• 1 Post By Cain
  • 1 Post By billdelong
  • 1 Post By egalsim

returning after 30 years...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 10:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default returning after 30 years...

I created this account 13 years ago (You last visited: 07-22-2009 at 11:59 PM) as I had planned to return to the hobby but life got in the way. I recently dug out my old cars and have decided now is the time to get back into it. After dusting off the box, I took a look at what would be needed to get them running again. The box contains: a very beat up Tamiya Blackfoot, a rolling chassis AYK Radiant, and a Team Losi JRXT (converted to a buggy so I could run in both categories) that I raced to some amount of success in the MD/DC area in 89-91. I also had a Kyosho Pegasus (my first car) which was stolen one evening from my back porch in 1987 I went thru the mechanicals of all three cars and ordered parts to fix the brittle and crumbling plastic on the Blackfoot and JRX. The Radiant needs very little, just a spring cup... finding one of those will probably be impossible so replacement shocks might be a good idea.

I decided to update the electronics in the Blackfoot and Radiant to have ECU and modern radios, the JRX will just get a modern receiver, it has a Novak vintage ECU. I went with the Radiolink RC4GS V3 for the cost since I do not plan to race and can add inexpensive receivers as I expand my collection. I'm using brushed motors and NIMH batteries (my NICADs are all trash).

I also ordered a Kyosho Turbo Optima Gold (dream car) and now I'm looking for a runner as my primary car rather than bash vintage and re-re stuff.

I'm looking for 2WD and 4WD kits that have good support but don't require spending more than the car to get improved performance. I'm only interested in kits, for me large part of the interest is in the building the car. The Tamiya TT-02-B and DT03 platforms have caught my eye as they are inexpensive and have good aftermarket support. The TT-02-B can get spendy, but if just adding bearings and some drive line upgrades the cost isn't too bad. I haven't dug too deep into the DT03 platform yet. I have no plans to race, just to run in the park or on the trails nearby.

Are these two platforms too budget given my history with the JRX and the Radiant? Will I be disappointed in the TT-02-B platform compared to the Turbo Optima? Is there a step up in 2WD and 4WD platforms from Tamiya or some other manufacturer that is not too spendy?

Glad to be returning to the hobby. It lets me scratch the building and electronics tinkering itch while also putting a huge freakin smile on my face when running the cars.
LiL CeeZ likes this.

Last edited by asciibaron; 11-01-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

If you are looking at driving the 2wd buggy at a track (or the 4wd) in the US Losi, Associated, Tekno are the "go to 1/10th platforms. There are some others, there is very little Tamiya off road cars at RC tracks in the US (they are prevalent in the on-road scene and for bashing). You ran the old losi "vintage" stuff, take a look at their current offerings.

Any RC car is fun. Go with what draws your interest.

Welcome back (its a whole new world with Brushless motors, and 2.4 radios and LIPO's. No more "someones on my frequency" and the Lipos/Brushless get you 10-15 minutes of run time, not the "i hope I can get 4-1/2 minutes).

Old 11-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Welcome back! I've been back for a year now and have loved every minute!

I would take a step back and find a track. Then see what they are running there. People will help with tire choices and setups. Let what they are running help to inform you - and then get a Tekno anyway!
Old 11-02-2022, 07:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. At this time, I'm not interested in racing or going to a track... I want something to take to the park and to run on the trails that are a 5 minute walk from my house. I help maintain a series of forest trails for hiking and biking and an RC car would be very fun in the "jumps" sections of the trails. The TT-02-B and the DT-03 platforms appear to be solid budget friendly platforms and offer some upgrade options. I'm leaning toward a TT-02-B with bearings and an aluminum drive shaft.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:29 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

asciibaron likes this.

Last edited by DRTMI; 11-09-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

For a budget friendly basher kit that is fairly durable and won't require expensive upgrades, look no further than ECX which offers a BTD (Build To Drive) kit with everything you need in 1 box:
Amazon Amazon

Solid parts support from Horizon and many HobbyTownUSA shops:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?...=&lang=default
asciibaron likes this.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luxin
Welcome back! I've been back for a year now and have loved every minute!

I would take a step back and find a track. Then see what they are running there. People will help with tire choices and setups. Let what they are running help to inform you - and then get a Tekno anyway!
Excellent recommendation.
I would also look in the for sale forum and check out the current used prices and deal with a high trader rating like Luxin
Old 11-03-2022, 10:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by asciibaron
I'm leaning toward a TT-02-B with bearings and an aluminum drive shaft.
I think you'll be disappointed running one of these at a Jump Park. Probably OK for having a burn around offroad on some small jumps. The DF03 will have better ground clearance.

Modern "Bashers" for Jump Parks are way beyond these basic Tamiya buggies.

Last edited by Quick Marshall; 11-04-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Traxxas sounds like what you're looking for. Parts support is phenomenal and they hold up to abuse well. They come ready to run but you can wrench on them yourself just like a kit and they're probably the best bashers on the market. You'll be amazed throwing a lipo in one vs what you're used to driving from yester-year. There's tons of hop ups available or u can stay completely stock and it will outperform the Blackfoot and the JRXT by a country mile.

Glad to see you back in the fold, keep us updated on which route you decide to take. Good luck
Old 11-09-2022, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have a look at the ARRMA lineup, you should find something that fits your budget there.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Associated RB10. Good quality, aluminum shocks, play-friendly rear-motor configuration. 2wd to build your driving ability.

For a 4wd short-course basher, the Arrma Senton seems like a great choice. Or maybe the Losi Hammer Rey, If you want more scale realism with the live rear axle. Looks like a lot of fun.

Only problem is that there are no kit versions. Solution: have your shop/ someone else/ yourself disassemble it so that you can build it yourself. There just aren't many sub-elite-level kits out there anymore.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asciibaron
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. At this time, I'm not interested in racing or going to a track... I want something to take to the park and to run on the trails that are a 5 minute walk from my house. I help maintain a series of forest trails for hiking and biking and an RC car would be very fun in the "jumps" sections of the trails. The TT-02-B and the DT-03 platforms appear to be solid budget friendly platforms and offer some upgrade options. I'm leaning toward a TT-02-B with bearings and an aluminum drive shaft.
A used electric 1/8 buggy would be great for that stuff. if you want to stick to 1/10 to bash with, I would go with the Losi Tenacity DB. All the new modern 4wd buggies are basically made for on road carpet with jumps, and they're all butt ugly.
Davidka likes this.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Welcome back! I used to race at Off-road Headquarters and Doug’s Hobbies in Waldorf in those days. We probably crossed paths.

For the park use you’re describing I think you’re going to have more fun with something that has larger diameter wheels, like putting stadium truck wheels/tires back on that JRX-T or a newer short course truck . The bigger wheels will do much better on ungroomed surfaces like those trails. 4wd makes them much easier to drive too. The 1/8 e-buggy suggestion is a good one.