Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC10 T4 STEATH TRANNY PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RC10 T4 STEATH TRANNY PROBLEM

hi i have a rc10 t4 rtr and for some reason my car was making a weird noise sounded like the diff then i took the plastic cover off and i noticed that the spur gear was wobbling (side to side wobble) when it was spining. i took the whole diff apart and i suspected the top metal shaft so i got a new one i tried it agin and it gave me the same problem then i switched the spur gear and i switched the slipper hubs around and still same problem and then i switched the bearings that were holding the shaft in place around and i even took the idler gear off so that was not a problem either. i have had it with this diff i did everything except the only thing left is the diff case but it cant be that, can somebody please help i have had this problem for a while and still can not seem to fix it. thanks for looking happy holidays
Old 12-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

are the pads sitting in the spur properly?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are the aluminum plates the slipper pads ride on bent?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default hmm.

1. make sure you have built it correctly. Look at the manual and follow that. Make sure to tighten the nut on the spring as per the manual.

2. Is the spur itself out of round? Try a different one.

3. Are all of the screws that hold the transmission housing there, in place, and tightened correctly to the motor plate?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

well the pads are sitting in the spur properly and the hubs canbe bent because i rotated the shaft with a drill and the whole tranny was moving, and i have switched out the spur with another one but it made no differance, and everything is tightend properly, but i still am confused on what could be causing such a thing there is nothing left to suspect, except for the case but that cant be the problem, i might probly have to take it to my local hobby store to check it out. but thanks again for the responses guys.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Mine is making a sound as well, well my sons anyways. Have you rebuilt the differential? We have diagnosed it down to that. At first I thought it was the mesh, so tried a new spur, set it with paper, new motor, nothing, still made the sound. I am awaiting my new diff rebuild kit, and hoping that is the ticket.
HTH
Rod
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

i was looking at the rebuilt kit and the rebuilt kit only carries the parts for the limited slip gear inside the tranny i beleive it has the rings that go on the hub and and the little balls and other stuff but i pinn pointed mine to that shaft because i tested the shaft by spinning it on a drill by itself and then i tested it spinning inside the tranny and it was making the tranny wobble, i even took out the idler gear inside the tranny so that does not affect, so only the top shat would spin. i hopw we can both find out the problem we have, just let me know how the rebuilt kit goes. thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

mine also makes noise too, even though i try to set the gear mesh loose, i noticed when driving the mesh gets tight then gets loose thts what was making the noise.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

i also made a mistake in the post the slipper plates are not bent
Old 12-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Tech Legend

Sounds like the top shaft is bent...
Old 12-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

i replaced the top shaft gave me the same resalts
Old 12-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Suspended

check your thrust bolt it is probably bent. also when you guys rebuild your diffs make sure you clean the thrust balls with motor spray then rebuild the whole thing per the instructions. also check your outdrive bearings as well as the bearings in the idler gear. it is very unlikely that you have a bent top shaft. when you rebuild your diffs also put in new diff rings. if this does not fix your problems then you are missing some parts in your diff builds. like the spring or the two bearings in the middle of the diff, rtr will have bushings instead of bearings. the diffs are kinda tough your first time through them but they are the most important part of your tranny. take your time and follow the manual.

good luck let me know how they come out. also be sure to set it properly as for the adjustment if it gets too loose you will be building it often. an associated tranny properly built will last a very long time between rebuilds even if you race twice a week or more. i only go through mine about every three months and i race mine alot.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default ?

wingnut...he says his spur gear is wobbling. Does the bottom of the transmission cause the spur to wobble?

I'm wondering if he's missing part #9602 the bushing or if a 3977 bearing might be bad. I've never had a bearing go bad in the trans, but I guess I'd look for it.

the OP should get the manual, take apart the trans and rebuild it exactly as the directions say. This will tell him if something is missing. Would only take 15 minutes.

He also doesn't say if he built this himself or if it's a RTR...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default oops

he did say it was a ready to run.

still..take it apart and lay it all out just like the building directions.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

He did say he changed everything but the case...maybe the case got warped and there is some slop in the top shaft bearing hole?????? Try the case...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.