Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Max Rackstraw
  • 1 Post By b.j.a
  • 1 Post By Max Rackstraw

New buggy... Associated or Schumacher?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 05:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New buggy... Associated or Schumacher?

I race exclusively on carpet medium grip and i am currently running an AE B6.2. I've found the car to be really nice and easy to drive and have been tweaking the setup over time to get more steering out of it.

Im looking at getting a new buggy and my first thought was the B6.4 as i am used to the associated, like the design and know how to get it to drive how i want it... however i recognize that the Schumacher cougar LD2 has been getting quite popular recently for my type of track.

I'd like to hear your opinions on whether i should upgrade to the B6.4 or switch platform to the LD2? Given that i race exclusively on med grip carpet and like the car to feel very on it and responsive with alot of steering.

Is it worth switching to the Schumacher or sticking to what i know?
Old 02-20-2023, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Do you have local parts support or do you want to stock your own hobby shop?
Is there anyone fast locally that races one that will help you with setup?

If the answer to either of those is no, go with the AE. If the answer is yes to both, then maybe try it.

Keep in mind much of the stuff you have for the .2 will work on a .4. However, some won't.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

LD2 with the Orlowski setup has tons of steering, I’m sure you could get the B6.4 the same, so it’s not like you can’t get to the same place with either car.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If your like me, it's more about the support of the local drivers or hobby shops. I have always had Associated R/C's because of the parts availability and lots of support.
I love my B6.4, but like i said, it's really all i know so i would say i'm partial.
If you know you can get parts and have others that can help you if needed, i wouldn't be against going with Schumacher. All the newer buggies are fast, just depends on who is driving them.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just got a Schumacher LD2 Stock Spec after years of racing Associated cars. The thing turns on a dime! It also jumps and lands well. If your local shop has parts support, give it a try. Otherwise you will be waiting on parts to ship.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
Do you have local parts support or do you want to stock your own hobby shop?
Is there anyone fast locally that races one that will help you with setup?

If the answer to either of those is no, go with the AE. If the answer is yes to both, then maybe try it.

Keep in mind much of the stuff you have for the .2 will work on a .4. However, some won't.
Yes the answer to both is yes. But i would also like my own model shop lmao.

I see the LD doing well at my track. But have parts and experience with thr b6.2 currently im feeling like sticking with AE and getting the b6.4 but... Part of me wants to be convinced on this Schumacher
Old 02-21-2023, 04:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad Daddy
I just got a Schumacher LD2 Stock Spec after years of racing Associated cars. The thing turns on a dime! It also jumps and lands well. If your local shop has parts support, give it a try. Otherwise you will be waiting on parts to ship.
My local shop only has toys and traxxas shite so im always waiting for deliveries for every brand i own... Thats nothing new lmao. I do know a few Schumacher sponsored drivers though who could help me out with parts
hunterdawg likes this.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RazorRC
LD2 with the Orlowski setup has tons of steering, I’m sure you could get the B6.4 the same, so it’s not like you can’t get to the same place with either car.
I know you have experience with alot of 1/10th 2wd buggies. Would you say the knowledge required to setup a b6 is applicable to setting up the LD2? Ive only had one 2wd buggy (B6.2) and ive learnt alot about setting it up. If thats transferable to the LD2 that makes me very interested in it. If not then it would be quite a set back learning all of it again. But if course i expect differences.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:36 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Max Rackstraw

I see the LD doing well at my track. But have parts and experience with thr b6.2 currently im feeling like sticking with AE and getting the b6.4 but... Part of me wants to be convinced on this Schumacher
with the variety of those at your track, have you got someone you can ask to test drive the car and ask them about the quirks of the platform at your track?

For us in the past we had 1 guy show up with a Schumacher and the car was stupid fast, but , not durable. I have heard this has improved, you having a first hand view of the cars, may be worth giving what i mentioned a go and then deciding.

Ultimately whatever you decide, figure out first what are deal breakers for you and go in at least with your eyes open and most of all have fun!
Old 02-21-2023, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Max Rackstraw

If you want the Schuey because it's fun and exciting I say just go for it. RC racing is a hobby so do what gets you most excited to get out there and race. If you get the car on the track and don't enjoy driving it, just sell it and get a B6.4 instead! It's all part of the fun to me.
HOTROD716 likes this.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

At my local track a few guys have tried Schumacher’s but always end up selling them because they break them all the time.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

If you like a lot of steering and don't hit things, the Schumacher is probably for you. Just a heads up that you'll want to budget about $200 for upgrading all the front end plastic to aluminum and getting the under servo brass and brass radio plate for running on carpet. My 8-year old son has been racing a LD2 on carpet since mid-December. He races in the novice class and hits a bunch of stuff. So far, we've replaced the plastic kickup/servo mount along with the top brace twice and two front arms on the car, in addition to a servo gear set. It could be worse. The fast guys that don't hit stuff are not having issues with them breaking at our track.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:47 PM
EJF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

I’ve had both and here is my thoughts

I feel more competitive with the LD2 and found pace faster than with the AE car, the Schumacher does need some additional parts for durability , IE aluminum caster blocks , titanium turnbuckles
The Schumacher feels more precise with more mid/ exit steering than the AE , also the transmission is more free on the Schumacher

if you tend to crash a lot then the AE is ore durable , plus parts are earlier to come by and cheaper
Old 02-22-2023, 03:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have made a decision but either way feels like a comprimise lol.

Im going with the B6.4. But this is because my dad will be running my older B6.2 and I'll want to be able to set it up similar to mine and share some of the parts we already own for the B6.2. Plus i had a really good experience with that B6.2.

The Schumacher is fast and different and I could drive it fast without crashing... But my track is tight and depending on whos in your races... People tend to get a bit... Well ontop of your car (even those you are lapping!) So there's that. But durability is definitely not putting me off the Schumacher. Parts availability and support is also great for the Schumacher where i am. So i am only going with the B6.4 because its what I know and it'll allow me and my dad to work together on the cars more than if they were completely different brands.

If I dont like the B6.4... you know what car i will have replace it put it that way.
ollie 45 likes this.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Both are great platform. Tons of steering on the LD2. B6.4 is easier to work on especially the front side. Cannot really go wrong with both.