• 1 Post By MrWesson
  • 3 Post By billdelong
  • 1 Post By 33Ozzy

4WD or 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 02:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 4WD or 2WD?

Do you guys prefer 4WD or 2WD 1/10 buggys for bashing or racing? What do you enjoy driving more?
Old 01-13-2023, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I prefer racing 2WD on astro/carpet. On dirt I preferred 4WD.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

4wd is better everywhere. But I understand 2wd is a popular class: for the longest time 4wd buggies were fragile, and 2wd does demand a higher skill level that can give you a sense of accomplishment when you drive it right.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2wd for simplicity/reliability.
4wd for any other reason.
PetRock likes this.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Most modern 4WD buggy designs have become considerably more durable than 2WD

I used to race both 2WD and 4WD... many people used to tell me "2WD makes you a better driver" and I found the exact opposite where my lap times were always faster with 4WD, plus 4WD was easier to drive and tires lasted longer on 4WD making 4WD considerably less expensive to maintain.

The ONLY advantages I believe 2WD has are longer run time and slightly less maintenance though tuning a ball diff on 2WD is very tricky where gear diffs on 4WD are fool proof to get a perfect tune after every rebuild.

If you are looking for a challenge with tuning/driving and can afford going through tires faster then go 2WD

If you just want to point and shoot, then go 4WD
PetRock, Lladnar and 33Ozzy like this.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:46 AM
Tech Rookie

I agree, my 4wd (B74.1 and .2) both run on rails with gear diffs and fairly limited maintenance and stay in the zone much longer. My 2wd (B6.4) with ball diff is a lot of fun but needs much more maintenance and is harder to find the sweet spot. Of course this could be my lack of experience so each to their own I guess?!

Paul
PetRock likes this.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on where you race, I guess. My 2WD buggies (astro/carpet versions) haven't had ball diffs in quite a while (out of the box).

Originally Posted by billdelong
many people used to tell me "2WD makes you a better driver" and I found the exact opposite where my lap times were always faster with 4WD, plus 4WD was easier to drive and tires lasted longer on 4WD making 4WD considerably less expensive to maintain.
I'd still say 2WD teaches you how to become a better driver, because you have to learn much finer throttle control, whereas 4WD (at least in comparison) is just "point and shoot". Nowhere have I ever heard that it will make you go faster in a 2WD than in a 4WD.. And while yes, rear tires on 2WD (especially in mod class) are worn out quite quickly, the fronts last very long, so I don't think 4WD is cheaper in that regard over all. It's just that a 2WD with worn tires becomes un-drivable at a certain point, while a 4WD only gets slower, but still controllable. Plus the whole drivetrain on a 4WD needs a lot more maintenance (but again, most people here run mod, not 13.5T)
Old 01-14-2023, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Great info, thanks for the input everyone!
Old 01-14-2023, 10:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It would depend upon the track you plan on racing at, my local track 4x4 is hit and miss, 2wd is always packed, tires are another “issue” 😂 local track we run slicks in 2wd, clay track.