Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promotional Class Added to 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up ROAR!
I am a diehard electric racer and started running 1/8 nitro buggy simply because there has not been a lot of interest in electric racing. Not much fun to travel out of town to only race a handful of people. I can't make it to NM, but if this class becomes official I will definitely be running in it.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Look for representives from all the brushless system manufacturers and a few li-po manufacturers at this race is a true test for the best in this 20 minute race!

I have already heard Hacker and Tekin will be there along with Team Novak and it would surprise me if Team AE unleashes they're top gun arsenal of drivers to showcase the LRP brushless system that is if nickel battery sponsorships keeps them out of this race!!!! It will be interesting to see who can and can not run this class at the Nats!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I think it will be more interesting to see which systems can actually endure the race and if any of the sensor less systems show up w/ a few tricks up their sleeves to really get rid of cogging issues.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Wonder if Tebo will race the new Checkpoint brushless motor?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

I heard that Ryan Cavalieri will be running in the class for Orion. Just a rumor though. It came from a pretty reliable source though.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Orange
I heard that Ryan Cavalieri will be running in the class for Orion. Just a rumor though. It came from a pretty reliable source though.
I heard that Truhe was also going to race in it too!

Also let me add this class will be the topic of discussion on the "RC Race'N Radio" program this Wednesday night at 8 pm. I will be a quest on the show to discuss this new ROAR class and the future of electric racing with li-pos and brushless.

Here is a link to listen in or you can download the archived show afterwards too: http://www.rcradioshow.com/
Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe Frank Root and Kyle Boice are going to enter the LiPo/BL class too.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

I just hope they stick to the 20 minute "A" main length of race which is the purpose of the class to make Electric Racing attractive again to the RC masses!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

That will stay in place. No need to worry about that.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Orange
That will stay in place. No need to worry about that.
Good deal!!!

I would like to see bump ups allowed and change it from brushless only to any electric motor, but this is ROAR's show and not mine!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
Good deal!!!

I would like to see bump ups allowed and change it from brushless only to any electric motor, but this is ROAR's show and not mine!!!!
I don't think that the bump up thing will happen. Not to say I don't like the idea, but I think that a racing program needs to stay course and all the classes shoud be done the same for the most part. In this case the only thing that is different is the time for the mains and qualies. It could be possible to allow the other types of motors though.... Not my call, but maybe it can be brought up during drivers meeting and discussed a little. I certainly don't have any problem with it and I do not think anyone else would either.

Personally though, if there is to be a class that is touted "The electric class of the future" then don't you think that maybe the suppposed "Products" that are touted as the "Future" of the sport should be promoted as such? Not to abandon any of the brushed stuff, but really I think that the class needs to be signified to one type of motor rules so that it doesn't get too complicated to tech in the future. Not only that, but the class is pretty much a brushless type of race. Even if they are allowed, I do not think you will see many, if any, that will try to run a brushed motor.

And if you think about it... We have Stock (A brushed class) 19t (Brushed) and Modified (Brushed/Brushless mixed). Maybe there should be a class designated only for Brushless?

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Orange; 06-05-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

I just mentioned the any electric motor thing to keep tech very simple to none because it is a 2wd class and you are limited to 7.4 volt li-pos that has to have the power hooked to the track. We have had 20 minute races won by brushed motors with the correct gearing and hard brushes it can be done with no problem, but those guys eventually end up with brushless due to the low maintence of it and cooler operating temps. It is very easy with 2wd to over motor the truck.

Just an option to be discussed to allow anybody to race in it that wants to as sort of an open class on motors.

I can't wait to see this class at NM!!! I love it!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=Orange;3369552]I don't think that the bump up thing will happen. Not to say I don't like the idea, but I think that a racing program needs to stay course and all the classes shoud be done the same for the most part. In this case the only thing that is different is the time for the mains and qualies. It could be possible to allow the other types of motors though.... Not my call, but maybe it can be brought up during drivers meeting and discussed a little. I certainly don't have any problem with it and I do not think anyone else would either.

Personally though, if there is to be a class that is touted "The electric class of the future" then don't you think that maybe the suppposed "Products" that are touted as the "Future" of the sport should be promoted as such? Not to abandon any of the brushed stuff, but really I think that the class needs to be signified to one type of motor rules so that it doesn't get too complicated to tech in the future. Not only that, but the class is pretty much a brushless type of race. Even if they are allowed, I do not think you will see many, if any, that will try to run a brushed motor.

And if you think about it... We have Stock (A brushed class) 19t (Brushed) and Modified (Brushed/Brushless mixed). Maybe there should be a class designated only for Brushless?

Brush motor`s can do this type of racing , just use a light spring, a set of XXX brush`s and gear down a bit ...
A brush motor can run up to 10 hr`s continuously this way ....

We do it all the time ....
Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Regarding what brushless makes a 20 min race...

I have run both the Mamba Max 4600 and 5700 and both will easily make this run and then some with no worries. MaxAmps 8k Lipo with a 5700 running 17/87 is what I will be running for summer nitro fest at The Farm this coming weekend. After a 20 min run plus a few minutes of warm up on a short tight track, I don't believe I have topped 160 degrees at the can and 130 at the ESC. They are rated to 200.

The castle systems offer huge torque, but can be a bit fussy on the cogging issue if you are a "trigger pulsing" style of driver. They like smooth trigger a little better.

We do have a regular showing of brushed motors in the 20 min main though and one that is a consistent winner...
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
I just mentioned the any electric motor thing to keep tech very simple to none because it is a 2wd class and you are limited to 7.4 volt li-pos that has to have the power hooked to the track. We have had 20 minute races won by brushed motors with the correct gearing and hard brushes it can be done with no problem, but those guys eventually end up with brushless due to the low maintence of it and cooler operating temps. It is very easy with 2wd to over motor the truck.

Just an option to be discussed to allow anybody to race in it that wants to as sort of an open class on motors.

I can't wait to see this class at NM!!! I love it!
I think it will be great too. Just remember what I told you about the track. Hard surface, super traction wheelie poppin fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.