Search
Like Tree8Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
When running a stock motor (Novak Brushless) with the LRP Sphere Comp, how high of a throttle profile can you run? I usually run throttle profile #2 in Mod, but with the stock motor can you crank that up (like 4 or 5...or even 6)? Thanks
Anyone?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

no
Old 06-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Sorry I do not have an experience with either of those speedos or motors (I am assuming you are using the Novak. 13.5?). It looks like the higher number profile would work well for "stock" type racing though.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I drove losi cars for 15 years before switching to the RB5. The RB5 has more rear traction and is more consistant then my losi ever was. The car also feels more stable. What I mean by all this is the losi could push in one corner and be loose in the next. You kind of had to be on the look out for when the car was going to get out of the groove and step out or just push through the corners. The RB5 seems to be much more predicatable in the handling. As for the stability. This buggy feels like driving a truck. It soaks up rough stuff and just feels wider then it really is. The kyosho shocks are sooooo smooth they just soak up all the bad stuff. I have to admit I have not driven a B4 enough to comment on that car.
Casper,
Thanks for the info. I know exactly what you mean with the Losi being inconsistent. I think thats's why the B4 has been winning the big races because you know what it's going to do in each corner. Well, looks like I'll give the RB5 a shot.
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Default RB-5 Set-up from Nationals

Front:
2-B Pistons
650wt Kyosho Oil
ZX-5 Front Silver Springs
No Limiters in shocks, Shocks built to the book
30 degree kick-up
Shock Position: Outside location on tower and outside location on arm
Bump Steer Spacer: 0mm
Spindles in upper position
Axle Height: Down
C-hub - Shim to back

Rear:
3-A Pistons
650wt Kyosho Oil
Light Green #80 Rear Springs
No Limiters in shocks, Shocks built to the book
Camber Link: Inside location on tower and Outside location on Hub
2-B Camberlink with 1mm washer under ballstud on shock tower brace and 2mm washer under ball stud on hub
Hubs spaced to the rear and in upper hole
Hi-Down Force wing

Extra Info:
Battery Position - Forward
Ride Height - Arms slightly below level all around.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Prophet

I by no means was bashing losi cars. I do not want anyone to take that the wrong way. I was a huge losi fan. I also had some pretty good setups for my cars but the losi would do wierd things everyonce in a while. Nothing too bad but stuff you needed to pay attention to. The RB5 just feels more predictable and I have lots less time with the car. As I get more time with the car I think it will only get better!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I by no means was bashing losi cars. I do not want anyone to take that the wrong way. I was a huge losi fan. I also had some pretty good setups for my cars but the losi would do wierd things everyonce in a while. Nothing too bad but stuff you needed to pay attention to. The RB5 just feels more predictable and I have lots less time with the car. As I get more time with the car I think it will only get better!
I know what you mean.....I switched from Associated to Losi when the JRX-2 came out (OK So I'm dating myself a little ) and proceeded to break track records and win big races. The Losi just tends to do funny things which make me compensate differently than I would like. I'm a touring car guy so I'm not used to a car being unpredictable at times. The B4 is also a great car just doesnt fit my style. Maybe the RB5 will be the happy medium that I am looking for. At least with 3 big players now more people will have a better chance at finding the car that best suits their style. Don't want anyone to think I'm bashing any of the manufacturers either, just trying to find what suits me best.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default RB5 Nats setup

Front:
2C pistons, 40wt losi oil
Yellow #65 Spring
middle hole on tower, outside on arm
no limiters, bottom shock mount unscrewed 3 turns
30* kickup
spindles all the way down in castorblock (washer on top)
2mm ackerman washer
middle camber link hole on bulkhead w/ 2mm washer. inside on castorblock
23mm ride height

Rear:
2C pistons, 32.5wt losi oil
Blue #68 spring
no limiters
middle hole on tower, outside on arm
hubs in upper hole, middle postion.
0* anti squat
camber link in middle postion on bulkhead w/1mm washer, outside on hub with 2mm washer
22mm ride height
wing all the way down, 4* angle

battery back, 1/2oz weight behind battery, 1/2 oz up front under steering rack.

I had no luck all weekend with electronics and such, but this setup was very easy to drive, Joe P's was probably a better setup for my driving style in the long run though. Just tossing this one out as an option.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Prophet

People have quoted that the RB5 kind of is a best of both works. Rear traction of a Losi, steering of a B4! Give the car a chance. I think you will like it. This is the best car out of the box I have ever driven.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Great job posting setups guys! Get those out to Lutz so maybe we can get them up on the Kyosho america site!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Yeah, get those PDF'd onto the Kyosho USA site!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for posting all your setups. It gives us beginners a few good starting points.

Was Joe Pillars driving the all red RB5 at Pegasus the weekend before Nationals?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Just drove my new RB5...WOW! I love this car. So neutral and stable, but steers like a champ. Put my Losi up for sale after just one pack. It's just that good. Now I'm looking at the xx4 on my workbench, and looking at the zx5 on the hobby shop shelf.....
Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Yes, I was running an all red body on my RB-5 at Pegasus the Sunday before the Nationals.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Joe Pillars
Yes, I was running an all red body on my RB-5 at Pegasus the Sunday before the Nationals.
joe great job at the nats . I too hope to win a 19t national one day .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.