Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree181Likes

Losi 1/4 Promoto-MX Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 04:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I've just read through this whole thread and it has been very entertaining. Now that we are into December, we can all hopefully acknowledge that the bike is a huge hit for Losi.

I ordered the red one and just intend to have fun with it and not take it too serious. I really believe that was the intended audience, and not the racer world. This thing was just too much fun.... I had to have one.

The aftermarket support is amazing. No worries about parts in the near future.
angrymelon and nielsm like this.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

After spending a few weeks driving promotos on an offroad track with banked corners, it handles banked corners perfectly. There is no issue whatsoever.

The bikes come with 3 different roll bar settings in your parts bag. Low, middle(kit), and high. Setting the roll bars higher allows you to take very tight corners however the downside to this is it takes longer to upright. A delay in uprighting affects how long the bike will continue steering exiting the corners. The low roll bar setting has the least amount of steering exiting lean/mid corner, and the high roll bar setting has the most steering exiting the lean/mid corner. I found for ungroomed offroad the lowest bars work very well, it uprights easier if the bike ever tips over and is most predictable setting leaving corners. Never had an issue with the low setting hitting anything either.

The kit also comes equipped with a multitude of springs on the servo saver and an additional one in a parts bag, I recommend adding on the extra one. It tightens up the steering just a bit more and makes the servo feel stronger, without adding too much strain to the servo(the saver still functions properly).

Hope this helps someone out there, these bikes are so fun.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I’ve had mine since launch day and it is easily my most favorite purchase of 2023.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE
I've just read through this whole thread and it has been very entertaining. Now that we are into December, we can all hopefully acknowledge that the bike is a huge hit for Losi.

I ordered the red one and just intend to have fun with it and not take it too serious. I really believe that was the intended audience, and not the racer world. This thing was just too much fun.... I had to have one.

The aftermarket support is amazing. No worries about parts in the near future.
I too read through some of the forum, and thought this Promoto was simply a fad. Having been into the hobby for over 30+ years, I have had rc cycles in the past that were extremely frustrating to drive. Well, I decided to give Losi a go, and ordered a Promoto from Beach R/C. It arrived in 2 days, simply put, I cannot stop driving this bike! 8 packs in with hall kinds of crashes, even hit a tree, and still no breakages! I love this thing, and am now actually thinking of ordering a 2nd Promoto for friends and family to drive, as mine will probably get the bling treatment.
mx836 and nielsm like this.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Wife seen one at the hobby shop on display. Took it home for a Christmas gift for my son. There will be lots of smiles on Christmas morning. I'll probably get a second bike to play with him also. It's no fun playing with a toy by yourself. I'm gonna check the thread but is there a favorite upgrade or aluminum bit yet?
Old 12-10-2023, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

We've been abusing the hell out of them, so far it seems like just the battery box and rear crash fender assembly are wise spare parts to keep around. It is extremely durable on dirt, I cannot express how many horrible crashes they can take and drive off like nothing ever happened. Akin to 8th scale buggy durability.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Love my Promoto for sure but I have some concern. In my 5th run of the bike I put it out on the track, went back to the stand and *POOF* that cloud of white smoke! Completely fried the gyro motor. No idea why? No idea how?

Losi/Horizon was very quick to send out a replacement motor with little fuss which tells me it's an ongoing issue. I think the only complaint I have on the bike is the electronics aren't waterproof. I think that's maybe what happened? But I still have no idea. Bike wasn't run in the water or puddles. And I can't get any response from Losi on what I can do to keep it from happening. It's only been the once and hopefully that's it but......nothing like seeing your new fav r/c go up in smoke on the start line! LOL!

Can't wait to get it going again. Just had a bunch of buddies come over and we cut in a full 1/4 scale moto track just for the bike! That was going to be the first run until the smoke show started! LOL
angrymelon likes this.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

Beware the 6240 servo listed in the hopup section of the Losi website is incompatible. The servo gear is around 2.5mm further forward than the promoto servo, the geometry of the steering gets thrown off. My buddy and I both bought one, pretty bummed they don't drop in
Old 01-03-2024, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

How are these holding up to abuse?
Old 01-04-2024, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petersen114
How are these holding up to abuse?
Insanely well for what it is in my opinion. People that absolutely abuse them break stuff, but I’ve crashed it at the local 1/8 track over and over. Never broke a thing until I hit the pit lane structure and bent a fork tube.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5150WS6
Love my Promoto for sure but I have some concern. In my 5th run of the bike I put it out on the track, went back to the stand and *POOF* that cloud of white smoke! Completely fried the gyro motor. No idea why? No idea how?

Losi/Horizon was very quick to send out a replacement motor with little fuss which tells me it's an ongoing issue. I think the only complaint I have on the bike is the electronics aren't waterproof. I think that's maybe what happened? But I still have no idea. Bike wasn't run in the water or puddles. And I can't get any response from Losi on what I can do to keep it from happening. It's only been the once and hopefully that's it but......nothing like seeing your new fav r/c go up in smoke on the start line! LOL!

Can't wait to get it going again. Just had a bunch of buddies come over and we cut in a full 1/4 scale moto track just for the bike! That was going to be the first run until the smoke show started! LOL
First I’ve heard of the gyro motor letting the smoke out and I’ve followed numerous ProMoto groups on Facebook since release. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I got a couple for the kids in the family for Christmas. Very fun day at the park with them. Stated in a grass field to feel them out. Ended the day launching them out of a retention ditch without one break. Kids from age 8 to 18. Very impressive.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I started in the RC hobby back in the early 80s, so I’ve had my share of all sorts of cars, planes & helicopters. I ride full size motorcycles, but none of the RC motorcycles ever seemed worth it to me, they didn’t look realistic enough. When the Promoto was announced last summer, I was very interested in it. My son was getting to the age where a faster car (we’d done crawlers for many years) was good to start, so we got some mini racers and began competing with them. My son wanted something to bash too, so I got him an Arrma Grom, which he loved (and also raced at our local track).

The Promoto was always in the back of my head though. We were at the local shop earlier today, getting a new body for his Mini T & someone else was picking up the Promoto. It was enough to push me, so I grabbed one and a spare battery. My son got out his Grom & I had the Promoto & we bashed them in our driveway and backyard today. This thing is an absolute blast. Doesn’t handle like a regular car, so you do need to plan for turns a bit more & balance the speed to keep it from getting stuck on the training wheels and going wide on pavement. In dirt, I’ve never laughed so much with an rc vehicle. At 100% on a steep hill it would wheelie over backwards rolling onto it’s wheels a few times, but a bit of well placed throttle & it was back on two wheels.

I’d love to get a race series of these going, they will crash as much as our local Grom series does, but who cares… it’s an absolute blast. Losi hit this one out of the park!
angrymelon likes this.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:08 PM
DJH
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Picked one of these up as a Xmas present to myself. Just waiting on the hop ups I ordered to arrive. Love all the YouTube videos on this. Looks so awesome running and racing.
still can’t get over how big and heavy it is.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bunch in stock at local Hobbytown. Has anyone tried sumo wheels and tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.