Search
Like Tree1Likes

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoshM20

Dangerwr- I know what you mean about the motor, What's the point of having all of it if you can't handle it? The scary thing is when you watch people drive who can So the MMM3 will be what I need, It will handle most anything I would use brushless with? Say if I wanted to do a truggy or even go put it in a 1/10th.

Thanks in Advance guys
Josh

P.S. Cain That is what I meant, If they were to actually design an 1/8th around a brushless system they would be able to better allocate the equpiment to keep a better CG, with better weight distrobution/balance.
Yeah, I also use a MMM in my 1/8th scale on-road conversion. The MMM is fairly versatile you could say. The MMM is a sensorless brushless speed controller so you would not take advantage of what a sensored brushless motor might offer (like a Novak). I have seen the MMM in 1/10th monster trucks but the traditional Mamba Max (MM) is probably best for 1/10th.

I am still learning about batteries but use 4S in my 1/8th conversions. A lot of guys use 5S for different reasons. Some talk about lower temps due to better efficiency etc. but have yet to run the #'s to better understand the logic. One thing to keep in mind is that the battery trays on some of the conversion kits limit what size off battery you can use. A 6S pack is larger and obviously heavier. Is it too heavy for a buggy? Perhaps.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by badassrevo
from your description, Pink tapers in the morning and clay switches when it starts to dry out.
Well that is exactly the story for the 1/10 trucks and buggies on the track! I was just thinking with the extra mass of the e-1/8s that they would need more sidebite to keep from sliding out on the faster corners.

This is at Carolinas RC indoor track by the way- site of the JConcepts race in mid-April. Anyone that has a chance to make it down definitely should, the new track is HOT.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by teknorc
Our battery tray can accommodate an Enerland/PolyQuest/Hyperion/PolyRC/FlightPower 6000mah cell with no mods. The 5000mah cells are a little longer and may require grinding down the back wall of the tray to fit. You can fit just about any pack into the truggies, and the buggies can fit most of the popular 160mm packs. We definitely didn't want the only choice to be 1/10 packs . We have a new battery tray coming out soon that will be even bigger.
Is the new battery tray going to be sold in the kits? The last thing I would want to do is to buy the kit, and then have to buy the new battery tray because my battery won't fit in the Tekno converted 8ight 1.0.

ETA on that too??

tks
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rexiphi
Is the new battery tray going to be sold in the kits? The last thing I would want to do is to buy the kit, and then have to buy the new battery tray because my battery won't fit in the Tekno converted 8ight 1.0.

ETA on that too??

tks
No ETA on the new battery tray. It will be compatible with all of our truggy kits, and the D8 kit. Of course any new kits will support it as well. It won't be compatible with the Losi 8B or RC8 though . Still, there are tons of battery options for the current tray (as mentioned), we are just bringing things in line to ROAR specs for future projects.

What battery are your running? We should be able to tell you if it fits since we have tested so many.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jube
Josh the Tekno kit offers you more choices than any other kit. As it was mentioned you can run with or without a clutch depending on what you like. You can also have the mechanical brakes so you can adjust front/rear brake bias. Or if you run direct drive you can do away with the mechanical brakes and use the esc braking. That to me is the beauty of the Tekno kit, it allows many tuning options.
Ahh, got you, I read the post wrong about the brakes, yes the mechanical brakes would be awsome with direct drive

Originally Posted by dangerwr
Yeah, I also use a MMM in my 1/8th scale on-road conversion. The MMM is fairly versatile you could say. The MMM is a sensorless brushless speed controller so you would not take advantage of what a sensored brushless motor might offer (like a Novak). I have seen the MMM in 1/10th monster trucks but the traditional Mamba Max (MM) is probably best for 1/10th.
Cool, so the sensorless MMM is good for the bigger vehicles like the 1/8th and the MM is good for 1/10th. Can I ask what the difference between sensorless ESC and a Sensored. So you would want to run Sensorless Motors in 1/8th scales? Just curios to the do's and don'ts and pro's and cons.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jube
Josh the Tekno kit offers you more choices than any other kit. As it was mentioned you can run with or without a clutch depending on what you like. You can also have the mechanical brakes so you can adjust front/rear brake bias. Or if you run direct drive you can do away with the mechanical brakes and use the esc braking. That to me is the beauty of the Tekno kit, it allows many tuning options.
Great info, thanks Jube. Also keep in mind every Tekno kit comes with an electric specific 4mm 7075 CNC hard anodized chassis that optimizes weight distribution and eliminates unnecessary holes. We have been doing this since day one as it produced the best handling and the cleanest layouts.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by teknorc
No ETA on the new battery tray. It will be compatible with all of our truggy kits, and the D8 kit. Of course any new kits will support it as well. It won't be compatible with the Losi 8B or RC8 though . Still, there are tons of battery options for the current tray (as mentioned), we are just bringing things in line to ROAR specs for future projects.

What battery are your running? We should be able to tell you if it fits since we have tested so many.
thanks for getting back to me, i'll be running the zippy-h 5s 5000mah. I checked the length and it's 160mm according to hobby city dot com... that will fit, correct?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

thanks for getting back to me, i'll be running the zippy-h 5s 5000mah. I checked the length and it's 160mm according to hobby city dot com... that will fit, correct?
No problem. Your set.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

The Zippy packs are very rectangular (not a lot of wires and shrink wrap on the ends). I mention this because the tray walls are very low allowing a lot of longer packs to slip in and clear them. The pack you are looking at is 160mm x 51mm wide which is 1mm wider than our tray and a bit longer with very square ends. I've seen it done though with the back wall cut out.

This pack (Zippy FlightMax 30C/5s/5000) definitely fits and it should be a better pack for slightly less money.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is the tray part of the chassis or is it a bolt on? Is there anywere that can give me an idea on what packs will fit. I was thinking of running a 5 or 6 for the lower temps and I think more runtime. I will have to run with the nitro guys around here so I want to show of the E-Awesomeness So I want to be able to make 15. But I may be thinking to big, I read it happens alot when you first get into it and especially since I have not seen one run IRL.

I had a couple more questions, Where can I buy Zippy packs and how do I know which ones to get. I see so many things in the specs the cell the mah and something with a C- Charge rate? Is it better to have a lower or higher C.

Another thing is can someone explain what a Smart Diff is?

Thanks
Josh
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Josh: For batteries if you are getting back in I would look at packs that have a manufacturer in the USA that you can go to for any issues. This is not to say zippys are bad, but, starting out, if you have any issues, you probably are going to be SOL with the zippy. Other companies in the USA (Maxamps, TrueRC, SMC, RCLipos, Losi, etc) will probably give you that extra customer support.

Go with batteries that have the Highest C Rate you can afford.

Next, find out if you need a hardcased lipo at your track. This is probably going to determine which way you go really. If you do need one, you can do a losi in 4S or 5S configuration, or, wait for the SMC pack. That 5400mah one that have coming has caught my eye.

As for conversions, The Tekno as I have said gives alot of bang for the buck. There tray bolts on to there chassis they provide, but I think the chassis is recessed so it sits nice and low. the RC Monster RC8T conversion (and I think RC8) is recessed so it sit low on the chassis too.

As for tires on a clay track, maybe the Jconcepts double dees in blue compound would work as they look similar to a holeshot.

Looks like speedpassions new ESC combo is in stock at amainhobbies.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

The latest vids from the Washtenaw RC Raceway are posted:

(only two races left to go for the season, hurry and visit while you can)

1/8 Buggy A-Main http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ugKvMo6Lg

1/8 Truggy A-Main http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0QAMZQYoE

Enjoy / thanks.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HandyRacing
The latest vids from the Washtenaw RC Raceway are posted:

(only two races left to go for the season, hurry and visit while you can)

1/8 Buggy A-Main http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ugKvMo6Lg

1/8 Truggy A-Main http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0QAMZQYoE

Enjoy / thanks.

Thanks for posting this. How many guys run 3S at this facility?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
We did for a while, worked mostly OK except when not clearing the quad.

The track is short and tight so too much power isn't always helpful. Then upgraded to 4 cell because we could.

Most run 4 cell far as I know.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
No one runs 3s atm. Common setups include 5s 2000kv, 4s 2100kv, 4s 2600kv, and 4s 3300kv. Most setups are complete overkill with people simply backing down their epa to make them controllable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.