Wiki Posts
Search

Best ball cups and ends for B6.3 and B74.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Best ball cups and ends for B6.3 and B74.1

So I am looking to change these and the turnbuckles out on my 2 vehicles. I know that there is a ton of "slop" in these associated cars, and I know I'll never get it all out and for that long, but I would like to at least reduce as much of it as I can with stuff I plan to replace anyway.

I've searched the forums here but most information is buried among pages and pages of threads, so I thought I could start my own, and maybe it would be a helpful reference for someone else as well in the future.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-07-2023, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Most have switched over to the B74.2 3.5mm ballcups. ASC92308 They are a bit tighter than the standard AE Ballcups. And do not require drilling for aftermarket 3.5mm Titanium turnbuckles like those from 1Up, or JConcepts.

A lot of people also like the Yokomo ballcups, but i am not familiar with them enough to know which part number to recommend.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yokomo
Old 09-07-2023, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the yokomo 5.5mm ballcups on my b6.4 and they are fine. But they are kinda brittle. They are also slightly shorter than kit ballcups so they are easier to break if you run long links. I ran them on my b6.3 as well, but would occasionally break them.

My b74.2 is perfect, they are so tight from the factory I had to loosen them up and they are still snug almost a year later. I'll be putting them on my 2w soon. AE 1up and jcon all make 3.5mm turnbuckle kits and then you get the3.5mm ballcups from the 4wd. Its the best setup.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Yokomo cups are the way to go. I don’t drill, just add some grease to each end and they work with the HD style turnbuckles available. Run them up and down the threads a few times and they easy to adjust moving forward. I don’t remember the exact Lunsford lengths I purchased but I did go with longer links in the rear and lower toe adjustments.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, I appreciate the recommendations!
Old 09-08-2023, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know if the associated Ti HD ballstuds are any better or worse that the standard ones? Or basically just more expensive?
Old 09-08-2023, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Only if you are in search of an extra gram of lightness. I got out my scale, and measured some 10mm ball studs i had in stainless and titanium. The stainless balls came out to about 1.25g each, and the Ti came out to about .7g each. So you can save a couple of grams on each end of the car. Probably not worth it. That said, i am a hypocrite, and have the ti balls on the spindles front and rear. Less unsprung weight...so i tell myself in my mind when i am crashing into last place.
Technically, the surface finish on the Ti ball studs is a little cleaner out of the package than the stainless balls. But its nothing some metal polish wadding, or some polishing paste, a drill, and a microfiber cant solve on the stainless steel ones.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I prefer the StickyKicks titanium ball studs if you are thinking about changing. The finish is much better than the AE OEM steel ball stud and even the Ti Factory Team. However, the biggest plus for me is the extra deep heads which is a must for titanium.