Like Tree1Likes

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shurcooL
I appreciate the info ta_man.

It starts to seem to me like it might be a good idea to simply save up for LiPo to begin with... Spending $30 on a cheap nimh stick for mediocre performance with $500 worth of electronics (esc + motor) doesn't really seem worthwhile... :x $100 (2x $50 for good NiMH packs, I'm guessing?) for decent performance might be a better idea, but then why not go all the way to LiPo if I'm spending that much anyway... >.<

Well, I'll see how it goes. I'll try to wait for CC to release their 1:8 combo system with the MMM and a Neu-like motor, as I'm sure that'd save me some money. As long as their Neu-like motor isn't much worse than the authentic one.

But where can I find some info on good LiPo chargers? LiPo batteries? Thanks.
As was mentioned. NiMh will be OK for some fun run time. They are still fast, but obviously not the capacity or performance of the Lipo's. I would not let that hold you back from getting started.

The Duratrax Ice is the best bang for your buck for Lipo charging in my opinion. There are many others to choose from.
Do your homework. Decide what you want how much you can spend and work toward that.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would recommend Hyperion chargers that have the built in balancer. I have owned the 610i-Net and now currently own the Duo charger, and they are simply excellent. Also, you can purchase a kit that allows you to update the software for them online.

Assuming you are overseas, you should give RCLipos a look. He has free worldwide shipping on his items. If your LHS can't get you what you need, he would be a good option.

As for which of the Hyperion chargers to get, first identify what kind of battery requirements you have.

If you are going to do a single 4S or more pack setup, you don't need a Duo. If you are doing 2 seperate packs, or, need to charge a variety of packs at the same time, the Duo is perfect for the job. Amazing charger. Love this thing!!!

I would recommend if you go with a hyperion from RCLipos to also pick up these items:

1. Liposack
2. extended connector for the 2S-6S adapter ( get 2 if getting the duo)
3. Software update kit

You will be all set then.

As for conversions, Dans RCPD conversion gets my vote.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Ty Dan and Cain.

I've found this LiPo charger/balancer summary list from here, and I wonder how accurate it is.

It should make it a whole lot easier for me to choose a good LiPo charger. Cornelius has suggested a couple 4000/4125/5000 4S LiPo packs to me for around $100, so I think I may be able to go for LiPo (whenever I decide to pull the trigger and buy everything)...

Code:
+-----------------------------------+
|  KGLFY's Balance Charger Summary  |
|            27 Apr 2008            |
+-----------------------------------+

Integrated Balance Chargers
===========================
 These offer simplicity and convenience with the balancer and charger combined
 in the same case. Simpler, more convenient, take up less bench space and
 easier to transport.

---------  ------------  --------------  ---------  -----  -------------  -----------  --------------------------------------------
Brand      Model         Chemistry       Balancer   Input  Output         Price (USD)  Notes
---------  ------------  --------------  ---------  -----  -------------  -----------  --------------------------------------------
FMA        Cellpro4S       LiXx only     2s-4s        dc    50W/4A             $75     Excellent, simple, hugely popular, great value
Bantam     eStation BC6     multi        2s-6s      ac/dc   50W/5A            $170     Proven high quality. Integrated ac/dc power supply is great
Hyperion   EOS0606iAD       multi        2s-6s      ac/dc   50W/6A            $150     Integrated ac/dc supply but not as good as the BC6
MegaPower  860DS            multi        2s-6s      ac/dc   50W/6A            $110     Appears to be the same as the Hyperion 0606iAD
TP         TP610            multi        2s-6s        dc    80W/10A           $130     New model from respected TP brand
KongPower  100W6            multi        2s-6s        dc   100W/5A            $150     New model based on the MaxproX6, likely to be just as good
Maxpro     X6               multi        2s-6s        dc   100W/5A            $140     New brand, good user comments so far
iCharger   106B             multi        2s-6s        dc   180W/10A           $100     New brand, good spec.s, good feedback so far
Bantam     BC610            multi        2s-6s        dc   200W/10A           $180     Same great charger as the BC6 but 200W/10A (dc input only)
Hyperion   EOS0610iNET      multi        2s-6s        dc   250W/10A           $170     Most bang for buck in terms of features+output power
Hyperion   EOS0610iDUO      multi        2s-6s x 2    dc   180W/10A each      $270     Very handy if you discharge packs in pairs
Bantam     eStation BC8     multi        2s-8s        dc   150W/7A            $270     Proven high quality
Chargery   1010B            multi        2s-10s       dc   200W/10A           $240     New brand, good spec.s, good feedback so far
iCharger   1010B            multi        2s-10s       dc   200W/10A           $180     New brand, good spec.s, good feedback so far
FMA        Cellpro10S       LiXx only    2s-5s x 2    dc   200W/10A           $190     Not independent dual port. 1A balancer is a strength.
Graupner   Ultra DUO 50     multi        2x-7s x 2  ac/dc  360W/10A           $530     Very impressive beast, but expensive. Integrated AC power supply
                                                                                       for up to 120W max output power, else run it off DC to get 180W/10A
                                                                                       per port or 250W/10A on a single port. Appears to be two independent
                                                                                       channels, each with its own display and controls.

Non-integrated charger+balancer combos
======================================
 This is the older style where the balancer is an add-on accessory to the charger.
 Less convenient since it means more boxes, more cables, more things to configure,
 store and transport.

---------  --------------  --------------  -------------------  -----  -------------  -----------  --------------------------------------------
Brand      Model           Chemistry       Balancer             Input  Output         Price (USD)  Notes
---------  --------------  --------------  -------------------  -----  -------------  -----------  --------------------------------------------
TME        Xtrema          LiXx            BAL+BIM     2s-6s      dc      150W/8A          $265    Includes power meter functions. Complex and expensive
                                           2 x BAL+BIM 2s-12s     dc      150W/8A          $360    Includes power meter functions. Complex and expensive
TP         1010C           multi           210V        2s-10s     dc      220W/10A         $300    Top performer, hugely popular in US
Hyperion   EOS1210i        multi           2 x LBA10   2s-12s     dc      180W/10A         $240    Good value
Bantam     eStation 902    multi           2 x PB6     2s-12s     dc      200W/9.9A        $400    Proven high quality
MEGA POWER Infinity 960SR  multi           1 x LCB12   2s-12s     dc      180W/10A         $200    Good value, great LCD, 2nd NiXx-only port to 
                                                                                                   charge your Tx in parallel with your flight battery

Notes
=====
1) "multi"     means at least:  NiCd/NiMH/Pb/LiPo/LiFe
2) "LiXx only" means at least:  LiPo/LiFe

Last edited by shurcooL; 06-12-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shurcooL
This

P.S. I am planning to stop by the LHS when they re-open next week to ask for some advice, but I find the guy there is generally not very helpful to me and tells me to find out on the internet lol. >.<

The first one pictured "ICE" is a very good lipo charger. It will do up to a 4S lipo. I have 2 of the Hyperion ones you mentioned. They have a little more data such as the voltage of each cell being charged and a built in balancer.

I guess it is ironic that LHS tells you to go do your own research on the Internet and then come back in and he'll order it and then come back in to pick it up. I do think too that they should at least work for your business too. Good luck. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on this thread about the various aspects of the conversions.

BTW if you are in Toronto, you should get in contact with Steve (Mustgofaster) about your local conversion stuff.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lxmuff
The first one pictured "ICE" is a very good lipo charger. It will do up to a 4S lipo. I have 2 of the Hyperion ones you mentioned. They have a little more data such as the voltage of each cell being charged and a built in balancer.
You know, I think that if I'm gonna buy a LiPo charger, I'd want it to be good enough for all my future LiPo needs without needing to upgrade it. For the price of $125 it doesn't seem like really good value. It charges up to 4s LiPo, leaving out the possibility of 5s and 6s. It's also lacking a balancer, which as far as I know (but I'm not sure) you need for LiPos. I'm not sure about its power output, but the current is 8A and it's DC only. No offense, as I'm sure it's a great charger, but not one that I will not outgrow within a year. So I'd rather spend some more money in the first place to get one that'll last longer.

For $170 the Hyperion EOS0610iNET seems to offer much more power and a balancer, as well as up to 6s LiPo charging. On the other hand, it'll need a separate power supply. But the only chargers that have AC/DC built in (at least on that chart above) are limited to 50W output, which I guess may seem pretty low in the future. I can just use a regular 300W or so computer power supply unit with the Hyperion, right?

BTW if you are in Toronto, you should get in contact with Steve (Mustgofaster) about your local conversion stuff.
Thanks for the heads up. I've seen him around on offroadrc.ca forums, and I am planning to ask them a few questions about their experience getting parts for a 1:8 conversion in Toronto.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

During the ROAR Region 1 Electric Off Road 10th Scale Championships (June 20-22 at Glenwood RC Park in Springville, NY) they will be holding an 8th scale electric exhibition class as well.

I will be running 10th Scale 2wd and 4wd Buggy Mod (and possibly e-8th scale if I get finished in time...). I will report back with pics and information....

This is a great opportunity to increase the awareness of e-8th scale.

Last edited by MustGoFaster; 06-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

All my track buddies are trying to get me up to the Glenwood race too. They always put on a good race. If I can make it I will be running mod truck and E 1/8th buggy.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

YES!! I was just about to mention the electric 1/8 exhibition class at Glenwood for the ROAR regional. It's been lonely racing in the 1/8 nitro buggy class the last few weeks, we need more! They put on a great race. The tracks are always amazing and change fairly often. If you're near the Western New York area come on down!! (or up!)
Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This may have already been covered. Against better judgement, I will ask anyway. Any idea when Losi, AE, and the others will be bringing out factory 1/8 scale brushless car/truggies kits?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Post possible nitro shortage

has any one heard about a possible nito shortage in the near future ,seems most if not all of nitomethane is manfactured in china and shipped from china ,with all the earthquake crisis ongoing i'm hearing that production may be slowed down or a temporary shutdown might be necessary til some enviromental questions and safety issues either from the earthquake or from enviromental groups is addressed ,the results may cause prices to go way up its already about 12 to 14.dollars a quart what will it be like in say 6 months from now . hmmm electrics 1/8 scale is starting to look very promising.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I knew it would be a matter of time just go electric i hardly spend any money any more except i buy more tires now because i drive that much more.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Legend

PorTX: there are some spy shots of a losi vehicle that looks to be electric, mainly of it going around the track. Nothing under the covers though. I would say that from the big companies like AE and losi, maybe early to late next year they could have something out. Caster racing should have theres out soon. Looking at the conversions though, you can get a nice ride using some of the nicer conversions out there. The main hodgepodge part IMHO was the electronics. Once Castle starts getting the MMM out again so it works with no issues, you are going to be pretty much golden.

viperbill: I have heard about this on the www.mnnitroseries.com board. With the amount of racing those guys do, I can only imagine how much extra the fuel costs will add to the bottom line.

Who knows, a big spike in fuel price may help push things along for electric conversions. For me, it was the fact that I didn't want to fight with an engine just to have fun, or do wind sprints because I flamed out.

yes, I am fat like that
Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I will say after the initial hit of converting to electric, I really don't spend that much on my car beyond a $5.00 part here and there. At least nothing really necessary to keep it running. Most of the money I spend is because I have a bad habit of experimenting with different setups.

With the cost of lipos falling rapidly, it is very easy to make a financial case of electric over nitro. It cost just as much to build a race quality nitro as it does a race quality electric conversion but we don't have the constant need for nitro...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Edumakated
we don't have the constant need for nitro...
or Clutch shoes, clutch springs, cb bearings, air filters, fuel line, glow plugs, thottle servos, linkages, pipe gaskets, nitro wash, etc, etc.

Plus my car is allways cleaner and so am I.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Legend

I helped a buddy of mine with his vehicle recently for tuning. Man, I forgot how messy you get just from that. You need to darn near where different clothes that you don't mind getting all oily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.