Wiki Posts
Search

help with my raven st

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default help with my raven st

im recently getting started into rc racing from slot cars i bought a raven st and wanted to get help with tips on setting it up the surface i race on is a harder clay style track in portland oregon called a-main raceway any help is great thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking trukkin

best idea would be to approach some of the experienced guys at the track where you race and ask them about tyre choice and what motor you will need etc.im sure they will be glad to help.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steven19
im recently getting started into rc racing from slot cars i bought a raven st and wanted to get help with tips on setting it up the surface i race on is a harder clay style track in portland oregon called a-main raceway any help is great thanks
hard clay style?

i'd set it up similar to a t3/t4 for that track. start with your 'stock' setup from the raven manual and work from there. since your new, the most important setup will be tires, and learning to drive the course.

ask your friendly track guys to spot you the right setup for your needs.

watch the fast guys around the track, learn how they take corners, where they accelerate, how they negotiate the track..

ask questions... =)

welcome to RC.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Had a look at the Raven Manual AND visited A-Main Raceway's web site.

IF the track is the same as the pictures try Associated Factory Team RC10T4 standard setup at, as a start:

http://rc10.com/racerhub/setup/0setu...oad.htm#RC10T4

From the manual, a Raven looks much like a RC10T4! Perhaps the many Associated T4 setups can be of help!! Pick one that best fits your track and try it!!!!

Remember there is no PERFECT setup!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Suspended

the raven is from horizon hobbies, the makers of losi and duratrax. the raven has more similar suspension geometry to their truck then the t-4. im afraid you will find that the raven is not going to handle the stresses of racing for very long. they are just not as well as some of the other trucks. but it will get you started for sure and it will be a good truck to beat up as you learn to drive. though the slots with help with throttle control. for clay tracks look to panther tires. they offer a wide variety of tires in a clay compound. the last alot longer than alot of other manufacturers out there. i didn't look at your track but the micro-burner up front and a switch in the rear clay compound all the way around. i know it sounds crazy but if it is true clay that is swept and hard packed full slicks all the around will work also. you can order direct from them
www.panther-rc.com if your track doesn't carry them.

but back to the raven it is similar to running a parma motor instead of a koford motor in a wing car. i miss the track we had here in mesa, still have all my stuff and no where to go with it. just had got my difalco controller then they closed. the wipers on it aren't even worn, used it like three times. oh well. i hear there is a track in casa grande like an hour from me but i don't think they have a blue king track. i don't even think they have a track i can run expert car on. if it was still stock with the stock motor maybe.

someday people will realize that all trucks have four shocks,4 tires,tranny,steerin +servo,esc,receiver,battery pack,motor, and a body doesn't make it a copy of their car since they look the same from two feet away or in pics. but it is much closer to a losi than anything yet it still a bit different in its design as i already said.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

and again... at least its a good way to get into this hobby... and practice.

*i* didnt say... it looked like a t4, i mearly am an associated kinda guy, so setting up to a stock setup of the t3/t4 makes sense to me. its a starting point for him.

perhaps later, spend the money on a t4 or losi, but as good or bad the sportwerks may be, its a step into the hobby.

parts may break (as they do on any car) and maybe his local shop carries the replacement parts...

lets just point him toward a great future in this hobby =)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Thumbs up

i had a revan st there a good stadium... just watch the dog bones im wore out and started to chew the dive cup..... so i took the dogbone ends off and replaced the with losi parts .. it never wore out again .....