Wiki Posts
Search

What stock for truck class?.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
What stock for truck class?.

I'm going to be racing stock truck, at a club, in an area I'm moving to soon. Not having raced (organised) off road for years, I'm a bit out of the loop.

I have a T4 FT, and 3300 packs, so what would be my best match up?. The lhs has a few Integy 27's in stock, but I'm aware that not all stocks suit that type of application... Would the Integy do, or is it an on road revver?.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

personally, i think that the p2k2 motors are basically the best choice for stock truck racing.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

just like every other class co27s, or monster stocks
Old 05-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would consider the 13.5 system see if they will allow a 13.5 brushless stock?
Its a little better than a regular stock motor though. The nice thing you can upgrade motors from there.
This is the way to go.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRHU3&P=7
Old 05-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by action135
personally, i think that the p2k2 motors are basically the best choice for stock truck racing.
Yeah I agree the P2K2 is probably still the best motor for offroad.

But the CO27 is a pretty darn good motor as well. Not as much torque but definetly alot more RPM and better overall feel. Definetly not a Monster, just not enough torque.

If they will allow brushless then as X stated a Novak 13.5 system would definetly be the answer.

Later,
Old 05-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Integy's usually are rebadged versions of other stock motors. Personally, I like motors more on the torque end of things so they can pull the gearing and not run really hot.

A P2k2 or Orion Core I like for stock motors last time I ran stock. Trinity though seems to like to go very RPMish with there motors so keep that in mind. I don't like the monsters but have seen them go very fast on big tracks tuned right. But seen them burn up fast too.

Not sure how competitive stock racing is going to be by you, but I would probably go with a comm lathe as well i fyou haven't done so already. See about getting one with carbide V-blocks. I liked my Integy Mod lathe, and can be had cheap used.

767s are always a good brush to start with too.

Your batts should get you by no problem. Especially starting out.

I will say this, if they will let you run a brushless setup in the stock class, go for it. Its so much less hassle. Even if its not the fastest unit (which to be fair, it shouldn't be as then you will be making mad the guys who have regular brushed stock motors) it will be the most consistent run by run, and you won't be messing with brushes or cutting comms, all that stuff.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you do go brushed, the silver compound brushes seemed to work very well in stock.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the integy stock motors are very fast, but you have to make sure it's the laydown brush one,they also have a slanted brush stock motor,but the brushes are hard to get for the slanted brush type.. integy has the most torque and speed. OR go with the co27.

just make sure you aline the brush hoods,and then use 767 for practice they will get you 6-8 runs, or f brushs for racing they are faster and will get you 4-6 runs. but brush wear depends on how hott you get the motor.

but your packs will make the biggest difference,being 3300s,and the other guys running 4200s will have more voltage and more runtime, you might find yourself alot slower,most likely on the torque side of things.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks guys.

There are some guys there, using b/l "stock", and that is a consideration, for sure. ..... well, using them at club meets, for I'm sure b/l has not been approved for stock, here, so would be a problem, when a sanctioned championship comes around, as the only other stock I posses, is a Midnight 2, from about 10 years ago . Don't think it'll cut it, some how....

The track there is very slick, and bulk power is a disadvantage, at times.... Most of the time, apparently. Just the difference between some thing that just runs sweet, opposed to something that is cooking by 3 minutes, and struggling would be good, and my old batteries should provide that soft edge.

Ha, never been serious enough to own a com lathe, but yeah, I know the benifits. I'm just looking to be able (when I find my o/r race head... I know I left it somewhere) to run with the pack, just not be the snoozer 5 laps down, with the lame horse.....

Thanks again, all. On the strength of this, I'll go and get a P2K2, I think.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Good tool to pickup is a sonic fiddle stick for tuning your springs or trinity's spring thing.

Also, a sanding pen from walmart is the same as the comm pen trinity sells.

Tribo is a nice compound to use. Just 1 drop on 1 brush and your set. brushes lasted longer as well as the comm.

lastly, I also like the 766 brush, lasts longer than the 767 and gives great torque
Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

i like my co27 pro with f-brush and 87/18 in my t4 for offroad.

i like my co27 pro with a 767 and 100/31 in my fk'05 for carpet.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

the p2k2 is definitely the best bet for a slick clay track if that is what you are describing.