Wiki Posts
Search

AE new 4wd Buggy spotted at SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
The majority of cars readily available in the US are too fragile. The XXX4, BJ4WE both have front end durability issues. When we had a class locally here it wouldn't be unheard of for the 8 cars who started the race to be down to 2 or 3 by the end of the run. I got out simply because I got tired of not finishing races.

On the XXX4 the spindle carriers are worthless (one guy actually broke one simply turning at the end of the straight).

On the BJ4WE even the heavy duty arms crack if you don't land a jump perfectly. And front shock towers crack at a rate of 1-2 per race day.

I've heard good things about the kyosho's durability. Those 3 are really the only cars that were ever run at our local track.

If AE can come up with a TRULY durable car then it would definately have something worth looking into.
I have the Lazer and it's got it's own host of durability issues. But, just like most cars out there, you have to replace a couple parts with aftermarket parts, and you are good to go. Also, like mfishel said, it helps to keep the shiny side up. That's my main problem. Regardless, it would be nice to see a 4WD car that is as durable as a 2WD buggy. However, that might be having my cake and eating it too. It will be interesting to see what Team Associated comes up with.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I personally don't thnk is very realistic. They in fact are as duable as a 2 wheel.......if you disconnect the front drive train. Four wheels pulling allows you to drive any car that much harder and with very wild motors, well when they hit something they are going to break unless they are made of hardend steel.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I think there's one big (well, maybe two...LOL) differences in durability between 2wd and 4wd:

1) 2wd has kickup and/or huge caster relative to a 4wd, whick has caster similar to a touring car. If you hit something with a 2wd, the wheel will go UP almost as much as it will go back. Back breaks things -- up moves the suspension. I can't help but think that it has some effect.

2) Morons like me who would never even consider jumping into the "deep end" with mod 2wd will run mod 4wd...hence the added breakage.

I love my Lazer, though. It's probably the funnest car I've ever owned. Sure, I break it, but parts are cheap and it's SOOOOOOO fast and handles so well (at least that I can tell...LOL) that it just makes me smile when I drive it. I smiled with my XXX-4 too...but the parts bill was making me
Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Initiate

i think buying jconcept would be a better thing to do then developing a new car...the bj4 uses 80% ae parts anyway an jason is allredy a team driver isnt he ?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

i dunno what u guys do to ur bj4 we cars but ive had mine land some seriously bad crashes and even a run away where it was running of like it was a batt to mtor straight connection when i blew my gtx and i ran into a 120 mm thick bit of pipe and didnt do a thing to it

i also ran it straight into a brick wall of a main straight due to loss of radio and broke nothin
Old 06-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

^^^ I'd ask what you do to yours? I've seen more broken front arms from even just grazing the pipe from numerous guys in my area.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I got tired of replacing arms on my non worlds too. A year ago, I bought the aluminum b4 arms front and rear. In that years time,(running twice a week, May until october) I've broken two steering knuckles, popped the ball cups a few times,and broken four ball cups. I also installed a GPM b4 front bumper which helps with bad front end landings. Parts breakage is minimal now, even with a 5.5 novak GTB
Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

still no actual pics of the buggy?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
The majority of cars readily available in the US are too fragile. The XXX4, BJ4WE both have front end durability issues. When we had a class locally here it wouldn't be unheard of for the 8 cars who started the race to be down to 2 or 3 by the end of the run. I got out simply because I got tired of not finishing races.

On the XXX4 the spindle carriers are worthless (one guy actually broke one simply turning at the end of the straight).

On the BJ4WE even the heavy duty arms crack if you don't land a jump perfectly. And front shock towers crack at a rate of 1-2 per race day.

I've heard good things about the kyosho's durability. Those 3 are really the only cars that were ever run at our local track.

If AE can come up with a TRULY durable car then it would definately have something worth looking into.
The 4WD cars aren't as fragile as people think. Any car is going to break when you tumble or hit a pipe at mach 5 LOL.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I agree about the speed issue. When mod is pretty much the default class for 4wd electric buggy, at those speeds that can be achieved as you have much more traction, when you hit stuff the car will break.

I really think that buggies need to be designed with alittle more meat to them. yes, you will weigh a bit more, but, when running mod, you can always just go to more power and battery packs now provide plenty of power and runtime. Besides, if you can't finish the race, what does it matter you were alittle lighter?

As for 4wd class here in the USA, it AE throws there hat into the ring, could see a really big pickup in the class. There are good options out there right now, but the battle between the Big Two is missing.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MXer92
The 4WD cars aren't as fragile as people think. Any car is going to break when you tumble or hit a pipe at mach 5 LOL.
Exactly!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would recomend to those that complain about breaking in 4 mod.......run 4 stock, then see how much less you break. HMMMMMMMMM?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

well when your stuck in 4mod only due to no 4stock class, you just need to drive better....
Old 06-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

run a 19t in the 4wh mod class.when i first started mod i tried like a 12 turn, and was over diving, went to a 19 turn and my laps were faster then the 12 turn, and i was consistantly in the top 5 of the field locally..
Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I wonder if this car is for real or not!!! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.