Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is electric 1/10th scale off road dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I know of a venue where people showed up w/ brushless lipo 1/10 stadium truck setups and ran w/ nitro for a season. By the end of the season they were actualy required to pit at least once during the main to make the race fair. They were talking about being able to run 20 minute heats w/ ease.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Good posts!!!

Racing either can be expensive if you make it expensive. Top of the line equipment is big money for gas AND electric.

Chargers and "Minor" maintenance for both are "about" the same, so I don't include those in my comparisons.
Racers at RC Pro this weekend where mounting new Holeshots for 1/8th truck for qualifying, then another set for the 30 minute main, which were used up after the main.
I ran the same set of MT Holeshots on my Revo for the entire weekend(I didn't practice on them which helped), so Monster truck is easier on tires then 1/8th truck.

Only 5 of the Expert A main racers were still running at the end of the 30 minute race. The problems were diffs, spur gears, servos.
Top three were Mugen, Mugen, Mugen(I think?).

8 of the 1/8th buggies were still running. Their problems were diff and servos. Top three finishers were Xray, Kyosho, TL.

None of them mentioned the cost of racing, all seemed to know it was expensive, but still cheaper then racing any fullsize class, or even Go carts, etc!

I think the cost of racing is simple to relate to, kind of like, how much is a BOAT.

The main factor, are you having fun, or does it feel like work?

...Jim
Old 10-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
I think the cost of racing is simple to relate to, kind of like, how much is a BOAT.

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. been there, done that.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Some people ask me how much I spend on equipment and racing in a year. I ask them how much they spend on hunting/fishing/or golfing in a year and it's all about a wash.

If you can afford what you enjoy doing than that's great whatever it may be. I know some think it's ridiculous for me to wrap so much $$ in my toy cars. I don't care as I enjoy it (nitro and electric) and it very much keeps me out of trouble. And I know people all over the state which is a pretty neat thing to have such nice people as friends all over.

I spent way more when I started than I do now. Once you acquire all the good stuff that you want you can trade chassis for pretty cheap if you want to try new things.

I think you see more newbs with wasted nitro and elec motors due more to they go blast em around the driveway,street, and parking lots as well as racing. Not necesarrily just bad tuning, but they run the heck out of them when they are not racing. My cars see race tracks only and that helps them last what seems much longer than other peoples. You can run a gallon thru an engine in no time just messing around as well as toast comms and brushes.

I sold all my gas trucks before I heard we were having one more outdoor race. Am contemplating running my brushless T4 with the gas trucks and just having my pit guy change batts as fast as he can. I run plugs so shouldn't be to bad, maybe lose a lap or 3/4 but should still be a blast. Wait and see I guess.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
I think you see more newbs with wasted nitro and elec motors due more to they go blast em around the driveway,street, and parking lots as well as racing. Not necesarrily just bad tuning, but they run the heck out of them when they are not racing. My cars see race tracks only and that helps them last what seems much longer than other peoples. You can run a gallon thru an engine in no time just messing around as well as toast comms and brushes.
I can attest to that!! When I first got my B4 I was like a kid in a candy store. I couldnt wait to play with my stuff. I ran one pack after another after another and wondered why my motor was toast!!! I ruined some batteries also! I have some friends who are new to rc'ing and the biggest thing is getting them to pull their electric vehicles off the track after only 6 minutes of practice!!! Then trying to convince them they need a couple different sets of tires for different racing conditions and a set for bashing only!!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I have been racing a Brushless/ Li-Po 1/10 truck for over 2 years now in my area (Carolina's). When we started up the BL/ Li-Po class we ran with the gas trucks running 20 to 30 minute mains with Thunder Power 8000 Li-Po's. We also did pit stops (stop and go, like 5 seconds) to make it fair to the gas guys. We now have divided up the classes and call our BL/ Li-Po class Pro Truck and we run 20 minute mains. We have an A and B main of them at our Trophy races and larger club races. It seems that the regular electric classes (stock truck, mod truck, 5 min mains) is making a slow come back in our area at just a few tracks. Where most of the tracks run both Pro Truck (BL/ Li-Po) and gas truck. We have about 17 tracks here in the Carolina's (north and south) so getting all the electric classes (BL, regular electric, etc.) to grow is not easy. Nitro racing is soooo big everywhere... and yes I do have a gas truck, lol. There is an indoor carpet oval/ road course track opening up very soon here, so the electric racing should be picking up even more.

As for the expense of racing either gas or electric, like many people here have said... it is as expensive as you make it. It's a hobby and it costs money... just like any hobby. As long as you are having fun and hangin with you buds, who could ask for any more (well a win every now and then helps ).