Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year? >

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Since this is an Off Road thread what does it matter in this forum the length of TC race or if it needs a hardcase li-po?

The Indy 500 has 4 laps of qualifying for it and they don't just race for 4 laps in the Indy 500 or the Daytona 500 or the Talledega 500 or etc. so why race a main the same length as the qualifiers?
Fair enough...but still not an answer to the question.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

20 minute mains are a standard with our nitro brothers that have grown by large numbers while electric with it's 5 minute mains have shrunk and in alot of places disappeared all together until the 8000 mah li-po and brushless motors came along reviving electric racing again. We have a good field of 20 minute li-po trucks here in the Carolinas every week at several tracks in the area and we even invite out gas truck brothers to race with us also to keep that class alive.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How can R.O.A.R. make lipo's legal when you have so many different MA's out there? 3300's, 4900's, 8000's, come on it would be a cluster. Its one thing to race at jimmys joe jim bobs racetrack, run what ya brung because he is just trying to make a buck. But at the same time how about some rules about these cells? Just like with the nickle metals make it a some what level field at least say what milamp's you can go up to (Example 4800 is the max) but as with all good things as soon as these get more it to the "mainstream" instead of for the bashers & Craps the voodoo will start & the prices will go up & the life of the cells will go down (Think back to the 1200 red wrap cells or the 1700 black wrap cells).
Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Speedracer19
How can R.O.A.R. make lipo's legal when you have so many different MA's out there? 3300's, 4900's, 8000's, come on it would be a cluster. Its one thing to race at jimmys joe jim bobs racetrack, run what ya brung because he is just trying to make a buck. But at the same time how about some rules about these cells? Just like with the nickle metals make it a some what level field at least say what milamp's you can go up to (Example 4800 is the max) but as with all good things as soon as these get more it to the "mainstream" instead of for the bashers & Craps the voodoo will start & the prices will go up & the life of the cells will go down (Think back to the 1200 red wrap cells or the 1700 black wrap cells).
Can I ask what difference it makes if the race lengths are not changed weather it is a 4400 or an 8000 mah for 5 minutes. Now if they go to 20 minute mains like the exhibition race at the Nats this year 8000 mah would be a good battery choice even though the winner Maifield tied 2 prototype LRP 5000 mah li-pos together for 10,000 mahs that even Maifield said 1 5000 mah battery would have made 20 minutes at the NM track. The only advantage the bigger mah li-po gives in off-road racing is runtime.

I hardly call Maifield, Cavaleiri, Truhe, Howart, Perez, etc, bashers at the Nats this year.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

just to throw some ideas into the ring.

Current NiMh cell legalisation is done by cell size and homologation list. then, any approved cell can be bought from the manufacturer by the matcher and made up and sold.
NiMh packs are not homologated, only single cells are and the rules state a MAX number of these homologated cells.

with LiPo the equivilant of a cell size such as SubC for NiMh does not exist, so many different cell configurations to make up 7.4v packs for example, 2s1p, 2s2p etc...

all NiMh packs are 6s1p, there is NO other variation...

could this principle be used to guide LiPo cell make-up? legality? etc...

would be interested to know your thoughts...
Old 09-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Doughty
just to throw some ideas into the ring.

Current NiMh cell legalisation is done by cell size and homologation list. then, any approved cell can be bought from the manufacturer by the matcher and made up and sold.
NiMh packs are not homologated, only single cells are and the rules state a MAX number of these homologated cells.

with LiPo the equivilant of a cell size such as SubC for NiMh does not exist, so many different cell configurations to make up 7.4v packs for example, 2s1p, 2s2p etc...

all NiMh packs are 6s1p, there is NO other variation...

could this principle be used to guide LiPo cell make-up? legality? etc...

would be interested to know your thoughts...
My opinion is that all makes more difference with the on-road and oval guys than the off-road side due to driver being more of the equation than battery. Look at some of the mod guys using 5 cells instead of 6. Slick off road tracks can be over powered with todays motors very easy and more battery voltage is going to make that worse, but more mahs is only giving more runtime.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

I agree, in off-road, nobody is using the fastest available motors (i.e 3.5 brushless motor) with Nimh or Lipo with any success.

I would imagine the big problem is with the lack of uniformity with lipo cell sizes and capacities. As a sanctioning body making rules for the industry, which size and capacity would you legalize and tell all the manufacturers to base their car designs on?

More capacity lets you gear higher to go faster. Mah does effect speed to some degree, given race length and other factors.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCTEN.
Well, hopefully it will be a popular class. lipos are still relatively new but i can't really see r/c not adapting to the lipo/brushless technology. it's coming, and in some cases already here. i think all we have to do is wait and try and prove that it is part of the new rc era.
LIPO SUCKS.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And why is it they suck???
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by alexb2000
And why is it they suck???
Some people cant afford lipo's, and there mainly for "bashing".

if you put 2 stk cars together on has 4200's and one has Lipo, who's got the advantage? ive had lipo before and there great for club racing, but big events should not allow them.

just my opinion. sorry if I came of like a Jerk.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I agree, in off-road, nobody is using the fastest available motors (i.e 3.5 brushless motor) with Nimh or Lipo with any success.

I would imagine the big problem is with the lack of uniformity with lipo cell sizes and capacities. As a sanctioning body making rules for the industry, which size and capacity would you legalize and tell all the manufacturers to base their car designs on?

More capacity lets you gear higher to go faster. Mah does effect speed to some degree, given race length and other factors.
Scrubb: I like the avatar.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

i believe lipo should be allowed, but should have its own class. there should be a mod nimh 5 cell class. and another lipo class. only allow lipos in some classes though. like the mod buggy and truck class and thats it.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The good old days of brushed motors and nickel batteries are coming to an end and propaganda from "badass" sponsored stock racers can no longer create the FUD that is needed to hold the technology back. Game over.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Touring is the only class in which the cells might make a noticeable differance. However, lipos are built to handle a higher current draw which means that hotter motors could be used. As far as new comers entering a hobby i'm pretty sure that plenty of people jump head 1st in to 1/8th scale buggy and manage to find their feet. Lipo//brushless will allow people to run their cars for long periods of time with very little maintanance. A well running car will help to keep people interested in the hobby.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I have to say with my meager experience that brushless and 4200 NiMH is off the hook! BUT, if it were a 20 minute+ main though yeah lipo would be better! But, we ran a 15 minute main in Hutch and 4200's were plenty, but that was in the stock class, mod would sure be different! The money thing is a big thing though! I just got 3 4200's for a hundred bucks! I dont know of many lipos I could get for a hundred bucks?

Its just My $0.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.