Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree141Likes

Mugen 2WD Buggy!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

I know it has nothing with this buggy and its been like this for like a decade or more now but I HATE the current offroad layout with battery in the middle and ESC in the front. the motor wires should be kept short not run all the way along the long axis of the chassis IMO. just bad engineering. but since everyone is doing it I guess that's just the only way it can be done.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slappomatt
I know it has nothing with this buggy and its been like this for like a decade or more now but I HATE the current offroad layout with battery in the middle and ESC in the front. the motor wires should be kept short not run all the way along the long axis of the chassis IMO. just bad engineering. but since everyone is doing it I guess that's just the only way it can be done.
You ever race a rear motor buggy? absolutely laughable design to race with. Everything is a compromise and current buggies are pretty well laid out as is.

Which is why the mugen is a rip off of the TLR front cosmetically and the AE geometry wise and quick access diff wise. Why innovate when copying is good enough?
Old 09-20-2023, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by foosoomin
Oops, didn't know it break at the part, even with aluminum material.

Thank you for notifying
I have never seen one break. The aluminum insert is just to locate the ballstud. There is a nylock nut underneath it, captured in the plastic, that the ballstud screws into.

Look at the TLR 22 5.0 manual for an example of how that mount works. It is very durable.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

BigBuckORamma ,

Thank you for sharing the more detail explanation, appreciated it
Old 09-21-2023, 02:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
I have never seen one break. The aluminum insert is just to locate the ballstud. There is a nylock nut underneath it, captured in the plastic, that the ballstud screws into.

Look at the TLR 22 5.0 manual for an example of how that mount works. It is very durable.

BigBuckORamma

I saw it, thank you........the upper tie-rod will be secured
Old 09-21-2023, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

I believe the vehicle you're looking for is the HB racing D216, the esc was mounted on the gear cover opposite of the motor.
Buckland and Flipside6900 like this.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What is the advantage to having short wires from the ESC to the motor?
Flipside6900 likes this.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

[Yeah, cause that wire has tons of resistance. ]

It's a non issue. Besides, it's the lamest class in all of rc racing. I doubt there's going to be a heat issue with the wires.
Flipside6900 likes this.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

FWIW, most buggy manufacturers have likely stuck with the laydown, mid-motor and centralized battery, because they have been able to get them working at least as good or better than other configurations across a wider variety of track conditions… So you either make a buggy that can be reconfigured all sorts of ways, or you can stick to one configuration and our enough adjustability to work in a variety of conditions. From a cost effective perspective, you can see why they went for the latter route.

Personally, I like the modern layout. Everything of weight is in-board and more or less centralized. It’s no surprise that a lot of buggies look similar… and it’s not much different in the Touring Car class either. All those cars are so familiar, outside of the Awesomatix - with an honorable mention to Serpent’s Project 4X from about 5 years back.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Zerodefect;16035507][Yeah, cause that wire has tons of resistance. ]

It's a non issue. Besides, it's the lamest class in all of rc racing. I doubt there's going to be a heat issue with the wires.[/QUO
Old 09-22-2023, 12:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Adam Drake did say in his interview that the single buggy would be used for both dirt or carpet out of the box.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I think it's a pretty big improvement on high traction to have the heaviest component (battery) basically right at the centrepoint of the buggy, this has been ongoing for the past few years. Only question to me is if they will start moving the motor forward too.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
You ever race a rear motor buggy? absolutely laughable design to race with. Everything is a compromise and current buggies are pretty well laid out as is?
I did, for many years. There are still things I don’t think mid-motor cars do as well as rear motor cars. I bet if I put a well set up B5rm on the track I wouldn’t be any slower with it.

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Yeah, I think it's a pretty big improvement on high traction to have the heaviest component (battery) basically right at the centrepoint of the buggy, this has been ongoing for the past few years. Only question to me is if they will start moving the motor forward too.
A while back someone smart explained the dynamics of he motor’s torque/leverage over the chassis & weight transfer to me that I’d never considered. It was pertinent to the difference between the way AE’s two mid motor transmissions behave. I won’t try to recall it, I’d just confuse myself (and probably readers here) but the explanation made sense out of motor position on the chassis unrelated to front/rear weight bias. It led me to believe that they”ve found pretty much the optimum position. There is that conversion that stacks idler gears to move the motor WAY forward but I never heard of one running remarkably well.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
You ever race a rear motor buggy? absolutely laughable design to race with. Everything is a compromise and current buggies are pretty well laid out as is?
I did, for many years. There are still things I don’t think mid-motor cars do as well as rear motor cars. I bet if I put a well set up B5rm on the track I wouldn’t be any slower with it. Run one again if you get the chance. I bet you’ll be surprised.

Originally Posted by RazorRC
A while back someone smart explained the dynamics of he motor’s torque/leverage over the chassis & weight transfer to me that I’d never considered. It was pertinent to the difference between the way AE’s two mid motor transmissions behave. I won’t try to recall it, I’d just confuse myself (and probably readers here) but the explanation made sense out of motor position on the chassis unrelated to front/rear weight bias.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Default When does it come out?

Anyone know release date?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.