Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric Buggy Choices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RoostAZ
that X-factory sounds like one of the best, I would like to see some pics of it though, the site needs pics bad.
The site needs pictures?? Look around! Links:
2006 Cactus Classic Gallery
2006 Losi Race Gallery
X - 5 Gallery

Originally Posted by DUB_Ben
My only gripe about it though is that the front bulkheads seem unnecessarily weak. I broke 3 in one race day. This was probably the weakest car I owned.
For the XX4, put on an aluminum brace off the front end of the RC10B3 (I believe. Its AE part number 9120). It cost $2 and a little dremel work; I've been running the same front bulkhead for almost a year, and only replaced it then because it wore out. See it here.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Haha, sorry I didn't see those, there was no link labeled pictures or anything. And I still haven't seen the X-5 chassis with the body off. those are some sick race pics though.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would do that, but I sold my XX-4 so I could buy the BJ4.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

www.the-pred.co.uk has info on the X10 and past predators

www.rc10b4.com has a BJ4 forum

www.oople.com/forums has some good info

X5 review- http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewx5/index.html

XX4 review- http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewxx4/
RC Driver recently reviewed it a few months ago

X10 review- http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewx10/index.html
RC Driver reviewed it in their current issue, RCCA reviewed it 5-7 months ago

MR4BX review- http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewbx/index.html

ZX5 review- http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/zx5/
RCCA reviewed it 4-6 months ago

Also, look here for a good discussion http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115168
Just ignore all of HVAC's posts
Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoostAZ
I have a Losi XXX-T right now, and want to get a 4wd buggy to race. Right now I am leaning towards the XXX4 Losi buggy, but I really like the JConcepts BJ4, although it is probably too expensive. Can anyone name some other quality 4wd buggy's that I could consider. I want something a fair bit different from the XXX-T stadium truck (differenct motor position, etc.) Belt or shaft driven. thanks
If I was staying in R/C, I'd wheel BJ4WE and only the BJ4WE. The X-5 is also a very nice ride, but requires a decent amount of custom dremeling and maintenance isn't as easy.

The ZX-5 seems like a tight car, too, but I have no experience with it.

The only one I would suggest you NOT get is the XXX-4/XXX-4 G+. It handles well on smooth tracks, but it's practically made of glass. Cheap glass. Cheap glass that's been abused. Cheap glass that's been abused and was imported from Cheapabusedglassikistan.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One thing to remember is that all of these buggys were made run in Japan and Europe except the Losi. In Europe the run on carpeted outdoor tracks or indoors on hardwood. In Japan the tracks are mostly clay, very smooth and very clean. If you race where there is gravel or stones in the dirt consider the Losi as it is the only buggy without exposed belts or spur gears. They may not always be the fastest but if you break a belt or strip a spur gear you will not finish and you have to finish to win. My Yoko has exposed belts and exposed diffs, it is fast but it is a ton of wrenching and is expensive to run. Most every week it gets the diffs rebuilt with new sprockets and the motors run hot due to the sealing of the body to keep out dirt. The Kyoshos and most other shaft drive buggys I have seeen are having spur gear problems, more wrenching. The Losi seems "easier" to race as you can put up your feet and have a drink and burger between rounds, even rebuild your motor as you will have time.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason B
If I was staying in R/C, I'd wheel BJ4WE and only the BJ4WE. The X-5 is also a very nice ride, but requires a decent amount of custom dremeling and maintenance isn't as easy.

The ZX-5 seems like a tight car, too, but I have no experience with it.

The only one I would suggest you NOT get is the XXX-4/XXX-4 G+. It handles well on smooth tracks, but it's practically made of glass. Cheap glass. Cheap glass that's been abused. Cheap glass that's been abused and was imported from Cheapabusedglassikistan.
Damn you!!!... Was about to get an X10 and then you pull the BJ4we out? ... Now im more confused which to get first
Old 06-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Damn you!!!... Was about to get an X10 and then you pull the BJ4we out? ... Now im more confused which to get first
Well if you ever feel like taking a run at the ZX-5, I've got one here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117731

Out of the box, the Lazer needs more update parts to be properly competitive, but once everything is sorted the car is a rocket. Parts are cheap & readily-available as well.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Default um

with any 4 wd make sure you have extra spare parts ok check the track and see what everybody is running
Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The only things you *need* on a ZX-5 to make it live really well (as good as anything out there) are the tower braces and fron hinge pivot. The stock pivot and gearbox has been upgraded by Kyosho, so that's not really much of an issue at this point.

I run mine every week...and have since they came out. I chewed one spur (78T), went to a 76T and it's been in the car for months, with no problems.

It's BY FAR the funnest car I have. I run it hard and I'm not particularly nice to it...I've broken my share of parts for sure, but that comes with the territory. I don't think I'd even consider any of the other cars out there...at least for me.

The Lazer is as fast as any of them, very tough and parts are dirt cheap (arms 4/$5, knuckles/c-hubs $5 set, chassis $25, etc.). I'm not afraid to beat it, because I can afford to fix it.

My XXX-4 cost me 40-50 bucks every time it took a good hit...LOL
Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Sup T.Joe, i hear ya. But i was hoping to try a little something different this time around, i know about kyosho and how good their buggies are and last time i raced real competitively was with their Lazer ZXR - ZXS for about 3 years and so you can see where im coming from with trying something new.