Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need a durable electric rig!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default I need a durable electric rig!

Well I just got the Mamba Max 5700 system for my old XXXT i got a while back. Needless to say this system is nuts, I can't imagine ever wanting or needing the 7700, i am running 3300's and at the stock settings the mamba max is s beast ripping up the track. My rear tires seriously get twice as big in diameter and become spikes. Anyways the system is tearing apart my truck, and I dont want to tune it down or make it slower, but I want my truck to run, and run faast!. I have pretty much givin up with trying to make it reliable, because there is no hope of that anymore. I am looking for a reliable truck/buggy to run my mamba max system in. I really want a 4wd buggy, like the Kyosho Lazer, or similar, something cheap like around 2 or 300 that I can get in a kit and build myself with titanium bulletproof everything, I also love truggy's and stuff. Basically I just want to switch to 4wd for this monster power plant. Any sudgestions of a really reliable, able to take a lot of abuse and a lot of torque and speed. Or do I have to convert an 1/8th scale buggy or something. BTW, how do you think that would work, an 1/8th scale buggy with the mamba max, I think even with the significant weight addition it would still be fast and way durable.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

get the losi XXX-4 graphite (http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSA0015 ) i dont own one but someone at my track has one. that thing is a beast. he can run it with most revos. he said its extreemly reliable. oyu could take all your servos off your XXXT and put it on there to, so you wouldnt be paying hundreds for new servos. but i have heard great stuff abnout that buggy. and i drove one at my track and LOVED it. so much fun compared to a 2wd truck.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the XXX4 is really nice, but the Kyosho ZX-5 (and about $60 less) with the aluminum shock tower mount is supposed to be more durable. Any 4 mod is going to break, and it is usually the stuff that you think would not break it that cause the breaks.
HTH
Rod
Old 11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Kyosho is $279 at my LHS and the XXX4 I think is the most fragile 4wd... at the races there are way more DNFs for the XXX4 than any other car.

Maybe it's the just drivers but I don't think my track is the only one like this.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Talking stampede it

chuck it in a traxxas stampede, you will have a lot of fun with it
Old 11-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

their is a xxx4 for sale at my LHS for 200, so i could get one of those easy. but I am not a fan of graphite at all, from having my graphite MF2 XXXt, and I am also not a fan of belt drives. Idk I could build that cheap enough. Would you think a 2wd buggy would be MORE durable than 4wd, because I could also get a n associated 2wd buggy for 160
Old 11-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dallasv8
chuck it in a traxxas stampede, you will have a lot of fun with it
I have thought about that, I wanted a stampede, but I want it to be in a race truck not just basher. Do you think an emaxx would be cool with one, an electric race emaxx. That actually might be a good idea...
Old 11-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i am curious, what are you breaking? i am running 6X4200 and the 7700 in an mf2.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

I turned my tires inside out and put packing tape on the inside of my tires. Flip them back right side out and inserted foam and tape. The tires don't ballon nearly as much now. I run the 5700.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
The Kyosho is $279 at my LHS and the XXX4 I think is the most fragile 4wd... at the races there are way more DNFs for the XXX4 than any other car.

Maybe it's the just drivers but I don't think my track is the only one like this.

I agree I own a losi XXX4G+ and its not been a very good buggy.The XXX4 is certainly the most fragile RC vechicle I've ever owned.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

In stock form the XXX-4G+ has a few weak points but once upgraded the car becomes durable. Mainly upgrading the front and rear pivots to aluminum and doing the kingpin mod available at 4wdrc.com makes this a pretty tough car. There is nothing wrong with the XXX-4 belt drive it can take quite a bit of abuse and is low maintainence. I do wonder what you found you do not like about Losi's graphite used on the MF2. Mine has been exceptionally durable and IMO the best graphite available.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Probably the most durable 4wd buggy you will find is the MRC / Academy SB Series of vehicles. I beat the crap out of both of them, and hit pretty much everything you could when I ran at Wolcott hobbies with the V1 and it was a tank. The V2 also proved as durable when I ran it and the parts were also were more refined than the V1. the V1s parts (namely the arms) have slightly more flex to them but are extremely beefy.

If you are just looking for a beater vehicle, the SB Pro V1 can be had now onsale at MRC's site I think for 180? with a center oneway, get the 74 tooth spur gear, you should be all set.

The V2 can be had at ultimate hobbies for $208 I believe and if not there Stormer has them for $230ish . Only thing I would get right away for the vehicle would be the alloy shocks from Academy and run a o-ring on each side of the rear axles to push the dogbones in slightly to prevent bone fallout.

V2 out of the box with those changes performed as well as my fully setup SB Pro V1 ever did.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slink
I agree I own a losi XXX4G+ and its not been a very good buggy.The XXX4 is certainly the most fragile RC vechicle I've ever owned.
I have hit stuff with my XXX4 that would have broke my stock truck, or a revo, and had nothing break, and then I have clipped a pipe at low speeds and broke an arm. With the correct aluminum mounts, and the correct length screws in the front diff, this thing is durable. other than maybe the arms, but with lap times that can be equivalent to an 1/8th nitro buggy, and skinny arse plastic arms, what do you expect?
Rod
Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

XXX4 has a reputation as a fragile car... when compared to other 4wds (apples to apples) it's just a fact. No offense to xxx4 owners...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have to admit ive broke alot of stuff on my XXX4, but since upgrading to the all alum pivot blocks, getting the carbon fiber chassis brace, and LEARNING TO DRIVE IT, ive stopped breaking alot of stuff... the usual pipe clip and snap goes an arm or spindle, but that happens to everyone.
with lap times that can be equivalent to an 1/8th nitro buggy, and skinny arse plastic arms, what do you expect?
The car is an absolute rocket with my 12x1 orion, a 5700 would be insane! The car does handle awesome,but ive only ran on indoor clay blue groove, what type of track to do run usually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.