Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DB-01 Durga. The next budget racer? >

Tamiya DB-01 Durga. The next budget racer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya DB-01 Durga. The next budget racer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Oh well, the baldre is cool, I just thought there might be more.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

There is a lot of talk about how good the tamiya shocks are. I just built my db01r and the shocks don't seem to be the best out there. The springs are very skinny and I can't get them to stop rubbing the sides of the shock.

Anyone else experience this.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Strange, the ones on my DB-01R don't.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Initiate

I haven't had that problem either, but if you are not fond of the springs then you can switch to Team Associated buggy springs. They are a direct fit to the TRF shocks.. I have used them on my DB-01 for several months now..

Originally Posted by kylehirano
There is a lot of talk about how good the tamiya shocks are. I just built my db01r and the shocks don't seem to be the best out there. The springs are very skinny and I can't get them to stop rubbing the sides of the shock.

Anyone else experience this.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Don't get me wrong the shocks seem to work very well in driving conditions, I guess I'm just used to tamiya shocks for on-road, they are the best out there.

I'll have to give AE springs a try, are they wider than the tamiya springs
Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

I'm wanting to buy a center one-way, i've always like the feel of a center one-way on my buggy. I've read the front one-way isn't that great and most people end up not using it, anyone have experience with the center unit.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

The AE springs appear to have the same inner diameter as the Tamiya springs. Basically they are a direct fit.

The spring rates are different between AE and Tamiya, but not by much. I found the AE springs more useful when extra weight was added to my DB-01. They seemed smoother to me than the Tamiya springs and that is tough for me to admit because I am a huge fan of all things Tamiya..

Don't get me wrong the shocks seem to work very well in driving conditions, I guess I'm just used to tamiya shocks for on-road, they are the best out there.

I'll have to give AE springs a try, are they wider than the tamiya springs
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I used the Center One-Way for a couple years and found it most useful on smooth indoor clay tracks (medium grip). The Front One-Way is designed for high grip tracks like carpet, tarmac or astroturf. I only race on outdoor dirt and indoor clay, so I never tried a Front One-Way.

The Center One-Way was nice on the indoor tracks. It provided a little more steering control and grip through the turns when I was off power or when I was turning in with the brake applied.

It didn't perform quite as well on low grip/loose dirt outdoor tracks where consistent front wheel power helped with control (at least with the way I drive).

I would often switch between indoor clay and outdoor dirt, so I more recently removed the Center One-Way and switched to the Double Slipper Clutch. It seemed to be the best balance when you are racing on very different track conditions.

If you only race on indoor clay or higher grip tracks, then a Center One-Way is pretty much they way to go.

Hope this helps.

I'm wanting to buy a center one-way, i've always like the feel of a center one-way on my buggy. I've read the front one-way isn't that great and most people end up not using it, anyone have experience with the center unit.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mines 95% built, just need to put electronics in it. I'm thinking about putting my castle sct system in it.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

this 4wd is awsome for the price. My sun runs his and does real well with it. as for the shocks rubbing you may have the wrong pistons in it or built them wrong. the stock plastic shocks are awsome and work well.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any durga love? lol
Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

No, My buddies db01r shocks are doing the same thing. The tamiya springs are to skinny. I'm using trf dampers if that makes difference, not the plastic durga shocks. It only rubs the rear shocks.

Anyway, I switched to associated springs, and they work great. I also polished the outer shock casings with Mothers polish, and they look 10 times better

Last edited by kylehirano; 06-03-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

I really enjoy this buggy, but it's a tank compared to some others I've had, and isn't the lightest, but the weight doesn't seem to affect it's performance, this buggy straight rips it.

I am looking for ways to shave weight, any ideas other than the graphite composite chassis, which has the battery slots cut out. Don't like the battery slots, but a lot of the db01 weight is in the tub chassis. I've swicthed out stock turnbuckles for titanium ones, and have put aluminum screws in low stress areas. What about carbon fiber shock towers, not sure if they would any lighter or better then the stock ones. Any ideas
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Someone suggested to shave weight by buying a TRF511x

I told him I would love a 511x but, until you can beat me with it, and when your not cleaning and rebuilding the drivetrain every run I'll consider one.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

rebuilding the drivereain??? we have diff covers.. no drivetrain issues.

Someone suggested to shave weight by buying a TRF511x

I told him I would love a 511x but, until you can beat me with it, and when your not cleaning and rebuilding the drivetrain every run I'll consider one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.