Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree181Likes

Losi 1/4 Promoto-MX Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 12:24 PM
Bud
Tech Master

I don't know who posted it but I watched a vidio on u tube last night about these bikes. Looked pretty cool. Way better than the old Kyosho ones. There's a bunch of them. I watched this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-7kJeNO2mY
Old 06-26-2023, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by banx
looking forward to a youtube video you do of this.
Thanks, I'm really curious on the bike 'cause I've never had an RC bike before and I think this thing could range anywhere from "kinda limited" to "most awesome RC invention ever". So it will be fun to try. I've also owned a bunch of motorcycles so I'm really curious on how that translates to an RC.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
That track looks super wide and looks nothing like what most of us run on. I stand by everything I say, these bikes are going to be too difficult for most to drive on a track and they aren't going to meet expectations. Do you think people are going to stick with it for several packs to learn how to drive it, personally I don't (especially if they are getting hammered at/on the track and most want instant gratification), do you really think the average person is going to want to adjust this or that to make their $600 toy work properly (finding the right settings is going to take some time for most and then there's the constant tweakers who will be constantly adjusting to only end up going backwards), I don't (this is an RTR not a kit, most people buying RTR's just want to play not make adjustments), I see people getting frustrated. The bikes in the Losi video are being driven by people who know how to drive them, this bike in the hands of someone learning how to drive it is not going to go well and I think a lot of people will get frustrated and shelf it or sell it. Now put a bunch of bikes on the track with drivers trying to learn to drive them around the track and you're going to have chaos and a lot of dumped bikes getting ran over by the other 4 wheeled RC's on the track, which is only going to piss off the people with the bikes and these bikes getting ran over is more than likely going to tear them up and what do you think is going to happen if the downed bike tears up a set of race tires, that's not going to end well. IF they are raced, for the sake of everyone's sanity, they will need to have their own race day and I don't see that being realistic due to lack of interest, most of the people buying these will be bashers running them in a big area, most people buying won't be racers. These bikes are the surface equivalent to RC helicopters. One thing I can see happening with these bikes is some kind of no prep parking lot racing, I bet they'd be pretty good at oval as well, but transitioning from left to right in a short amount of space doesn't look promising.

Are you really saying that the only way to make this bike turn in a 3 foot radius is to slow it down to walking speed? That sounds painfully slow and they will definitely get in the way of other 4 wheeled RC's on the track.

As far as being durable, RCDriver took his to bash with a few friends a couple days after he received his and it broke (the video is on youtube for everyone to see and judge for themselves), so a few packs in of bashing fun and it's broken. Yeah, no. Then there's the issue of the electronics that Horizon uses, they have a high failure rate. Who wants to spend $600 on a toy to have it break within a few packs? You state you've had yours for six months and haven't broke it yet, but are you beating on it pack after pack like most bashers will or babying it, do you have video of you running it? How easy is this bike to work on? If it requires a lot of disassembly to replace parts that's going to turn people off as well. Like most Losi releases it looks cool, but falls short. Jury is still out regarding it needing shims and the quality of material used, because regardless of what you say Losi's recent track record when it comes to this is not good. I'll wait for a review from someone who actually had to pay money for it for an honest take on it.
I think once you get to drive one you will see how good it actually works. As for adjustments, the only adjustments on the radio are from steering trim, MSX6 assist, front brake trim, and front brake travel. You can drive the bike straight out of the box the way it's set. The development team put in a TON of work to make sure people wouldn't need to "adjust this or that to make their $600 toy work properly".

As for being on a track, I've driven it on a 'typical' 8th scale layout. Could it be more open? Sure. Does it have to be? No. As for practice, open practice time can be split up by groups. I've raced most every class out there in my time in the industry. I have seen open practice split up so many ways for different classes, skill levels, etc. I think once bikes get into people's hands, tracks will figure out how to fit them into the program quickly.

waxen and savage24x like this.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
Rick Vessell Going forward I truly believe it would be much more beneficial to Losi and other manufacturers while being a lot more interesting for viewers if you put the budget you use to provide youtubers with free RC's into documenting the research, development and testing process. It could be an ongoing series premiered at release that extends until delivery, showing us the ups and downs, the setbacks, the breakthroughs, what better way to engage with a current and potential customer while getting them excited about your product and brand. It would be so awesome to get more insight into what goes into making and developing and RC and you know what else it may do, draw more people to the hobby.
Sounds like the videos Xray produces showing their products and some of the processes they use. I will certainly mention it to the development team for future releases.

As for the bike, Frank Root has a video explaining all the features and why they were set up the way they were. Not a 'machine shop tour' but still highly informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk5fOgNZTn4

Old 06-26-2023, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What you see in the 2:58 mark in this video makes me think these things might not be that great on a track. The bike lands a jump and pushes like a dump truck through the next turn before finally just falling on its side and getting stuck. Basically it looks less capable on the track than a car and punishes you harder for seemingly much smaller driving mistakes.

They also seem like they would be pretty finicky to marshal correctly. Imagine getting screamed at from the driver's stand because you didn't give the bike enough of push when you put it back down on the track and it just falls over again.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is a 1:1 motorcycle harder to drive than a car? Sure. So if an RC motorcycle is harder to control than an RC car, that seems reasonable. I mean, it only has two wheels...
Old 06-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Is a 1:1 motorcycle harder to drive than a car? Sure. So if an RC motorcycle is harder to control than an RC car, that seems reasonable. I mean, it only has two wheels...

From someone who drives both cars and motorcycles on the dirt, it is true that you can drive faster, on a dirt track, with a car than a motorcycle. However, if the track is really rough, then a motorcycle will be faster. I will add, the motorcycle is a lot more fun.

Now, if they can make a killer RC race quad, it's game over. Kyosho made a good attempt, but that was only for bashing. I want to see a race dedicated one.
Cain, nitrous36 and banx like this.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:47 PM
Regional Moderator

I remember in the early '00s there was an RC sport bike aimed at road racing. I remember it being featured in a lot of tower hobbies catalog and I kind of wanted one. The internet wasnt then what it is now, so I don't know their popularity. But it seemed to be cool for 5 minutes, then fizzled. Bashers at the time were all about nitro monster trucks. Wish I could remember who made it though.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrous36
I remember in the early '00s there was an RC sport bike aimed at road racing. I remember it being featured in a lot of tower hobbies catalog and I kind of wanted one. The internet wasnt then what it is now, so I don't know their popularity. But it seemed to be cool for 5 minutes, then fizzled. Bashers at the time were all about nitro monster trucks. Wish I could remember who made it though.

The street bikes just seemed too clumsy looking. They needed too much room to turn and they didn't go very fast. I thought they were cool, so I bought one. I had it for about 3 months and sold it because I hardly cared to drive it.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
From someone who drives both cars and motorcycles on the dirt, it is true that you can drive faster, on a dirt track, with a car than a motorcycle. However, if the track is really rough, then a motorcycle will be faster. I will add, the motorcycle is a lot more fun.

Now, if they can make a killer RC race quad, it's game over. Kyosho made a good attempt, but that was only for bashing. I want to see a race dedicated one.
I thought something a long those lines. Im surprised losi didnt also make a quad model. But maybe they will. If they do make an RC quad, I just hope its not as roll over prone as 1:1 quads.

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
The street bikes just seemed too clumsy looking. They needed too much room to turn and they didn't go very fast. I thought they were cool, so I bought one. I had it for about 3 months and sold it because I hardly cared to drive it.
They were pretty cool looking though. I think they had inverted forks like a real bike.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
I think once you get to drive one you will see how good it actually works.
I'd love to drive it, but I'm not going to spend $600 at this time to do so, I have builds that I need to complete and other RC's that I desire more on my list. Send me one, I'll be honest and fair with my feedback. I live in the San Fernando Valley, so send me some extra batteries and the street tires with the bike and I'll host a demo for RCTech members to give them a chance to drive it and give some feedback as well.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RazorRC
I'm not sure my description of the clip at 2:58 in the linked video adequately describes how much of a complete fail that bike's attempt at getting around the track was. The bike literally could not turn, and when it did it simply fell over and got stuck. I have serious doubts about these bikes' ability to drive on existing RC tracks. I think there's a reason the video I linked doesn't show the bike on any other part of the track and why none of the other promo materials put out shows the bike on a typical RC track.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Probably because the riders don't have the ability to kick their inside foot out through turns.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Be curious if this takes off who first makes the option to order your own customized rider clothes
OffRoadJunkie and El_Rando like this.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
Be curious if this takes off who first makes the option to order your own customized rider clothes

That would be off the hook!
Cain and El_Rando like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.