at their local track to try to get through a race program with. Also what newb needs a truck that is capable of doing 70MPH???? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. nothing is more frustrating to a newb than a car you constantly have to feed parts to because you cant get through a full battery without breaking something.Thats just like for safety purposes there should be NO RTR nitro vehicles. In short Horizon bought a top name, turned it into a money making machine, and are headed for the same path that traxxass took when they stopped producing KITS. The funny thing is that Kyosho did this very thing years ago and marketed towards newbs with affordable kits and now have come full circle, and who is at the helm of their r+d department to make the transition back into the race world??? Gil Losi Jr. I just got back from a regional series race in indiana and gues what I bet 50% of the 2wd buggies were RB5's, and 40% of the 4wd buggies were lazer sp's so it seems that the brains of the operation left the company when the losi name was sold. nuff said.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Rookie

i like the losi products but the time that it takes for you to get the part that you order they are mad slow at shipping parts
Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've always regarded Losi as the "great two" company, one of the two that's on the top of the list of all the RC car companies out there, with the other being AE.

From the days of JRX-2, Losi has always had a *slightly* different approach then AE. I had my doubts when the ownership was transferred to Horizon, but it seems like they are a runaway freight train of ideas and cannot be stopped.

My only gripe with the transition to Horizon is that many hobby shops no longer carried their stuff due to Horizon being a distributor themselves (bad for business IMO)... In terms of quality and innovation, I think they are still one of the two (AE as the other one) that's on top of the game... Distribution of their product is a whole different subject...

My RC10CE Graphite was my trophy car of yesteryear, but I've won more races with my LXT... It was an easy car/truck to work on, and was strong as hell...
Old 07-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=xsxracing;4086937]Hello,
Some say Losi should go to walmart ( LOL ) and i will agree with that also unless they start coming out with some race worthy kit's or maybe even a race worthy rtr model like an Brushless 8ight or something along that line maybe.
QUOTE]

STRONGLY DISAGREE

Take a rideover to your nearest Wally world and have a look at what they have on the shelves. You will soon see the difference, and then appreciate any hobby level r/c, rtr or not. Losi and Traxxas rtr's are a good way to get noobs into the hobby. With the economy the way it is this industry needs all the help it can get.

Imagine if you will, Losi or Traxxas being sold on the shelves instead of those Tyco, Nikko, disposable R/C's. Think of how well that could expose newbies to hobby level rides.

In my opinion, any R/C that you can get parts for and is not disposable if you break it is good. Maybe, not the best R/C, but not all people can afford it or think the value is there for a Mercedes. So, they drive a Honda.

Oh, and is it really necessary to bash the rtr's you don't like. Speak with your wallet not your negativity. If you don't like it simply don't buy it.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Cool think a minute...

I just started reading this thread and had to stop...

Why would any racer be mad at Losi for making RTRs and Minis? I've been in this hobby for a lot of years... and I have to tell you... we NEED new people.. It's dying off at an alarming rate! When I first started there was 6 offroad tracks, a drag strip, a banked oval on-road and an indoor carpet track within 30 miles of where I live in Southern California.... None of them are around today.. There are only 3 tracks around now and they are at lease 30miles away.. 2 are mostly 1/8th scale...

If we don't get new blood... we won't have any tracks to race at...

And to say the Losi cars are competitive.. blah.. they are.. I have raced my losi offroad cars with everything from a 27t stock to a 3.5bl motor.. you have to know what you are doing with any car...

Hey.. I personally would not buy an RTR.. it's not my thing.. so I won't. I am glad that it's bringing new folks into the hobby though...

Jerome
Old 07-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
I just started reading this thread and had to stop...

Why would any racer be mad at Losi for making RTRs and Minis? I've been in this hobby for a lot of years... and I have to tell you... we NEED new people.. It's dying off at an alarming rate! When I first started there was 6 offroad tracks, a drag strip, a banked oval on-road and an indoor carpet track within 30 miles of where I live in Southern California.... None of them are around today.. There are only 3 tracks around now and they are at lease 30miles away.. 2 are mostly 1/8th scale...

If we don't get new blood... we won't have any tracks to race at...

And to say the Losi cars are competitive.. blah.. they are.. I have raced my losi offroad cars with everything from a 27t stock to a 3.5bl motor.. you have to know what you are doing with any car...

Hey.. I personally would not buy an RTR.. it's not my thing.. so I won't. I am glad that it's bringing new folks into the hobby though...

Jerome

I think the reason many of us look down at RTR's, is that it looks like the company (Losi) has changed its ethics for the worse.

With losi spending more time on RTR's instead of racers, we sortof feel offended or betrayed.

Plus there is the stereotype that large companies (like Wallyworld, Coca-cola, Pepsi, and Mcdonalds) are run by evil, corrupt, spoiled rich people who use cheap and moraly wrong strategies to increase profits.

Losi may, or may not fit that stereotype. It is up to you whether or not you trust the company.

RTR's help the hobby, they're the "Gateway" vehicle of R/C.