R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

I have heard conflicting stories about whether or not ROAR is going to approve LI-PO batteries this year. Does anyone know what the deal is? Thanks.
AndyH5212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hope so, or it'll will all but destroy electric racing.

At the very least... allow brushless in all classes...

(My $0.02)
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Although I like LIPO for reliability, longevity, and cost... it has a HUGE FLAW. Voltage.

I have talked with many people in the industry, and they all agree 1/10 RC should go to 5-cells. And not just mod tc, every discipline and every class, stock to mod. I agree. Right now, 6 cells is 7.2v and 2s Lipo is 7.4v no big deal. But 5 cells is 6.0v, the right range. There is no way to get Lipo in that range. It is simply 3.7 or 7.4.. to little or too much...lose-lose. The real change to reduce cost all around... tire wear, cheaper battery, longer motor life, longer electronics life, ect. ect...

I have been through a voltage reduction. I used to run Paved Oval, back in the 6-cell days. It was unbelieve able. Then.. 2400s came around and we were able to go further with the motors, down to 11 and 10 turns, just too fast...a change was needed. That change was 4 cells.

Although 4 cells is a drastic improvement from 6, oval took a huge hit and is still dying..why? Because, instead of all the governing bodies and local tracks getting together and making a unanimus move to 4 cells, many didn't for even a year or two. Then resistance split the few oval racers into more groups, that were smaller and some slowly faded away.

I call upon ROAR and IFMAR, EFRA and the other governing bodies and large race promotors (Mike Boylan, Scotty Ernst, Jimmy Babcock) to go 5 cells across the board on January 1st, 2008 to save our beloved hobby.

PS, legalizing Stock and 19t Brushless equivalents, is next task, a very important and vital one...
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've heard through a reliable source (local state racer) the Touring car series here in florida will allow lipo's next year. ROAR is looking into making some type of rules reguarding lipo, but who really knows till the end of the year. Most club tracks already allow them, more people are buying them, reguardless of the old voltage arguement lipo's are here to stay.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
TLRacing

LIPOs are flawed... I would like the see the manufacturer's fix them, make them 3.0v per cell (if possible), then we can run LIPOs without the insane voltage...
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Old 08-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post
LIPOs are flawed... I would like the see the manufacturer's fix them, make them 3.0v per cell (if possible), then we can run LIPOs without the insane voltage...
Well, I wouldn't say they were flawed because they are 3.7V per cell. That's chemistry and it's not easy to alter that. I think the reason you claim it's flawed is you have a set mind on 5 cell racing and anything that doesn't fit into that you will claim as flawed. More power to you but I have a feeling it will be easier to convince people to move towards lipo over 5 cell.....
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
I have a feeling it will be easier to convince people to move towards lipo over 5 cell.....
I think you are right. I still don't think that is in the best interest of the hobby moving forward. I think the best result is..2s Lipos that are 6.0V, or close. I know the chemistry won't be easy, but neither was nuclear power, or fitting 4200mAh into a sub C cell, or making the first 3.7V Lipo cells, but the need was there and it got done.. is this much different?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
I think you are right. I still don't think that is in the best interest of the hobby moving forward. I think the best result is..2s Lipos that are 6.0V, or close. I know the chemistry won't be easy, but neither was nuclear power, or fitting 4200mAh into a sub C cell, or making the first 3.7V Lipo cells, but the need was there and it got done.. is this much different?
I think it actually is pretty difficult. Batteries put out the voltage per cell due to their chemistry. You'd either need a voltage regulator or new cell chemistry as for as I know. And god knows there would still be voltage arguments over slight differences in nominal voltages like there is currently.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Turn down your speed controll, Run a smoother profile, add some weight,Or run a slower brushless if your have traction problems. Lipos are the future of electric.I 4 see a Lipo brushless class that will have 10 minute Quals and 15 to 20 minute mains in the future. I think that would sway a bunch of people away from 8th scale nitro racing.

Quote:
Although I like LIPO for reliability, longevity, and cost... it has a HUGE FLAW. Voltage.

I have talked with many people in the industry, and they all agree 1/10 RC should go to 5-cells. And not just mod tc, every discipline and every class, stock to mod. I agree. Right now, 6 cells is 7.2v and 2s Lipo is 7.4v no big deal. But 5 cells is 6.0v, the right range. There is no way to get Lipo in that range. It is simply 3.7 or 7.4.. to little or too much...lose-lose. The real change to reduce cost all around... tire wear, cheaper battery, longer motor life, longer electronics life, ect. ect...

I have been through a voltage reduction. I used to run Paved Oval, back in the 6-cell days. It was unbelieve able. Then.. 2400s came around and we were able to go further with the motors, down to 11 and 10 turns, just too fast...a change was needed. That change was 4 cells.

Although 4 cells is a drastic improvement from 6, oval took a huge hit and is still dying..why? Because, instead of all the governing bodies and local tracks getting together and making a unanimus move to 4 cells, many didn't for even a year or two. Then resistance split the few oval racers into more groups, that were smaller and some slowly faded away.

I call upon ROAR and IFMAR, EFRA and the other governing bodies and large race promotors (Mike Boylan, Scotty Ernst, Jimmy Babcock) to go 5 cells across the board on January 1st, 2008 to save our beloved hobby.

PS, legalizing Stock and 19t Brushless equivalents, is next task, a very important and vital one...
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03 View Post
Turn down your speed controll, Run a smoother profile, add some weight,Or run a slower brushless if your have traction problems. Lipos are the future of electric.I 4 see a Lipo brushless class that will have 10 minute Quals and 15 to 20 minute mains in the future. I think that would sway a bunch of people away from 8th scale nitro racing.
Trust me when I say I can handle the power, that's not the issue. We need new people into the hobby and the speed of the cars isn't helping them stay..
Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I understand new racers maybe needing to slow their cars down to learn driving skills, but I am completely baffled why veteran and/or expert racers would want to purposly slow their rides down People who are lobbying for a reduction in voltage shouldn't be lobbying for it across the board, just for the beginners. The expert classes should be left alone. Take mod tc for example....if you have to run 5 cells...you shouldn't be running mod. You need to drop down to stock or 19T. I think I would quit racing if governing bodies implemented rules that take a step backward like that. That's rediculous.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Huh?

A LiPo pack has LESS voltage than a current NiMh battery pack. It's nominally higher (the "name" is larger) than NiMh, but it actually has less voltage (8.4v max, vs. 9.0v+ for NiMh).

The really funny thing is that you can surf these same forums and find threads started by people who are complaining that they got ripped off and are going slower...go figure...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was told that any Roar race can make a deviation to the rules with both Lipo and brushless as long as they clearly state on all registration forms and any advertisment for the race that they are legal in what ever class they state.
huskerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron P View Post
Take mod tc for example....if you have to run 5 cells...you shouldn't be running mod. You need to drop down to stock or 19T.
Do you follow the TC seen much? You realize that Reinhard, Hara, Juho and all the World's best find an advantage with 5 cells. Trust me when I say those WORLD CHAMPIONS can handle the power...but Lap times are slower, tires wear is worse..batteries are more expensive...
Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

speed controls could be designed to limit 6.0v going to the motor regadless of input voltage wether its NiMH or Lipo.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote