Wiki Posts
Search

Jammin X1-CR FTE vs Hobao Hyper 8

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
does the MBX come with wheels and tires? i might have missed that if you said it already.
Why yes, it does! Thanks for reminding me.

I like my Mugen. Yam Race, there is no way you will fit that Jammin between my Mugen and the pipes.
See you at the Rockpile on Sunday dude.

Last edited by Davidka; 05-16-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
Why yes, it does! Thanks for reminding me.

I like my Mugen. Yam Race, there is no way you will fit that Jammin between my Mugen and the pipes.
See you at the Rockpile on Sunday dude.

Famous last words.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

did it always come with wheels and tires?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

The "M" car is diffinetly a better built car and with the right driver can beat any other car. With that said lets get back to jammin talk.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

the jammin, both the rtr and the kit, are ready to race right out of the box with pretty much no modification. the only problem that the jammin drivers have been seeing is the need for an aluminum B block, but the Team kit includes that now, so that's not a problem. the 8 is a really good deal for the price, and it even included wheels, tires, and a pipe!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Well I own an old MBX4RR and I can tell you that it's lasted long enough to beat several newer versions at the track, despite being inferior by modern standards. On grass, it does really well. Mugen produces awesome quality components that last very well. Kit prices are a little higher than some, but far lower than Kyosho. Clearly, the Mugen is, and always has been, a

The Jammin buggy is obviously a good choice, alot of buggy for your money and it certainly does the business on the track.

The Hyper 8 is an impressive machine. I'm especially impressed with the Hyper 8 Pro UK. Somehow they manage to give you all the good parts, including better diffs, for less money than the Hyper 7 Pro (which is still available BTW). Look at how low the CoG is with the Hyper 8. It's sure to do well this season, it really can't fail. In the UK, it has a strong team.

1 question though - why do they call it Ho Boa in the USA? Even in the adverts in Driver, RCCA, etc, the picture shows a Hyper 8 with Ho Bao stickers all over it, yet in the text it says Ho Boa. Same in the race reports - it seems like people have a phobia of saying 'Ho Bao'. Look, I said it again!! HO BAO!!! It must be an OFNA thing......
Old 05-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

1 question though - why do they call it Ho Boa in the USA? Even in the adverts in Driver, RCCA, etc, the picture shows a Hyper 8 with Ho Bao stickers all over it, yet in the text it says Ho Boa. Same in the race reports - it seems like people have a phobia of saying 'Ho Bao'. Look, I said it again!! HO BAO!!! It must be an OFNA thing......
aren't you kind of contradicting yourself there? we usually call them "ofnas" in the US.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

aren't you kind of contradicting yourself there? we usually call them "ofnas" in the US.
Contradicting myself? I'm not sure - I don't think I am.

What I'm trying to say is:

Very often, when magazines refer to the new Ho Bao Hyper 8, they write 'Ho Boa' instead of 'Ho Bao'.

And it's not just the magazine articles or race reports - it's OFNA's own adverts too. In the adverts I saw recently, it has a picture of a Hyper 8, complete with 'Ho Bao' stickers, yet in the accompanying sales hype, it referred to it twice as the Ho Boa. WTF?

Is it just a typo that keeps getting repeated? Or is Ho Boa the US version of the far eastern Ho Bao? Goddammit - what do us brits call the car when we visit the states?

1) An OFNA Hyper 8

2) A Ho Bao Hyper 8

3) A Ho Boa Hyper 8

Perhaps we should start a poll!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Lord

Ofna is actually a distribution company here in the US. Ho Bao is the Asain manufacturer that makes the Hyper Series of cars. The Jammin's are made by another company called Hong Nor. These two might be marketed/imported separately in other countries.

MBX 5's have always come with Mugen dish wheels and Crimefighters.

BTW, I have been hearing that the Hyper 8 for the most part wears much better than the Hyper 7. The only part that I've heard wears fast so far are the inserts in the rear hubs for adjusting hub height/toe.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Is it just a typo that keeps getting repeated? Or is Ho Boa the US version of the far eastern Ho Bao? Goddammit - what do us brits call the car when we visit the states?

1) An OFNA Hyper 8

2) A Ho Bao Hyper 8

3) A Ho Boa Hyper 8
hey, cool it man. just call it the Hyper 8.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

hey, cool it man. just call it the Hyper 8.
OK Dude, I'm cool now....

Hyper 8 Pro UK it is then......
Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
Ofna is actually a distribution company here in the US. Ho Bao is the Asain manufacturer that makes the Hyper Series of cars. The Jammin's are made by another company called Hong Nor. These two might be marketed/imported separately in other countries.

MBX 5's have always come with Mugen dish wheels and Crimefighters.

BTW, I have been hearing that the Hyper 8 for the most part wears much better than the Hyper 7. The only part that I've heard wears fast so far are the inserts in the rear hubs for adjusting hub height/toe.
I'm with you.

It's just the Ho Bao/Ho Boa confusion that I was finding 'entertaining'.

In the UK, it's CML that distributes the Hyper range of cars. I for one am a big fan of Ho Bao. From a UK perspective, they were the first maker of 1/8th buggies that were low priced, yet still decent quality and competitive on the track.

I know the early Hyper 7 cars had CVD/Driveshaft problems and the engines had con-rod issues. But they seemed pretty tough besides.

If the Hyper 8 performs better, is more durable and costs less to buy, it's going to be the new people's champ. I'll probably buy one to replace my 8 year old MBX4RR (now that's what I call a long term test!!). With that in mind, my next 1/8th Buggy will probably be the Hyper 16.....
Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Ho boa, Ho bao. That's hallarious. There marketing team can't even spell the product correctly. Stupid funny stuff like that really makes me laugh!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Lord

A buddy of mine at work has a Japenese newspaper ad for some kind of drink with Japenese characters all over it and a guy holding the drink. The guy has a speech bubble next to him (looking all excited) that says in English: "When mouth goes happy, all time yummy".

I can't keep a straight face whenever I see that.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How do you pronounce Ho Bao anyway? I've always said it "Ho Bow", I dunno if thats right though. Any Asians in here know how to say it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.