Search

HOW TO BULLET PROOF A LOSI XX-4 & XXX4 G+

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default HOW TO BULLET PROOF A LOSI XX-4 & XXX4 G+

Does any-one know how to bullet proof a Losi XX-4 and a XXX4 G+

I'm looking 4 anything from Carbon Fiber Shock towers to Derlin Arms to High Grade Ball Cups. Anything to beef up both platforms.

If you can post a link to the manufactures web site that would be great.

Many Thanks........

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 11-29-2006 at 04:01 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lot's of info here: http://www.4wdrc.com
Old 11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

4WD and Bulletproof don't usually go hand in hand

However here are some tips:

In addition to http://4wdrc.com/, search this forum for the XX4 & XXX4 threads

For the XX4, the best mods are 1)Trinity Aluminum Motor Brace 2)B3 bulkhead Mod(see 4wdrc.com for instructions). 3)Also on 4wdrc check out the King Pin replacements 4)http://amainraceway.com/ take a look at the castor blocks.

Someone used to make carbon fibre shock towers that doubled up with the stock ones but I have not seen these available. I know someone with them and he has broken/cracked one shock tower(but was able to finish the race because the reenforcement kept everything together)

I am sure i am missing something. But this is what I've got off the top of my head.

The keys to success with my XX4 have been to A)not run into anything and B)square up on all big air jumps.

As for the XXX4, setting it on the track may cause it to break.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut

However here are some tips:

In addition to http://4wdrc.com/, search this forum for the XX4 & XXX4 threads

For the XX4, the best mods are 1)Trinity Aluminum Motor Brace 2)B3 bulkhead Mod(see 4wdrc.com for instructions). 3)Also on 4wdrc check out the King Pin replacements 4)http://amainraceway.com/ take a look at the castor blocks.

Someone used to make carbon fibre shock towers that doubled up with the stock ones but I have not seen these available. I know someone with them and he has broken/cracked one shock tower(but was able to finish the race because the reenforcement kept everything together)

I am sure i am missing something. But this is what I've got off the top of my head.

The keys to success with my XX4 have been to A)not run into anything and B)square up on all big air jumps.

As for the XXX4, setting it on the track may cause it to break.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Simply put, don't hit anything.

I never had delrin arms, but it is a more forgiving material than graphite, and having some flex is good in the front end.

Doubling up on the shock towers looks cool, but only makes something else the weaker link, the chassis.

Arms and pivot blocks seem to be the only problems that I can remember.

As one of the above posts says, square up on every jump and avoid collisions. Its a brutally fast and fun car, but can be a handfull on a bumpy track.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

I used to make the graphite shock tower braces for the original kit. They were called XXX4 BackBones. Remember when the Losi XXX4 first came out? The car would crack on some basic landings!

I stopped making the braces once losi updated their shock towers and bulkheads on the car. I still get email asking about the braces though...
Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

for a xxx4, the "must haves" are:
updated front a-arms, they have some extra bracing that the original arms didn't have. keeps them from breaking. i'm not sure when they came out, but i think it was around the time the xxx4 g+ came out.

fiberglass shock towers. more flexible than the stock towers but much harder to crack and won't destroy the chassis either.

a-main raceway or modified bj4 castor blocks. the x-factory screws are nice, but i've had a few of them sheer off. modifying bj4 blocks will allow you to use an actual hinge pin, making the front end much stronger.

do not run the aluminum inner pivots. the plastic stuff is more likely to break in an accident, but the aluminum ones can tear through the chassis.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can get shock tower stiffener/supports for the XX4 also through www.penguinrc.com ,I own some of these and have not broken a tower since!