Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What fuel?? Cannot decide!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What fuel?? Cannot decide!

A new season is upon us and I have new engines to break in. I cannot decide what fuel to go with, O'donnel, Byrons, Blue thunder, sidewinder ect. ect. Let's here your opinion on the best fuel.
p.s. Let's stick with 20%
Old 03-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default FUEL

I use Monster Horse Power, always ran great had no problem fuel related. I would'nt use bluethunder for lack of oils needed for break-ins.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

go here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=14168

its here at rctech in the nitro on road, it expalins everything you could ever want to know and more. on the 3rd page of the nitro onroad part way down if the link doesn't work it is called : Which fuel do YOU use?
Old 03-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

I would go with trinity plantium race fuel. It has just enough oil but not to much so you get great power from it with out leaning it out to much.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Fuel

I would use the Byron 20% as it is the freshest, best all around fuel made today. My truck runs great on it, idles like a champ, and definitely hauls butt compared to the other fuel I have tried.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Rocket Science Fuels

The best fuel on the market in my opinion is Rocket Science Fuels out of Texas. Tommy Porfirio has been making it for over 5 years and it creates the cleanest power and lubrication is perfect. Those other fuels you listed sit in warehouses for months on end and they lose that edge. The only bad thing is he does not have a website yet (I think I will be getting him one soon) so I am not sure if your local hobbyshop carries it. FWIW - Mike Swager has run this fuel on several occasions, it is race proven.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I was in the hunt for the best fuel a few years ago also, I tried Blue Thunder, Trinity, O'Donnell, Traxxas, and finally Pit Stop. After running with the first 4, I noticed that I barely had to change the carb settings on the "donor" engine, they all ran very similar, and at different temps. When I finally bought the Pit Stop fuel, I was amazed, I had to lean the top end down just to get the engine to stay at idle. On the track, even with the leaner mixture, I was getting lower temps (by up to 20 degrees) and because of the lean mixture, I had a faster engine. I have always used Pit Stop since then, as they proved to be the best fuel I had ever seen.

Since then, a lot of the companies have come out with new blends, I cant speak for the current blend, but the old Trinity fuel was inconsistant from bottle to bottle, and ran like crap. Blue Thunder always left a gummy residue inside the engine. And as for the Traxxas and O'Donnell, they used to be my racing fuels before the Pit Stop (yes Traxxas does make some really good fuel) I always wanted to try Byron's as I heard it was really good stuff as well, but it was too hard to get a hold of. The people that ran Byron's and switched to Pit Stop, however, did stay with Pit Stop, and said it was superior. Hopefully this will help you out a little bit, I try to back my statements with some evidense. This is coming from an extensive racing background.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone ever tried Wildcat Premium?? I run 15% and could swear it was 35% by the performance it gives off!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I heard Wildcat didnt use the best lubricants, so I have never tried it. I remember a very small company that made a fuel additive that with 1 oz per gallon, you could literally run the car 1/4 to 1/2 turn leaner on the top end and get the same heat, I will try to find out what it was, but it is a great addition to any fuel...
Old 03-31-2003, 09:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Pit Stop fuel

Hi Randman, I hav never heard of Pit Stop fuel. Could you tell me who it is distributed by and where it is available? Also what % of nitro does it come in? Thank in advance.
Ken
Old 04-01-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

On a related note, is there a limit to the %age of nitro in the fuel before it starts to damage the engine, or does it depend on the brand of fuel used?
Old 04-01-2003, 11:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

All of my LHS's carry Pit Stop, but if you are wanting to order, Hobby People has it avalible. Should be 10%, 20%, and 30% but I am not sure on that.

I believe the name of that fuel additive I was talking about is Bolt, but I cant find a site for them. They are based in SoCal so if anyone knows of them can you help me out and post a website or some info for them.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have always used Blue Thunder. I have had my pistons turn green, but this is normal. All fuels leave deposits on the engine, this is done to protect the engine from wear. Blue Thunder is just more noticeable. I resently changed to blue thunder race formula, and I had to lean my engine out. Race formulas contain a higher % of castor oil, This is done for better cooling, it is also less viscous then regular formulas so it it easier for the engine to draw in fuel. You can run a High % of nitro in your engine, but you may have to do some modifications (cooler glow plug, add engine shims) to keep the engine cool. It will not nessasarilly damage your engine
Old 04-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replys. I was wondering wht your opinion was on running with cool power, I know it was good for running in the helis. I used to run 30% cp. I tried using that in my RC10gt, it ran good but had a tendancy to load up cause of the extra oils I believe. Dont know if it makes any difference or not but am running offrd.
Ken
Old 04-02-2003, 08:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I have never heard of cool power, but honestly, if it is meant for air use, you propably dont want to run it in a car engine. Most car engines rev twice as high as a plane engine, and need different lubes. Check out some of the fuels we have listed (especially Pit Stop, lol) and I am sure you will be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.