Spy Photos: Losi mid-engine 2wd

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spy Photos: Losi mid-engine 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

A battery mounted across the chassis will not make for very good polar movement..I understand there's not much room in the chassis, but it's always good to have the weight towards the center of the car.

mafia - If the car turns out to be pretty good, I'm sure there will be enough different to offer a completely new kit. At the very least, the rear end will need a ton of new parts and if the car is going to need a LOT to convert an older kit, I'm sure it would be more economical for the company and the consumer to have a completely different kit.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

nice
Old 05-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I'd guess after a discreet email or two from TL we won't hear much more about this particular project again.

I'm not sure if this concept can be proven without a few of the best drivers in the world behind the wheel. It was tried in the 80's and worked great in oval, i'd guess it may also be good on grass?

Origional, no, anything to do with TL, no, Cool.....well ya!

LOL, Jim
Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

interesting...

not really a fan of saddle packs though. i want to see the inside! xD
Old 05-30-2006, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

It's very possible it's just an engineering exercise. That kind of stuff happens all the time.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have seen inside and it is sweet... don't think any of them have been touched by Team Losi although some are made by TL drivers, some are not. I would do it if I could figure out how to reverse the gearbox and keep the spur/motor plate on the correct side.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

I got a kick out of getting home from the race in Vegas this past weekend and seeing this thread...I just heard about this car over the weekend, get home and there's pictures of it on the internet!

Like I said...companies try stuff all the time. The advent of the (good) digital camera, and the internet, makes it easier to catch prototype stuff and show it to the public.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

well, the body looks to be right off a xx-4, so odds are thats the basis for the chais. Now, lets go and shave out that slot for the belt and sit the batteries right there. Now, lets go and mount up that xxx trans in the back of the car and mount the xxx front end on the front. Now if you are seriously clue less as to how to reverse the gear box then maybe you should switch the polarity of the motor. Yes, they will spin both directions at the same speed if setup correctly. As far as the positioning of the electronics and batteries heres a simple concept to think about. The closer it is towards the center, the faster it will shift its weight. This means that when you give it throtle it will send weight to the back faster and ect. If you sit the batteries on the sides then the car will roll slower. Ever stood in a canoe? Close your legs and you will notice what little changes do and how fast it moves. Spread them and you will notice how much slower things change. It all comes down to how fast you want the car to roll. I am sure that you can run softer shocks in the rear end to create the needed tractioin for 2wd. This means that the car can turn sooner after you aply breaks and get heavey on the throtle sooner after you come out of a corner. If you are familiar with 2wd you will know that when you come out of a stand still or off the breaks the car will not accelerate well at all. However, once that weight has shifted the car can be pushed very hard if set up well. When you move weight from the rear to the middle, this also allows you to move extra weight from the front to the middle of the chasis which will help to send weight back to the rear when you get on power. Now, what this means is that you can now break for less time when entering a corner. Then when you exit the corner you can now baby the throtle for less time as you exit the corner.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I donno if I agree with all of that, but it's definitely nice to see the Losi guys (even if it is not factory-authorized) continuously trying to get faster. I still think that regardless of the success or failure of the 4wd car they ran at the worlds, you have to give this team props for trying new (and old) things.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of this car without the body on it.

doug
Old 05-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

We may or may not see pictures without the body, who knows?

I certainly think it's more involved than taking a XX-4 and pulling the front drive out of it, factory authorized or not. Losi is very well known for trying a lot of stuff to learn what changes everything makes.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know and have seen 'inside' pics of it and I can tell you now, there is NO XX-4 bits in there, none at all. The handling would be funky to start with, wrong rake and caster and steering geometry. The one car is a modified XXX chassis and the other is a one-off.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

the 2 cars that are the main focus of this thread are Identical afaik steve and both use a narrow chassis. its just one uses a narrow shell as well.