Wiki Posts
Search

electric rustler some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 PM
qdv
Tech Initiate

Default electric rustler some questions

1. I read about aluminum idler gear but still not sure what it really does, and where do you install that part? (between spur and pinion gear??)

2. I'm getting mamba system soon, probably 5700 or 7700, what is a good gear ratio so it does wheelie easily and have good speed run? (I am thinking 12/90, but if you have better idea please tell.) and which site is selling it for cheap?

thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

1. The idler is inside the transmission housing. Inside it is the middle of the three gears. The larger is the diff, and the top gear is attached to the slipper shaft only inside the case. If you are going to use the aluminum idler I would recommend you also go with the delrin top gear. The aluminum will more easily get chewed up by the stock steel top gear. Part #'s I think are 1996X and 3195X.

2. Can't help much with gearing.... I run a 12T brushed motor geared at 18/87 I think. As far as Mamba goes the cheapest price I've seen is at Bishop Power Products http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=40. I don't know anything about the place but prices look pretty good with free shipping.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Lightbulb

i got the 77. and i go 40 with just a 2400 mah nicad. it doesent wheelie, but install program, and up it and it will wheelie. i want to change gearing, too but i dont know what to go to either.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
qdv
Tech Initiate

The thing about 7700 is that it only seem to like 15/90 gearing, lower or higher will heat it up a little quicker. What I"m doing now is do everything necessary to keep the heat as low as possible (maybe lots of those integy high speed fans) and bump up the setting in mamba. So far I applied a thermal heat sink, 1 heat sink with 2 fans, 1 fan for esc and it stay cooled after 2 fresh batteries, the 3rd battery will heat the motor up.