Wiki Posts
Search

GTB users

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default GTB users

Anyone ever use a different fan? I want to put one in FRONT of my ESC and blow it across like Maifield did in his B4. This will cut down on any clearance issues. I also want to put in a bigger (thicker) fan that will increase airflow, but my question for that is do I have to do anything different when connecting it to the esc, or can I just splice it in to what was on there now?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have this on my B4:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=18406

This one can also be used... http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=19683

They're plug and play
Old 06-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the stock one is 30x30x7mm and it hits the body and lifts it up.

I ended up ordering this

Seems to be pretty fat would should mean more airflow. Hopefully its not tall.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have also used a computer fan. I bought one similar to this:
http://www.directron.com/ec3010m05ca.html . There was one fan I bought but I don't remember where I bought it from but it was very durable. Just do a search for 30mm x 30mm x (7mm to 10mm) 5V computer fans. Make sure it is 5V.

Also, a guy at the track uses the smaller black Novak fan too and he says that one is a bit more durable than the GTB fan.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well I had to tell y'all what happened to me with a stock one. It ended up getting hung up on the body after a flip and all of the sudden about 20 sec. later my car was smoking, always a bad sign. Sure enough it was the lovely GTB (yeah,$180 smokin') sitting there melting away because the fan fin was jammed on the body. So now Im assed out of my baby GTB. So Im debating on getting a different ESC or stick with GTB and get a HD fan.

Does anybody put a piece of lexan on bottom of GTB then shrinkwrap it to be water resistant? If not then do it, It will save ya if ever a quick rainfall or accident.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Shrinkwrap? Wouldnt that cut off any air to it at all?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

I use the Novak GTB Spread Spektrum ESC with a 5.5 sintered rotor motor in my AE T-4 truck in 20 minute mains all the time without the fan....I take it off because you don't need it with the sintered rotor.

Tomorrow the ROAR Nats will have a 20 minute Li-po Brushless race with Cavalairi, Maifield, Truhe, Perez, Easton with other factory sponsored racers...Novak and LRP/Orion is well represented along with Tekin's new brushless system including Peak/Orions, MaxAmps, Tekin and Checkpoint having li-po batteries with they're name on them.

Tune in tomorrow on www.liverc.com
Old 06-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Well trucks prolly dont need one because the air can get in, and theres a lot of room. Im basically thinking about my CR. I am going to get a 7.5 sintered, and only running 19T or stock racing.

I will also be racing in 100+ degree temps I believe next Sunday at Hemet, CA. Then again in Saugus.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't use a fan in my B4, using a 5.5 motor with a sintered rotor.

20-25 minute runs, it's around 125 degrees.

I wouldn't change the heatsink. You want more fins, not larger gaps for cooling. The more surface area the heatsink has (more fins) the more efficient it will be at cooling.