Wiki Posts
Search

KO Propo EX-10 Helios batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default KO Propo EX-10 Helios batteries

Is anyone using anything other than like 60 AAs? I'm looking for something that I can use instead of that, but I don't want a heavy controller as well. Are there any LiPos for it? If not what place carries their NiMh batteries and where can I get the cable to charge the battery while still int he controller?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

This might not be the exact answer you are looking for, but I go to Walmart (or any other store) pick up some Energizer/Duracell 2500mah AA's for about 17$, then charge them on my normal charger as an 8 cell pack at 1.2 amps. Takes it only about 2 hours to charge(maybe more, I've never really paid close attention) from full discharge. They'll last at least 1 1/2 years before you 'might' consider getting a new set. This is a very inexpensive, great battery 'pack' for your transmitter.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

That actually is very helpful, do you think you could get a shot of them sometime so I can see how you put them together?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I use the rechargable Energizer cells in my son's Helios and they have worked great for over a year. I have a Lipo pack in my Helios for htbatteries.com, it's great. I've gone over 5 hours between charges and still had plenty of voltage for more. The radio feels so light, with the drop down wheel it's like wearing a glove. I've gone 45 min mains and it didn't feel like I was holding a brick at the end.

Rechargable AAs are fine if you are only running short periods of time but go with a lipo pack if you want the ultimate in comfort.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick S
I use the rechargable Energizer cells in my son's Helios and they have worked great for over a year. I have a Lipo pack in my Helios for htbatteries.com, it's great. I've gone over 5 hours between charges and still had plenty of voltage for more. The radio feels so light, with the drop down wheel it's like wearing a glove. I've gone 45 min mains and it didn't feel like I was holding a brick at the end.

Rechargable AAs are fine if you are only running short periods of time but go with a lipo pack if you want the ultimate in comfort.

Ok that sounds nice as well, I'm not familiar at all with the car of LiPos, do you just charge them all the time or do you have a special equalizer you use on it before you charge it?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The radio has the 8 cell holder in it. You don't neeed to build a pack, just install the batteries. If you don't have one of these packs, go to a radio shack near you with your radio and find the pack that fit's.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah I know it has the holder, but Id rather have a rechargable deal so its a little more convienent. The only issue is the damn charging cable that hooks into the controller.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
The radio has the 8 cell holder in it. You don't neeed to build a pack, just install the batteries. If you don't have one of these packs, go to a radio shack near you with your radio and find the pack that fit's.
Like Scottmisfits mentioned, use the 8-cell holder. I have the Helios as well. I remove the 8-cell holder, leave the batteries installed in the holder, then hook my charger to the exposed terminals. Set for about 1.2 amps, and viola, a quickly charged pack that will deliver at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours of reliable use.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Why so much amps? I'm using .5-.8 amps
Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

simple. It charges faster with more amps. If I'm at the track and my radio is running low on charge, I know I can throw my cells on the charger for about an hour and easily get through the rest of my day. Sure, maybe 1.2 amps might hurt the batteries more in the long run than a charge rate of .5 amps, but these cells are so cheap that it doesn't matter. Plus, it doesn't seem to hurt them at this rate to the point that they vent or drastically lose run time. I'd imagine they could probably take a higher rate than 1.2 but then we might start seeing a loss of runtime which is the more important factor in your radio as opposed to wanting more voltage.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

New duracell recharge AA's are 2650Mah. Get the 15min charger and your good for about 4hrs of use with a spektrum pro module. Best investment I've made.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just picked up a cheap 3 cell 800mah lipo pack. Sold by Hi-flight RC, its a little bit too wide actually fir the helios, but I'll just cut out ribbing out a bit. The battery is really tiny and light. 800mah should be enough too, I had a 1000mah pack in my old radio and got 4 hours out of it easily.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
Ok that sounds nice as well, I'm not familiar at all with the car of LiPos, do you just charge them all the time or do you have a special equalizer you use on it before you charge it?
For the Lipo, I just took the plug from an old charging cube and made a connection to my Triton. I plug it into the charging jack on the radio, set it for 0.5 amps and let it charge while I'm working on my cars. I could charge at a higher rate but I'm in no hurry with the lipo. I take the the battery tray cover off to vent any stray fumes.

Just remember the plug on the transmitter pack (if you're not using the 8 cell tray) for the Helios has the polarity reveresed (positive pin on the outside) compared to a standard receiver plug. You need to check polarity if you are making a plug to connect to an existing charger.

As alway, check your connections and don't leave the batteries unattended when charging. If you don't have a lipo charger already, most places like HTBatteries offer a charger you can buy with the pack.