Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Essential a total newbie, looking for suggestions on a upgradable e buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Of all the 1/8 RTR's on the market, Caster gets my vote but it's $530 and little out of the price range, definitely worth the price for what you get, I have a review thread on here to include what key upgrades are necessary and the limitations the platform has on high grip conditions:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Caster-ETO821
Coldwaters likes this.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Its hard to beat the TLR tuned Typhon for a great tough buggy that you can race and bash.
Coldwaters likes this.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Truly amazed at the amount t of quality replies. Thank you

RetroThutmose likes this.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I also recommend that when you get something, you pull up the assembly manual, a couple of beers and disassemble the entire thing down to the last screw. Make sure you keep individual components in ziploc backs along with their all their screws. Clean them all and then rebuild it all from scratch. Depending on the complexity and how well you catalogued all pieces, it can take 10-12 hours if you're new at it. Make sure to track missing screws, broken/damaged pieces, symmetrical screws that are different, stripped screws or holes and anything else that is amiss. This will tell you very quickly how accurately the seller represented their rc vehicle. You should plan to replace some parts depending on your tolerance for things that are wrong. Also remember that metal on metal parts should have grease. If they don't or if the diff oil/shock oil is dirty, then the owner probably didn't do a very good job maintaining it. Sometimes it's hard to tell the age of the diff oil because there is supposed to be grease and oil inside the diff.

Be very careful with shims since they are so easy pull apart and not see where they were originally. It's also very easy to drop little (and big) pieces and lose them. Don't disassemble over carpet.

Once you get good at it, you will be able to do it much more quickly and be able to replace broken pieces without disassembling everything.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the input... I ended up buying a arrmar 3s vorteks. it seemed like a good fit of durability,speed and price point.

so far it has been great car. My son and I have had a ton of fun and bashing and jumping this thing and even played with it on pavement.

thanks again for all the insight
RetroThutmose likes this.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coldwaters
Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the input... I ended up buying a arrmar 3s vorteks. it seemed like a good fit of durability,speed and price point.

so far it has been great car. My son and I have had a ton of fun and bashing and jumping this thing and even played with it on pavement.

thanks again for all the insight
Great choice. Perfect for getting into the hobby.