Wiki Posts
Search

4 stroke gas truck!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 4 stroke gas truck!

Many of you may have seen this before, but since the engines forum is buried in the onroad area, you may not have come across it..

What you are looking at is a Kyosho GP Ultima ST Type R with a VERY modified OS FS26C vII, and it is SILLY FUN!

Nolan Farmer made the CNC side-intake cylinder head, and it is the most intricate piece of milled metal I've ever seen. Aside from the side intake, it features smooth, flowed ports, a centered glow plug, and a slightly higher compression ratio. Compared with the stock head, it revs higher and makes more power up top.

The truck's performance (with how it's currently geared) is very comparable to most race .12 2 stroke trucks, but with much more torque and not so much insane top-end. If I mess up the approach to a jump, I can usually just square up and pin it at the bottom of the jump face and still clear it no problem. In my opinion, it's easier to drive than a 2 stroke truck, much like driving an electric mod truck. No blipping the throttle, no cleaning it out before the start of a race. It just idles forever and responds well to smooth throttle inputs. It does well with an all or nothing throttle finger too, but you may not get around the track that way.

Enough with the typing, here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails 4 stroke gas truck!-4-stroke-gas-truck-001.jpg   4 stroke gas truck!-4-stroke-gas-truck-006.jpg   4 stroke gas truck!-4-stroke-gas-truck-008.jpg   4 stroke gas truck!-fpm-head1.jpg   4 stroke gas truck!-fpm-head2.jpg  

Old 09-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Very cool, I have already been picking your brain about my FS26, now how do I get one of those heads?? I would love to stick one in a 10 GT but not w/o the head.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

wow, thats cool. Do they run as good as a regular engine-im not a gas guy I have no clue what I am doing lol.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That is very nice... i want one...
Old 09-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Hehe... Just think: RC10 GT2 + FS26 = FAST! Mine's on order, along with everyone else and their dog's.

I'll be racing this truck in Spokane every Saturday through the end of September. I'll also be running it at the Wenatchee Dash For Cash race, and at the Dave Mapston Memorial race (1 hour A-mains!!) in Spokane in October. It's first race with the new head was last Saturday, and it took 2nd.

This truck is no shelf queen, it gets raced HARD!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

That thing is cool as hell. I saw it in Washington. I have my own project going, if I can just find some more time. I want to put an OS four stroke into a STR. I would like to pick your brain about flywheel, clutch, bearings. The crank on this engine is really weird. I think I might have to get some custom bearings.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Thanks! Cody drove the wheels off his stuff in Clarkston! It was great seeing all you guys come out to play in the PNW.

I can help you with the details, just PM or email me... or start a project thread and we can all watch it progress. What engine were you planning on using? I've only used engines with 1/4-28 threaded crankshafts because a standard non-SG style 1/8 scale pilot shaft has that thread. Both the FS26C and FS52 use that thread size.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Four stroke engines get better fuel mileage than two strokes making them cheaper to run. Four stroke engines are aslo easier to tune than two stroke engines.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Look's great.Let us know when we can order them.Ethan I like your avator.(lol)
Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

UGG!! What i'd do to have a Ultima ST Type R again. IMHO, best ST I've ever had and driven. I'm definitely hoping kyosho re-releases it!

How's it scoot?
Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That is sick!! I've been dying to put a 4 stroke in one of my RC's!!

Where can we get the head mod??
Old 09-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

DP, would this motor be better in a truck rinning on a small track compared to a two stroke?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Track size doesn't really matter, because it can be geared as high as the track calls for.

I raced it again last night, and got 3rd. Not bad, because the gas truck scene locally is getting really popular lately. I just have to figure out some setup stuff on the truck to make it competitive with the other trucks.

About the head, I'm going to email Nolan to see if he can answer those questions.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default FPM FS26S-C Custom Head

Hi guys....Thanks for the interest.
This first run of heads took many hours to machine. I will try to improve the run time on the CNC before making any promises on price and delivery. I also may make a few changes as we learn more about it.
I will get to it next week and then make a final decision.
Attached Thumbnails 4 stroke gas truck!-dscn8088-rev-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

that looks amazing, so do they bolt on to a two stroke, is that correct

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.