Community
Wiki Posts
Search

POLL: Lipo or Nimh

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My vote is with LIPO. Most of the tracks in this area (Oralndo) allow it, and some encourage it. It's the future of electric.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Lipo (& brushless) for me.

Can't beat the convience of lipo: Leave the battery in the buggy and top it back off. No cycling, no discharging, no cooking cells (I had mastered that one ). I watch my lipo's charging and the temp never goes up by more than 3-4 degrees during the charge.

I actually have time to work on my set-up and improve my driving skills - what little I have I can also spend some time with the family during the evenings, instead of maintaining my batteries (& motors).

There were a couple of comments on the higher voltage. Check your speedo (or receiver for nitro guys) for its input voltage rating, I know the GTB's I use are rated for 1.2V/cell or 2-cell lipo. If your esc is rated for 7 cells or more than it can take the 2-cell lipos voltage of 7.4 volts. Spektrum receivers can take up to 9.6 volts. The servos may be a problem but you can purchase a regulator for $30.

Just my $.02
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am looking at doing lipos for next year. I like the concept of using 1 battery for the entire day instead of multiples. With my daughter getting more interest in the hobby, it would work out quite well to only have two packs, 1 in each car to worry about instead of the warchest of packs I would need.

Right now, Nimh packs for me.

Anyone look more into those LIMN packs? They don't go boom, pricey, but if thats your worry, they don't. Would like to know how good they are.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I am looking at doing lipos for next year. I like the concept of using 1 battery for the entire day instead of multiples. With my daughter getting more interest in the hobby, it would work out quite well to only have two packs, 1 in each car to worry about instead of the warchest of packs I would need.

Right now, Nimh packs for me.

Anyone look more into those LIMN packs? They don't go boom, pricey, but if thats your worry, they don't. Would like to know how good they are.
Cain - Check out this post from MrBlack about Orion's packs:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...1&postcount=41
That would explain why Orion claims their packs don't go boom.

And I'm still looking for a report of a Orion pack fire. Nothing to date.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

nimh
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

I use both but believe that Lipo and Brushless is the future of the sport. I also have seen alot more NiMh batteries go boom than lipos catch fire. I have only seen one lipo swell up but it did not bust and catch fire.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by sport10
I use both but believe that Lipo and Brushless is the future of the sport. I also have seen alot more NiMh batteries go boom than lipos catch fire. I have only seen one lipo swell up but it did not bust and catch fire.
i heard from a lot of people the the lipo go BOOM more then the nimh..
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Lipo
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MADMAN23
Just out of curiosity, how many verified lipo fires have you heard of in the last couple of years? Not counting Youtube videos and all the purposely caused fires of course.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Lipo does not explode like a NiMh cell does. It bust and catches fire. What would you rather have a can explode and send shrapnel into you or a pouch bust and catch fire. Both are bad things to consider but is NiMh really safer than Lipo. I disagree especially after seeing and hearing NiMh explode. I remember hearing about a nimh battery exploding and embedding itself into a racers leg at silverstate too.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
And I'm still looking for a report of a Orion pack fire. Nothing to date.
I can personally vouch for the fact that a peak LiPo actually STOPPED a fire.

My speedo shorted out bad, and it caught fire. The fuse in the end of the 4800 blew and it went out before the car was totally consumed. The battery was history at that point, but it's way better than having a melted car.

And for the "LiPo goes boom" crowd...crack a book, get a life and maybe you'd learn something. A mylar pouch doesn't have enough strength to provide the containment necessary to create an explosion. Yes, some LiPo cells (not Peak/Orion), can catch fire, but none can explode.

All batteries can go south...they can all cause damage...ONLY NiMh can explode...and they do it regularly. They're in a sealed steel can (aka: "a bomb") I've heard three of them personally, one just last week. Meanwhile, the only LiPo fire any of you have seen is likely to be on YouTube.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

I heard that Bigfoot was really Elvis in disguise.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I can personally vouch for the fact that a peak LiPo actually STOPPED a fire.

My speedo shorted out bad, and it caught fire. The fuse in the end of the 4800 blew and it went out before the car was totally consumed. The battery was history at that point, but it's way better than having a melted car.

And for the "LiPo goes boom" crowd...crack a book, get a life and maybe you'd learn something. A mylar pouch doesn't have enough strength to provide the containment necessary to create an explosion. Yes, some LiPo cells (not Peak/Orion), can catch fire, but none can explode.

All batteries can go south...they can all cause damage...ONLY NiMh can explode...and they do it regularly. They're in a sealed steel can (aka: "a bomb") I've heard three of them personally, one just last week. Meanwhile, the only LiPo fire any of you have seen is likely to be on YouTube.

I know this guy who left a phase wire of and BOOOOOM!!!!! Lots of smoke. See those Lipos are dnagerous!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer
I know this guy who left a phase wire of and BOOOOOM!!!!! Lots of smoke. See those Lipos are dnagerous!
Yeah, that guy is an idiot...LOL

I hear the LiPo was fine, though.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LiPo all the way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.