R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Super Glue for tires (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1111115-super-glue-tires.html)

DarthDad 03-27-2023 09:21 AM

Super Glue for tires

Need to glue up tires and unable to get to hobby shop in time. Assume I can use regular CA super glue from WalMart or hardware store. Recommendations on which works best?

Alexv2024 03-27-2023 09:36 AM

Anything Loctite brand should be good. I have "professional liquid" on my desk right now and use it interchangeably with rc brand glues on tires. I prefer it on shock towers vs my AKA glue since it dries nice and clear.

staiguy 03-27-2023 09:43 AM

It will work but isn't quite the best. The rc tire CA glue usually holds up to flexing better than regular CA glue. After a while of abuse, the glue may separate, may not. For bashing its fine, but if it were for racing, I'd wait

1995 Monster T 03-27-2023 09:54 AM

Thick ca is the best.

Cain 03-28-2023 06:26 AM

Personally I like the Bob Industries or similar Medium 5-10 sec glue . That has worked excellent on my 1/10 and 1/8 tires and doesnt' setup too fast.

petersen114 03-28-2023 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 (Post 15992473)
Anything Loctite brand should be good. I have "professional liquid" on my desk right now and use it interchangeably with rc brand glues on tires. I prefer it on shock towers vs my AKA glue since it dries nice and clear.

I second this.

billdelong 03-28-2023 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 (Post 15992473)

+1 for LOCTITE Professional which is a medium thickness and works well with 18GA glue tips

Many drivers in my area have recently switched to LOCTITE 406 which is a specially formulated to bond rubber to plastic but it's a thinner product and better used with 20GA tips:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZKQG3Y

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Henke.../dp/B072Q7CFYS

kufman 03-29-2023 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 15992680)
Personally I like the Bob Industries or similar Medium 5-10 sec glue . That has worked excellent on my 1/10 and 1/8 tires and doesnt' setup too fast.

Same here. Medium to start with and then thin to fill in. Make sure what ever you use is fresh. Super glue does age even if the bottle is never opened.

billdelong 03-29-2023 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by kufman (Post 15993004)
Same here. Medium to start with and then thin to fill in. Make sure what ever you use is fresh. Super glue does age even if the bottle is never opened.

This is kinda vague, and method of how the product has been stored is probably more important than age. For example the hobby shop at the track in my area used to store their CA glue right next to the door and after I bought a new bottle of CA it came out far thicker than normal where I felt it was "expired" ... not sure if the product sat too long or because they put it next to the door but I mentioned it to the owner and they have since moved it away from the door.

I recently got a bottle of 406 and it has a marked Mfg Date of 14-OCT-22 and Exp Date of 7-JAN-24

I now make it a point to shake the bottle to see how viscous the glue is before I buy it ;)

Silverbullet555 03-29-2023 12:02 PM

I'd use loctite professional if I couldn't get to a store. It was recommended to me by an AE team driver.

However, if I can, I always and only use proline tire glue. I've had issues with a few others and once glue fails it's all over. Carpet places a lot of stress on the glue beads. Other types or surfaces may not.

Adam007 03-29-2023 04:25 PM

I have been using cheap supermarket superglue for years.
It's the same thing, CA = Cyanoacrylate = Superglue.

The difference however is definitely in the viscosity of the glue (thickness) but I still find the supermarket stuff usable.

rhodopsine 03-29-2023 04:33 PM

I have used Gorilla brand CA with success to glue tires, both on and off road. Usually holds up very well. But then I think that cleaning the tire bead and rim correctly is probably more important than the glue brand you use.

Martin Paradis

Fast4Fun 03-31-2023 11:30 AM

I have recently started using Gorilla super glue with out a single failure since ! I’m sticking with it no pun intended

andrewcoley 03-31-2023 02:40 PM

I’ve been using trade spec superglue for years, way cheaper and works perfectly.

Wondow fitters (double glazing, where they glue the trims on after fitting frame) use different viscosity of glue in different temperatures.

Find any window fitting or decent hardware store and choose your preferred thickness.

I always go medium, hate the thin ‘pro’ stuff, just end up with glue everywhere 🤷‍♂️😂

Sir 51D3WAYS 04-01-2023 01:02 AM

Depending on what's available, ZAP CA, Bob Smith and even 3M Scotch brand (blue cap) have worked well IME.