Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Bit vs driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Bit vs driver

I'm going to purchase some new tools and trying to decide between buying a set of bits or the full driver. I don't currently own a power screwdriver/small drill, but I do have a nice ratcheting driver handle I've used with a cheap 2mm bit that has worn out. My thought would be I could use the bits with my ratcheting driver and add a powered driver later.

Other than the inconvenience of bit swapping, any reason to buy the full driver?
rustyus likes this.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I bought the following from Snap-On over 10 years ago and I still use them all the time. Highly recommended.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Some screws are difficult to access without a long, thin shank. Hence why I keep a set of full drivers as well.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Walmart sells cheap 1/4 driver hypertough for like 10-15$ I've been using one for a good year with mip speedbits. Its a must when doing full rebuilds.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I use the following set here:
https://www.hobao-usa.com/product/87337/

I have since replaced the 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 bits with higher quality bits from MIP, but everything else is original, in fact I still have the OFNA labeling on it when this used to be distributed by OFNA many years ago. It's very convenient to store a lot of bits in one small case. I have since removed much of the neoprene foam to fit several other tools inside the case such as the following tools for drilling pistons:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TCHKXW/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VUGJ43W/

Old 01-28-2023, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks to everyone who posted links. I need to get some new tools myself.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:55 AM
Tech Rookie

There are a few reasons to consider buying a full power screwdriver or small drill instead of just a set of bits.
  1. Convenience: A power screwdriver or drill eliminates the need to manually swap out bits, making the process of driving screws or drilling holes faster and easier.
  2. Power: A power tool will have more torque and power than a ratcheting driver handle, allowing you to more easily drive screws into hard materials or make larger holes.
  3. Versatility: A power tool can be used for a wide range of tasks beyond just driving screws, such as drilling holes, sanding, and even cutting.
  4. Cost: While a set of bits may be less expensive initially, over time you may end up spending more money on bits than you would have if you had purchased a power tool.
It's good that you have a ratcheting driver handle, it can be used with a variety of bits. However, it's better to consider buying a full driver if you find yourself frequently swapping out bits and if you have a lot of tasks that a power screwdriver or small drill would make easier.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just spend the money and get the best, which is MIP. If you’re trying to save some money, get MIP speed bits in 1.5 and 2.0, and drivers in 1.5 and 2.0. 2.5 and larger you can get by with cheap tools, but not with 2.0, and especially 1.5 (you’ll strip pinion set screws with cheap 1.5 drivers). Buy once; cry once.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

For bits I highly disagree with everyone selling MIP as the best, with no substitutes. Look into wera. Their stand alone hed drivers are amazing and they also sell very nice bits. Albeit some aren't as long as the MIP tools, but they are worth a look.

https://www.kctool.com/wera-059604-2...hex-power-bit/
Old 01-29-2023, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geo_ologist
For bits I highly disagree with everyone selling MIP as the best, with no substitutes. Look into wera. Their stand alone hed drivers are amazing and they also sell very nice bits. Albeit some aren't as long as the MIP tools, but they are worth a look.

The main issue is the inconsistency and the “gamble” you take going another direction. MIP is always tops in quality of materials and accuracy in dimensions. You might find another that works, but some of that has to do with luck in the over/under tolerances in machining. Example, here’s a 1.5mm cheap hex driver vs an MIP. Being 0.06mm off on larger sizes is perfectly fine, but on a 1.5mm hex, that’s 4%. That’s a stripped pinion set screw vs a tight one.Then in the materials, some are not hardened properly or at all, so you’ll have soft tools that round themselves off quickly, or a poor heat treatment where they’re hard, but too much so that they break off.
aracefan likes this.

Last edited by Corners; 01-29-2023 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Ive always had a powered 1/4 driver from my skill twist to a hammer head. they all have great use and value in ways they make the job faster and easier. I have 3 sets of mip bits. purchased a set of dewalt impacts bit ad did the ole caliper compare and there was minimal difference in sizes. Greatest was .01
Old 01-29-2023, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Corners
The main issue is the inconsistency and the “gamble” you take going another direction. MIP is always tops in quality of materials and accuracy in dimensions. You might find another that works, but some of that has to do with luck in the over/under tolerances in machining. Example, here’s a 1.5mm cheap hex driver vs an MIP. Being 0.06mm off on larger sizes is perfectly fine, but on a 1.5mm hex, that’s 4%. That’s a stripped pinion set screw vs a tight one.Then in the materials, some are not hardened properly or at all, so you’ll have soft tools that round themselves off quickly, or a poor heat treatment where they’re hard, but too much so that they break off.
True, but I've never had that issue with Wera.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Geo_ologist

Looked at some of their tools and they have 2 different drivers I found (besides the linked bits). One has a larger "full sized" grip like a normal screwdriver and the other a thinner skinny "electronics" version. Have you used either version?

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05118068...75&sr=8-2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftfor...s%2C175&sr=8-1
Old 01-30-2023, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the feedback. Good suggestions and discussions
Old 01-30-2023, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

My recommendation is to start out with a set of MIP Speed Tips. You can stick them in a handle to use like a regular driver. Use them without a handle if you need to get into a tight spot and torque isn't an issue, or put it into a power screwdriver. Tolerances are excellent and their tips will last way longer than inexpensive drivers. Between the versatility and the durability, they kinda pay for themselves. A set of 3 MIP Speed Tips will be a little less expensive than the set of 3 MIP drivers. It is a great way to try out MIP tools for yourself before going all-in if you decide to do so later.

At some point after buying the speed tips, try out an inexpensive power screw driver, like the Ryobi Tek4 (unfortunately they discontinued the version that had a clutch...so if you get one without a clutch you have to stop short of tight and finish tightening by hand). A power screwdriver is a big timesaver when you have more than a few screws to deal with, especially when they are longer screws, and it is fun zipping the screws out quickly compared to the not so fun activity of wrist twisting!

Once you start finding it cumbersome swapping tips in and out all the time, then it might be time to get a set of drivers as well. After experiencing the MIP Speed Tips...it might be hard to go back to something other than MIP! Once I started using the MIP Speed Tips, I no longer wanted to use my cheaper drivers because of the looser fit they had in the screw sockets compared to the MIP. I have heard good things about the Wera drivers and I did consider them...but after using the Speed Tips, the quality of MIPs tools was a know quantity to me at that point, so I eventually went and got the MIP drivers to replace my cheap ones.

Originally Posted by DarthDad
Looked at some of their tools and they have 2 different drivers I found (besides the linked bits). One has a larger "full sized" grip like a normal screwdriver and the other a thinner skinny "electronics" version. Have you used either version?
For drivers...I would go with a full size grip. More comfortable and more torque which can be needed in some instances.
Corners and rustyus like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.