Like Tree12Likes

Ranch Pit Shop

Old 06-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

I talked to one of the guys at Losi about that very subject a while back, but forgot what the reason was. I don't think it was a big deal or anything though.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wish i would have had the chance to race there
Old 06-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Definately a great place to race in its time
Old 06-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

YES IT WAS! Lot's of good times were had by many there.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Dave, I'm sure we must have raced together quite a bit in those days! Your name sounds familiar. Remember NORRCA? I ran all the series races back in 93-94. '93 ROAR Off Road Nationals in Bakersfield (Racers Haven?), There was even a outdoor track in NORCO, cant remember the name. M-n-M hobbies, So-Cal when it was in the old supermarket, the indoor track in Yorba Linda, I know there were others. Wow, memories
Old 06-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It was the NORRCA offroad nats in bakersfield in '93. I was there too. Damn it was hot. Missed a qualifier in 2whl because I was at the hotel pool.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

This is where I first started racing back in 86 or 87 Before they remodeld the store. I raced there until I moved up north in 1989. The dirt track was in the back behind the gas track. We raced oval every other wed. night. The oval was loamy during the week but at a big event they would let it go blue groove. The thing would ROCK then. The only tires that would really hook were opti-grabs. Gil jr. used to bring out the JRX2 proto in between heats and test it. Gary Keyes used to announce them. It was built up in kind of a bowl, the concrete was a BITCH if your car was loose. I think the only better oval I raced on was at Ascot in Gardena.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

It closed because it was supposed to move. It was decided not to reopen. It closed not too long after they hosted the worlds, maybe a year later.

If it wern't for Allen and his skating, Team Losi as we know it probably wouldn't exist.

The Colton skate place was called Rancho Meditteranea Skatepark.

Hey Dave P, I saw those batteries that grenaded in the mag.
Should I come by and drop off some 4200's?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I grew up racing there.. won the pro am in 94 when I was 12.

I remember my Dad taking me to Bakersfield and Vegas to qualify for the worlds when the Ranch hosted them... good times.

You guys remember Al the race director and Jason... geez... I still remember Marcus and Allan in the shop.... wow.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
It was the NORRCA offroad nats in bakersfield in '93. I was there too. Damn it was hot. Missed a qualifier in 2whl because I was at the hotel pool.
Thats right! It was the NORRCA nationals. I was in the "B" main of Expert stock buggy running a "pre-production" Traxxas TRX 2wd buggy that I had to build the night before qualifying. What a mistake that was! And hell ya it was HOT! Good thing the pits and track were covered. That track was super blue groove!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Tee
Tech Apprentice

You all forgot that Jim Halsey owned it last? The only time I raced there (ever) was the weeknight race before the same weekend in '93 they had the Norrca nats in Bakes. I was down for a work conference, needed something to do and had Jim in my main, which he won.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing
Hey Dave, I'm sure we must have raced together quite a bit in those days! Your name sounds familiar. Remember NORRCA? I ran all the series races back in 93-94. '93 ROAR Off Road Nationals in Bakersfield (Racers Haven?), There was even a outdoor track in NORCO, cant remember the name. M-n-M hobbies, So-Cal when it was in the old supermarket, the indoor track in Yorba Linda, I know there were others. Wow, memories
I'm sure I raced with you guys back then also, JR had Norrca going back then. All the tech guys wore the Norrca shirts and hats.. ..But at least they were trying to look professional.. Any of you guys make it to the Nat's. when it was at Zero-N-4 Hobbies? What was the Dunn's track called? I think it was in Chatsworth?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I remember Marcus. Ken ran the shop before he did. I believe Ken is (was) married to Losi's sister?? Something like that. I dropped in the store back then and Marcus was still there, I could'nt believe he was still there
Old 06-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xxxkat
What was the Dunn's track called? I think it was in Chatsworth?

Race Prep Raceway, I think??
Old 06-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I must be really older than most of you, and I'm 36...I remember going there in 1980/81 when my brother and I got a Tamiya Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider, and I believe in 1983, my father got himself the Super Champ! I wasn't a racer, but we used to go there for all of our parts. My brother got the first RC-10 (gold chassis) and I got my Yokomo Dogfighter (chain driven 4WD) there as well. I remember when the main track was the on-road right behind the shop, and the back was off-road. Then they got rid of the on-road by putting dirt all over it. I don't remember time-frames of all the changes, but that place was my candy store when I was a kid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.