Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Support LHS or Online Shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The lhs I work at will order almost anything for you without paying up front, exceptions being high $$$ kits.
We have been burned before from people ordering stuff and never showing up to buy them, but we continue to special order.
I will tell you that it is very difficult to stock parts for every make, model, and car of the month. There are far too many types/brands/models. They just do not sell and it ends up sitting on the shelves for yrs and then on to a clearance bin with an eventual loss.
For the most part, Every vehicle that we sell in the shop, we also carry parts for. Whether it is complete parts or maint/high wear/breakage/weak parts.

Show me a shop online or anywhere else that stocks everything for every vehicle out there. There isn't one. If you don't have the parts available, make a list of commonly needed parts and order them and keep them on hand.
Possibly ask the lhs owner to stock a particular part or parts that are high in demand.

There is also alot of stuff I buy online at full retail because the shop does not have an account with a particular distributor or company. It often requires a large volume of product to be ordered for it to be worth while for the shop. I understand this and do what I have to in order to have that specialty product that I want.

It is probably a good idea to balance what you spend online with what you spend at the shop. While prices may not always be the same, there is something to be said for having a needed item available locally immediately. If the shop was not around you would always be paying for shipping and always be waiting for the items to arrive.

These are just my observations and my experiences from being on both sides of the fence. I did not always work at the shop and used to order massive amounts of stuff online.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Well said. You obviously are a level headed racer. GO LHS
Old 03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ightScale/CJP
It's hard to support your LHS when you can almost always find your parts @ lower prices online.

Its fun to drive around in your yard by yourself too. If you buy stuff there regularily they will get the prices close if you ask.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'll never spend thousands of dollars at a shop that requires me to spend thousands of dollars before I get anything resembling good customer service.
On the other hand, if a shop provides good customer service and good info, I'll be one of their most loyal customers and a source of free advertisement.

I think the smug B.S. attitude that you get at a lot of shops has just as much to do with tracks/shops closing as the internet. I'm just happy that I'm finally racing at a track owned by a guy who's so nice and helpful that I want to buy all my stuff from him.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by schmelme
Its fun to drive around in your yard by yourself too. If you buy stuff there regularily they will get the prices close if you ask.
It's not about price matching, I'd rather see the parts in my LHS.

BTW I love racing, but if there is none I pull the DS650 out of the garage
Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sharkman
The lhs I work at will order almost anything for you without paying up front, exceptions being high $$$ kits.
We have been burned before from people ordering stuff and never showing up to buy them, but we continue to special order.
I will tell you that it is very difficult to stock parts for every make, model, and car of the month. There are far too many types/brands/models. They just do not sell and it ends up sitting on the shelves for yrs and then on to a clearance bin with an eventual loss.
For the most part, Every vehicle that we sell in the shop, we also carry parts for. Whether it is complete parts or maint/high wear/breakage/weak parts.

Show me a shop online or anywhere else that stocks everything for every vehicle out there. There isn't one. If you don't have the parts available, make a list of commonly needed parts and order them and keep them on hand.
Possibly ask the lhs owner to stock a particular part or parts that are high in demand.

There is also alot of stuff I buy online at full retail because the shop does not have an account with a particular distributor or company. It often requires a large volume of product to be ordered for it to be worth while for the shop. I understand this and do what I have to in order to have that specialty product that I want.

It is probably a good idea to balance what you spend online with what you spend at the shop. While prices may not always be the same, there is something to be said for having a needed item available locally immediately. If the shop was not around you would always be paying for shipping and always be waiting for the items to arrive.

These are just my observations and my experiences from being on both sides of the fence. I did not always work at the shop and used to order massive amounts of stuff online.
Until recently my LHS would order just about anything we asked for, and you would pay when the parts arrived. Like it was said earlier, general wear parts should be stocked at any LHS. You can see from my other post that I actually like doing business with my LHS. But seriously, as a racer to go into your LHS which has races on-road and off-road, and you can't even find clutch shoes, o-rings for shocks and diffs, shock shafts, tie rod ends and other simple cheap parts like that. And I'm talking about a common brand like OFNA/Jammin'. They just haven't been re-ordering the parts that usually don't stay on the racks anyway.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mfishel
Things like shock rebuilds SHOULD be on the wall. Common maintenance and breakage parts need to be available. If your shop doesn't have them in stock maybe they are having $ issues. There have been weeks when I couldn't fill the wall like I would want, but usually 'staples' can be managed.
My point exactly!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

You gotta support your LHS. Its not there fault they cant compete with the online prices, they gotta make a living somehow. Lots of ppl around here complain about my LHS prices but ive stuck by him, sure i do buy alot of stuff online aswell but only on stuff i can get ALOT cheaper. I get all my spares, oils and support equipment from my LHS and now he is sponsering me to race, so its diffenately paid off, no more buying tyres or plugs for me
Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

THANKS FOR THE INPUT ON THIS THREAD. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM MY FIRST POST TO THIS ONE, IT'S NOT IN ANY WAY TO BASH THE LHS. LIKE I SAID, I'M GLAD I HAVE AN LHS WITH COOL PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE. LIKE SOME OF YOU POSTED, GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE MAIN REASON RACERS AND GENERAL CUSTOMERS SPEND THIER MONEY @ THE LHS. HAVING WHAT YOUR RACERS NEED, (NOT JUST WHAT THEY WANT) IS ALSO A BIG PART OF CUSTOMER SERVICE! SO TO THE LHS, JUST HAVE THE BASICS FOR US, AND WE'LL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT YOU.
GIVE THE LHS YOUR BUSINESS FIRST. IF THEY DON'T HAVE WHAT YOU NEED, DUST OFF THE KEYBOARD AND DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO :
THANKS FOR THE REPLYS AND I'M OFFICIALLY DONE WITH THIS THREAD]
Old 03-30-2007, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i would support my local hobby shop but they dont carry anything i need not even the basic 4-40 screws its quite sad because its a hobbytown. the people are nice and give information when they want to but once the find out that you have something thats not brand new they try to sell you something. i have a couple good hobbyshops that are within an hour to an hour and a half that i support to the fullest and am willing to drive to. but for my car (losi gtx) i have no choice but to shop for parts online
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Cheesecake, my closest LHS are Hobbytowns in Rockford and Crystal Lake. In Rockford, it is like 1/10th off-road doesn't exist -- not one buggy tire of that type. Sometimes they have stuff, but often not, and the gas required to get there and back is similar to postage. Although they are nice guys. The one is Crystal Lake is stocked a bit better in the car dept, but still.
I do like the farther away stores that have tracks -- they carry more parts. Like Trackside near Milwaukee and RC Performance in Madison, but they are too far to drive to unless I am going there to race. But I have been thinking about getting a Losi xxx-cr, which is not much cheaper on-line, so I may wait and "reward" one of these good tracks with a purchase such as that.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the closest to me is st charles and crystal lake is a little further from me. i like al's hobby shop but i havent been there in years im thinking about going there this week. great prices and people that know what is going on. i just realized that your not to far from me.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 8ightScale/CJP
It's hard to support your LHS when you can almost always find your parts @ lower prices online.
my LHS sells things at twice the price of online stores.
indeed it is hard but i've done it once or twice

that's why i like threads like http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156376
Old 03-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was at my LHS the other day and I asked about stocking parts for the losi 8, being as there are quite a few running around here I figured it would be a good idea. The owners resposne was "When I can actually get them I will look into it, untill then sorry."

He is a horizion dealer.

Things like this are why i dont support my LHS
Old 03-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

In regards to the LOSI 8 I can say that he may be frustrated also. New cars can have a delay on parts. Especially when they are selling as quickly as that car is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.