Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 AM
rhino420

Originally Posted by AeRacer805
LBCkevin, This is Josh Barry from Camarillo I was racing on our new off-road track I would like to run this car at Rev, HotRods and OCRC so maybe I'll buy the tekin setup........On second thought I'll gear down two teeth and call Novak to see if they have any suggestions on keeping this ESC from thermaling.

novak at rev is a big no no ! your buggy or truggy will over heat super fast that big 200 ft back straight will eat that motor up. at ocrc the novak system is okay from what i heard but and i have never been to hotrod but its out door so i assume its decent size. so i would say maybe the tekin set up or a castle/nue set up or the castle combo i run the 2200kv in my truggy and 2650 in my buggy at rev. almost every weekend and the castle combo is a proven system i love it and have no desire to even look at the tekin sysem even though i hear its going to be nice.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

I just raced my RC8 with the AE E-Conversion kit with a Novak Hv Speedo and a Novak 7.5 motor, 2 Orion 5000 2s lipo packs. The problem I'am having is the speedo would thermal on me at about 6 min into my run I cut the front windshield out of the body, installed the fan on the ESC, turned the timing down on the motor and the car still shut down 8 min into an 10 min main that I was leading even after a battery change I will try gearing down the next time I race, Because I think that was the problem with the over heating, but what I wanted to know from the forum Commuinty was if anyone else has had the same problem with the Novak ESC. With the two 5000 packs I thought for sure I would get 10 to 12 min of run time easy. I love 1/8 electric I think it could save off-road eletric racing
Watched your car a bit today yesterday. It looked nice! I raced Nitro yesterday though, but it was nice to see multiple E cars out there as I am used to being the only one quite a bit.

As others are saying you need to ditch the Novak sorry to say. I went through two ESC's and two motors myself before running a modded Mamba Max/ NEU setup. I have not fried one modded Mamba Max yet with TONS of runtime on them. Last races were mid pack A main expert so I was running it HARD too. Add a fan, an extra capacitor, and a remote BEC and they are gold! The new MMM is dialed though so better to go that way.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the feedback guys I guess I'll be buying a new ESC/Motor Combo before the next race
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
rhino420

like thruen said you can go the modded mamba max and it will work it worked for a lot of people before the mmm came out but i would now just go with the mmm combo now and be done with it or go with the tekin like you said before.. but either way you will probably be fine so nice to go race witht the nitro guys while they are tweeking and leaning and getting frustrated with there nitro you just plug it in turn it on and race!! get off the track hook the batt to the charger and you are good.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thuren
Add a fan, an extra capacitor, and a remote BEC and they are gold! The new MMM is dialed though so better to go that way.
Hey THUREN can you do me a favor and post a pic of your MMM setup? I am purchasing one shortly and if what you say works I would like to do the same setup on my ESC. I have no idea where to install the extra cap nor have I ever seen a remote BEC. I would appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

A question about kv ratings. I was running the Novak 7.5 motor on Sunday and had plenty of power, I was going by nitro cars down the straight like they were standing still ( any more would have been over kill for that track) What would the MMM equalivent be to the 7.5 novak??
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rhino420
l so nice to go race witht the nitro guys while they are tweeking and leaning and getting frustrated with there nitro you just plug it in turn it on and race!!
I know that was one of the fun things about running this car. Before the start of the main I pulled my car into pit lane and just sat there waiting for the nitro guys to finish tuning their cars. My buddy even jokingly asked if I wanted to lean the car out a bit
Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
rhino420

A question about kv ratings. I was running the Novak 7.5 motor on Sunday and had plenty of power, I was going by nitro cars down the straight like they were standing still ( any more would have been over kill for that track) What would the MMM equalivent be to the 7.5 novak??
the novak 7.5 is a 3,000kv so if you go nue they sale a 1512/1.5D thats 3300kv but thats about a $250 dollar motor alone and another 150 for the mmm, i would just go with the castle combo 2650 and just set the drag brake when at ocrc and take it off when at hotrod or at revelation.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

The 7.5 may be 3000 kv, but it has absolutely no torque compared to a neu or castle motor. Either castle motor will be more power than your 7.5; all you have to do is gear it up to make it haul.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

my novak 6.5 was comparable to the nue 2.5 2050 kv motor powerwise. if you think the 7.5 is fast then any castle or tekin motor avalable will blow your mind. most of the guys i know only run about 75% throttle endpoint so the car is more controllable on smaller tracks.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Wow I may have to buy new batteries as well What kind of batteries do you guys run? I was going to buy two 2s reedy 5000 lipos and call it a day, I already have two Orion 2s 5000. If I can do a min or two of warm up then a full 10-15 min main without a battery change I'll be happy
Old 03-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know that was one of the fun things about running this car. Before the start of the main I pulled my car into pit lane and just sat there waiting for the nitro guys to finish tuning their cars. My buddy even jokingly asked if I wanted to lean the car out a bit
Yep, but the really annoying thing is when a stupid turn marshall picks your car up and pulls it off the track, thinking it flamed out. Gunning the throttle and tearing up their legs is fun tho. Idiots should notice the lack of the big ugly heatsink head and realize it's electric.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 PM
rhino420

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Yep, but the really annoying thing is when a stupid turn marshall picks your car up and pulls it off the track, thinking it flamed out. Gunning the throttle and tearing up their legs is fun tho. Idiots should notice the lack of the big ugly heatsink head and realize it's electric.
dude u should never throttle it when some one is marshalling for you that is the worst thing ive ever heard. think about others serious.... hes marshaling for free and doesn't deserve to be hurt.... its your fault for flipping over learn to drive!! now that i am done with that

now batteries orions will work but i like to run a 4s pack instead of two batteries just one less thing to mess with. to me simple is the best thing ever i use zippy packs and have had no problems but people in here run either the neuenergy packs polyquest packs and zippys or the losi 4s. its kind of what your wallet can handle.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for all the feedback guys I guess I'll be buying a new ESC/Motor Combo before the next race
Josh, if you can wait a little bit the Tekin RX8 system is going to be the ticket. I may be biased, but I don't think you'll hear much argument. Plus you'll have factory support right there under the same EZ-up.

What am I doing in this thread?!?!? Oh, the sickness, the sickness. Don't think I'm ready to jump into 1/8 scale yet but I can live vicariously through you...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Default Empire Racing - eMP9 conversion

We have been testing our prototype eMP9 at NorCal hobbies for a month. The photo's are Scott Kimbrow's eMP9. The car is fast and damn solid. We are pleased will our results, so, we are entering production with our motor mounts conversion. Here are pictures of what we have been working on. Crazy fast and handles like "butter"

The Mamba system has been working flawlessly. Not over 110ºF at any time. Running two 2C Orion 5000 MaH, hard case, 7.4's. Good run time like I said - crazy power. We, typically,race 1/8th on-road gas - we are used to power - but, man, this stuff rules...

More to follow...
Attached Thumbnails Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.-eemp9.jpg   Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.-emp9.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.