Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Nice to see a big event getting off teh ground for electric 1/8 vehicles
Wont be long before there is ground rules put on paper for the rest of teh world to work off of.

A shot in the dark but does this race have any live timing or coverage online ???
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macr0w
Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to go like that then I guess. I would like to keep as much of the Mugen together as possible.

So the last 2 questions I have would be: Is the RCPD kit compatible with the Mugen diff?
And how does the mount for the esc line up with a Novak HV?

I may just buy a Mamba Max and another can. I know if I take the HV out of my E-Maxx I'm going to miss it.
The hv is far better suited for your E maxx than for your Mugen. If you read back in this thread you'll find where several of us have tried the novak system and the results.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

So what were the results?

It seems like if it would push my 12+ lb tank up to 35 mph it would do even better in a 8 lb buggy.

After today I know I would miss the power in my Maxx. Maybe I'll just get a Mamba Max and a Neu like everyone else.

Here is my tank.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default MECHANICAL BRAKES

I was looking at my RCPD jammin buggy today. I think i may be able to fit FR mechanical brakes in there. RR mechanical brakes would be tougher. How would it affect braking using motor brakes & only FR mechanical brakes ?.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

[QUOTE=macr0w;3930152]So what were the results?

It seems like if it would push my 12+ lb tank up to 35 mph it would do even better in a 8 lb buggy.

After today I know I would miss the power in my Maxx. Maybe I'll just get a Mamba Max and a Neu like everyone else. I thought the same thing as well.
But the buggies will run much hotter and be underpowered compared to the mm-neu or feigao for that matter.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have also thought about using the mechanical brakes on my RC8. They look like they would work VERY well. Using the front/rear bias adjustment would be nice!

Another benefit (I would think...) is that by using mechanical brakes the ESC/Battery/Motor would be less strained/used.

One drawback is the brake servo taking up valuable room in the chassis that could be used for batteries...
Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Getting closer to having my E-RC8 done. Got the car Friday, from Nitrohouse's sale. Got a FP 4S 5000mAh lipo coming this week from local LHS. Just ordered the motor mount/servo mount setup from RCM, along with their long battery tray and some Kyosho 44 tooth plastic spur gears to try. Already have a 1512/2.5D/F motor and CC programmable BEC. Now just need a decent speedo. Gonna try a Tekin R1 Pro when they come out later this month, I think.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro syco
Yes you can use a hardened pinion with steel gears, I am still not sure why the plastic got so popular, I think the plastic is good to have and use but if it isnt a dirrect fit onto your diff I dont see why you would want to spend so much on whatever will make it work. Tony has his reasons with the adapter, but I just dont see the need to buy a whole nother diff.
I had the Ofna spur gear adapter still left over from my old MSR MBX5 truggy conversion as well as the 51T Ofna plastic spurs from the old Strobe Slipper on the SuperMaxx days .....LOL But more importantly I didn't want to buy the Kyosho diff and use it in my Mugen

If anyone with a Mugen wants to run this same setup as me, they'll have to contact Dan at RC Product Designs and get the same motor mounts/center diff uprights. They are raised on the top and bottom to accomdate the taller 51T spur gear as well as spaced to fit the Mugen diff.

Best regards,
Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

done, paid for.....See you guys there!

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
Rules and info on the CRCRC MidWest Electric Championships

Electric 1/8th Buggy - CRCRC MidWest Electric Championships Provisional Class

14.8V maximum any capacity LiPo battery
ANY BRUSHLESS MOTOR - open!
ROAR Legal 1:8 4WD Buggy
MUST MEET WEIGHT REQUIREMENTS
6 minute qualifiers
20 minute A main, B main 10 minutes, the remaining mains, 7 minutes

Dates/Times

Jan 9th Open Practice Noon - 9pm
Jan 10th Open Practice 10am - 9pm
Jan 11th COntrolled Practice 10am - 9pm
Jan 12th 4rnds Qualifing Drivers meeting 7:30am Start ~8am
Jan 13th Mains Drivers meeting 7:30am Start ~8am

SignUps & Registration

For those interested, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and in the subject line say "1/8 scale electric entry" with class, freq 1 and freq 2, shirt size, and transponder #. Then send a payment through paypal using the same e-mail address as the account name ([email protected]). Or fill out an entry form and mark it as 1/8 scale electric then send it to the P.O. Box on the form.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xsxracing
Ok i am going to Convert a 1/8th buggy into an Brushless Buggy

What is a good resonable cheap buggy kit????
I have a great conversion for the Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport. You can get them from Tower Hobby for just over $200.
Even cheaper on Ebay.
I have some used ones I would sell cheap also.
Check out www.rcproductdesigns.com
Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macr0w
Is the Neu 1515H/2Y F the motor I should be looking at for my conversion?
1512 1.5D/F or 1512 2D/F are what we have found to be best.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi, I think that I just kill my first LIPO battery. On the track they were OK temp: 135 F .When I tried to charge it I have CONNECTOR ERROR message on the charger. The voltage look ok, but..............??? !!! ???
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ1978
I have a great conversion for the Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport. You can get them from Tower Hobby for just over $200.
Even cheaper on Ebay.
I have some used ones I would sell cheap also.
Check out www.rcproductdesigns.com
Do you mean buggies with the conversion on them already? if so, where are they listed on your site? I may know someone or a couple of people who could be interested.

Also, for the longer trays, if you want to still use Maxamps packs, do you just use some sort of spacer for the space difference?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a new buggy almost done... it's a weird conversion. I'll get some pics this week sometime.

CRCRC Race: I'm out for sure on this one. It's the same week as a big local race so I won't have anyone to travel with even if I could make it.

Next time I hope they will include it on the nitro weekend, or even just throw us in with the nitros. You might get some #$!%@ about the big buggies tearing up the track, and will miss out on getting the nitro crowd to see them. Also they need to drop the 4s lipo rule... makes no sense at all. But... it does make sense that the electric guys get to see them cause they are more likely to jump on board. It's pretty cool anyway, and I hope their is some good press coverage.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nitro syco
Guys please elighten me, what does the idler gear do?
I think I maybe the only one using one..
It goes between the pinion and the spur gears. It allows me to move the motor over far enough to retain the mechanical bakes and use any gearing I want. the reseason I used such a large gear is that I made a slipper clutch that fits in the same space.
I think I am going to make a new one to use the 13~14 hardened Mod. 1 gear

I have gone to a 50K mix in my center diff. to help keep from driving around with the fronts "diff'ed out" and/or in the air.. the gyro affect of the fronts contribute alot to the wheelies IMO I like it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.