Brushed / Brushless setups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed / Brushless setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

i am amazed at the amount of performance just those 3600NiMH batts gave me. once i get the mamba max ill be very interested in lipos.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

just get the esc, and buy a low KV motor It will be hard but you can do it hahaha. If you have to get the combo package just get the 4600kv.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

haha i will manage. i had a little scare the other day with my car getting wet and cutting out.

...but its all good now haha.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

the MM and brushless motors don't mind a little water (another plus to brushless) you should put the radio reciever in a balloon if it's gonna get wet though.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

how do you mean a balloon?

wouldnt it melt or something?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

only put the reciever in the balloon, not the esc, motor, or batt.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah. im having so much fun with this car. Just bashing at the moment. We have a makeshift track no that has an asphalt ection aswell as offroad and its great fun to drive on.

hope to order Mamba Max in the new few weeks. then will go on to motor from then.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

ohhh bumma,
just recently had a big crash off a dirt jump in my back yard. fell from about 7 meters and landed the wrong way on the rear left wheel, it cartwheeled for a bit then for me to find i had snapped the wheel off from the axle cup.

hahahaha

ordered perts plus other parts the other day, i guess id better keep up with parts
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Yah, landing jumps wrong is a bit hard on parts I've been doing good latley with the buggy holding up well, though the sons XXXT has been thru 2 a-arms and now has no spares left... better get his money togeather and buy some more before it's broken again.

I see the sidewinder is in stock at towerhobbies.com for $76USD, there's good reviews of it so far, seems some of them don't have the latest software so you may need to get the cable for programming it. But it's still a bit cheaper than the Mamba Max and will do for less than insane setups.

Working up to buying a 4S lipo for me and a 3300KV brushless for the XXXT so son can get away from brushes and have some more run time.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I believe my 4600 castle motor is getting tired. It just doesnt seem to have what it used to. I dont know if it is bearings or the rotor magnets getting weak or what. I saw you made a suggestion for a low cost electrifly ammo motor, but I thought the kv was a little low. What other choices do I have in the 5000 kv range?

thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

I would say that your 4600kv shouldn't be having magnet problems unless it's getting well over 170*f. That being the case you may consider the bearings (if they don't feel smooth), but I'd go to the battery and connectors first.

What kind of batt's are you using (type, cell count, age)? Do you have a buddy with "known good" batts that will let you try a different pack for comparison? Does your charger log mah while it charges? Does the pack get hot when you drive hard?

If it's connectors (causing voltage drop and therefore performance loss) after a good hard run they will be hotter than the wires connected to them. Check all the connectors, batt to esc, esc to motor.

If it's bearings, if I remember correctly they are 5x11x5mm and you can get nice ceramic ones,used for the tailshafts on rc helicopters (good to 80,000rpm). Lost my favorites some time back so I don't have a link right now, but if you need it I could propably track it down. Take the motor out and spin the shaft by hand- should feel smooth, free turning, and quiet.

If you've cooked the magnets, then you most likley need a bigger motor for your application (what is the app?) in which case you may need to spend a little more on the motor and step up to a feigao XL. It's more expensive (+/- $75) but you won't have to replace it from being cooked. Two problems there, the XL's are low KV so you would need to up the voltage (more batts) and they use a 5mm shaft so you have to get pinion gears that fit it or turn the shaft down (done with a dremmel moto tool).

Most all the aftermarket budget motors have a lower KV than the stuff you buy in package deals with esc's (novak, mamba max, vxl, sphere, ect...) Reason being is that they are mostly for heli, air, or water craft. Once you get away from factory stuff it's kind of assumed you've moved on to higher voltages (requiring lower KV's).
Old 01-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

yamrz350- The motors themselves should last forever, only the bearings may need replacing but not for a few thousand hours running if looked after (no water or dirt in motor). De-magnetisation happens around 200*f, and it shouldn't be getting that hot, I run mine in a TT-01D flat-out sliding for 20-30 minutes at a time no problem.
I'd take the doc's advice and check your batteries. They WILL experience a loss in performance over time and might not be up to the challenge anymore. To get the most out of brushless, you should go Lipo (decent quality, not the $40 Chinese packs).
Regarding the cheaper motors, Feigao's are great for the price, but I'd only go for an 'XL' if it is for 1/8 scale or an overweight 1/10 monster truck. I have a 9XL on 4S in a converted Hyper 7 and I'm even thinking it might be a bit much. For most 1/10 scale the 'L' can would be a much better choice and it is available in higher kv ratings (select one that will give you 35-40,000 rpm using your batteries of choice for max efficiency/runtimes, this will keep it cooler aswell) and costs ~$10 less.

deRRo- The doc is spot on with his advice, but I can help with some local knowledge. I am in Brisbane and it was cheaper for me to get a mamba max combo (~180US free shipping) than the ESC and motor separately (MM - ~130US free shipping + cheaper motor - ~40-50US + shipping). Again, take the doc's advice and get the 4600 if you decide to go that way, you have many more battery options with this one as it will handle up to 4S. I got mine here. With the current exchange rate it is a very good deal, I've seen 2nd hand systems on flea-bay going for ~250AU.
When you decide to get Lipos go for a well-known brand and not some flea-bay junk, they seem like a bargain but they aren't. My brother bought 2 packs for $40 bucks each, one fried on the first use, the other puffed up after ~10 cycles. I use MaxAmps, cheaper than the super-packs but good quality and value. You will also need a Lipo charger and a balancer. I use this charger & this balancer or you can get a combined balancer/charger.
If you are going to run 4S Lipo's you will need a BEC to keep the MM from overheating. This one will work with almost any standard 1 servo truck/buggy. Pretty cheap and much easier to install than other BEC's, no wires to cut, just simple plug and go. There are also higher voltage and higher current versions if you want your steering to be faster/stronger. A fan is also a good idea to stop overheating, especially in the tropics. These are branded ones, but they are the same as most other 25mm fans under the label.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

cornelius, thanks for chiming in good to have another opinion. Some local advise never hurts
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advise guys. Tha application is a xxx T, and I have used enough different batteries to be sure that isnt it. I am now leaning towards bearings and will investigate.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Tech Adept

The mamba motors shouldn't experience excessive wear pushing a XXX-T, so I'd be surprised if anything inside your 4600 was stuffed.
I'd check the soldering on ESC input connector (the one where your battery plugs in). I've had bad connections where it was only the heat-shrink holding the wires on and it makes it run like a piece of crap.
If you don't want to undo the heat-shrink to check try using a motor you know is good on the same ESC. If you have a similar experience as your 4600, it is probably a bad connection. If the other motor works fine your 4600 will need an operation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.