Search
Like Tree43Likes

OCRC

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by billdelong
confirmed the tires I bought are on the list
Curious on what tire and compound you got, Bill?
Old 09-17-2022, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
Curious on what tire and compound you got, Bill?
I'm currently running RawSpeed tires and mounted up some clay compounds (Radar and Rip Tide) I plan try to ghost the Rip Tides with lots of practice to see if they get faster as they break in, if they taper off, then I'll run fresh Radars for the mains.

Years ago when I raced on a dry glue sealed surface, I was used to running a fresh set for the mains with sauce and they usually broke in after a couple laps of warmup, then they typically got slower for subsequent runs which would use the following race days for quals, and then run a fresh set for mains... so a set of tires lasted only 1 race day combined on that type of track surface. I look forward to seeing how wet clay reacts
Old 09-18-2022, 01:27 AM
Tech Addict

I'm currently running RawSpeed tires and mounted up some clay compounds (Radar and Rip Tide) I plan try to ghost the Rip Tides with lots of practice to see if they get faster as they break in, if they taper off, then I'll run fresh Radars for the mains.

Years ago when I raced on a dry glue sealed surface, I was used to running a fresh set for the mains with sauce and they usually broke in after a couple laps of warmup, then they typically got slower for subsequent runs which would use the following race days for quals, and then run a fresh set for mains... so a set of tires lasted only 1 race day combined on that type of track surface. I look forward to seeing how wet clay reacts
SDRC has a pretty good surface, grip wise. Not abrasive like Hobby Action. Very similar to OCRC dirt in many ways. They also run a Mister System similar to OCRC, and keep things pretty well regulated.
It can be a little dusty off line if the track isnt being well groomed/maintained, and/or there are a lot of people running in practice or a lot of heats where the surface cant quite recover and dusts up. There is also some irregularity to the surface in the way they groom it. Hard to describe, but you will see what i mean. Its not billiard table flat.
Tire wise, I think you will find that a slicker tire will give you a lot more traction than a treaded one on the racing line. I would even suggest getting yourself a pair of Raw Speed Slicks once you get there as a back up, so you can just switch over and go when the grip levels come up.

For Sauce, i am a big fan of TDK Gen 2. Washing with Simple Green in between runs. Saucing 5ish minutes prior to the heat, so that by the time the heat starts there is just a hint of moisture on the surface of the tire.
RawSpeed's also do well with Yellow Liquid Wrench as well. I also suggest some Nitrile Gloves to use when saucing. It just makes it a bit more sanitary.

Keep us updated on how you go!
Old 09-19-2022, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

SDRC has a pretty good surface, grip wise. Not abrasive like Hobby Action. Very similar to OCRC dirt in many ways. They also run a Mister System similar to OCRC, and keep things pretty well regulated.
It can be a little dusty off line if the track isnt being well groomed/maintained, and/or there are a lot of people running in practice or a lot of heats where the surface cant quite recover and dusts up. There is also some irregularity to the surface in the way they groom it. Hard to describe, but you will see what i mean. Its not billiard table flat.
Tire wise, I think you will find that a slicker tire will give you a lot more traction than a treaded one on the racing line. I would even suggest getting yourself a pair of Raw Speed Slicks once you get there as a back up, so you can just switch over and go when the grip levels come up.

For Sauce, i am a big fan of TDK Gen 2. Washing with Simple Green in between runs. Saucing 5ish minutes prior to the heat, so that by the time the heat starts there is just a hint of moisture on the surface of the tire.
RawSpeed's also do well with Yellow Liquid Wrench as well. I also suggest some Nitrile Gloves to use when saucing. It just makes it a bit more sanitary.

Great advice, this is exactly what I was looking for, I'll get a set of slicks to play it safe, never ran slicks anywhere yet, so looking forward to see what that's like, thanks!
Old 09-20-2022, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm gonna start hitting SDRC on Sunday's pretty soon, can I ask you for some recommendations on tires/compounds to run? I'm gonna run 2WD 17.5 Buggy and 2WD 13.5 SCT.

Somebody at another track mentioned to me that they are running a spec tire compound there?
Old 09-20-2022, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

J concepts Smoothie 2 silver compound are most popular Sdrc. Most likely any slick tire in clay compound will work Sdrc.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCRAFAN
Sorry think this was Coyote Hobbies not SDRC

Yes it is Coyote that now has started using glue to seal its tracks surface. They had unbelievable traction before and now it's even better. Also the added benefit of your car staying clean. It's really amazing.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

I've been having a blast at SDRC!

You were spot on with slicks being the best, and I'm fairly competitive with the Raw Speed Clay Slicks and Joel Navarro had me running PB Blaster for sauce. My setup was off last Wed so I ran with the intermediate drivers, I qualified 2nd and while I was slower than Toby, my consistency was able to help me take the win (if I had ran with expert group this night I would've finished 2nd behind Joel based on my time):

I went back to race this Monday and ran with the Expert group after making some setup changes to pick up a little more speed, Chris was running a 5.5T mod motor so I didn't have anything on him, in fact I was the second slowest driver in the group but my consistency would pay off again and took the win against the 13.5T drivers, phew!

I plan to go back and race one last time tonight and have made a couple more setup changes to hopefully get a little closer to the same hot laps with the rest of the group (fingers crossed), I think some faster drivers are planning to show up tonight so I'll be doing good just to place, ha!

All I can say is that SDRC is an amazing place to race!
HOTROD716 likes this.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Thats awesome, Bill! I am glad you are having a blast out there, and getting into the sauce game, and getting a feel for the slicks. SDRC is a great place to run, and i am glad you got a chance to spend some time there enjoying some quality racing.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

I was fortunate to get plenty of practice time on the track to test my setup changes and have updated my notes here so I know what worked well for me the next time I go back to SoCal:

Bill's Setup

We had a lot of close battles on the track, it was anyone's chance to win across the entire field as we were all very closely matched in skill, and my hat goes off to Wyatt who got into me on a corner and waited for me to get marshaled and gave the position back to me as we set the pace for the main. I took a last minute risk by adding 1mm of ride height to the rear and that seemed to get my lap times on pace with the group and was able to put up a good battle for the win, woo hoo! None of us are pro level drivers, but man it sure was fun to have so much close racing like that!

Old 10-17-2022, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Oh man, just missed that 13th lap!
Great to see the tight racing in the middle of the pack. One second apart from 4th, 5th, and 6th.
Glad you had a great time at SDRC, Bill, and hopefully we will see you out at Hobby Action soon!

Speaking of Hobby Action, Nick Black came out and did the track build for the Kinwald Klassic. Great to catch up with him and dig in some dirt together. Also been super fun driving on what feels like an OCRC track. Even Matthew Williby commented that he had driven this track a hundred times before, because of the familiar feel of the elements. Going to be a little sad to tear this layup out to redo it for INS12 in December.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Funny you mention that, I was able to make 13 laps in the second qualifier, that was my main goal for the day, especially because I was the only driver doing a double-single where everyone else was doing the triple, many drivers were getting at least 1 wreck with the triple that I found consistency was more valuable, only reason my consistency wasn't as high during the main was because I attempted to clear the triple in fear of someone landing on top of me doing the double-single and that's when I wrecked, then went back to double-singling the rest of the race to take the win, ha!

One of these trips, I'll make it a point to race at Hobby Action on my way out and back to SDRC, I can see us doing this at least once a year maybe twice!
Old 10-17-2022, 12:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

So no news about a new indoor track?
Old 10-17-2022, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
So no news about a new indoor track?
nope, not going to happen any time soon.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Funny you mention that, I was able to make 13 laps in the second qualifier, that was my main goal for the day, especially because I was the only driver doing a double-single where everyone else was doing the triple, many drivers were getting at least 1 wreck with the triple that I found consistency was more valuable, only reason my consistency wasn't as high during the main was because I attempted to clear the triple in fear of someone landing on top of me doing the double-single and that's when I wrecked, then went back to double-singling the rest of the race to take the win, ha!

One of these trips, I'll make it a point to race at Hobby Action on my way out and back to SDRC, I can see us doing this at least once a year maybe twice!

I totally get that. On the current layout here at HA, we have a step up table top, into a 90 degree turn, and step off. It is very tricky. To nail it, you basically have to bounce the car on and off a car sized landing platform right at the apex of the corner, at the very edge of the table top. There is a "safe" line about one car width over that you can land and hop off of somewhat consistently, but if you miss that spot, the car lands weird, and wont step off cleanly, causing spins. You can also land straight, turn wide, hope you get grip and/or traction to accelerate off, but if you miss the grip, that usually means spinning out, or rolling the car over the pipe. And if you screw up, marshalling is hard because there are other cars jumping up, your right against the driver stand wall, so you may be there a while. And if you go short and end up int he pit before the step up, you are basically going to the back of the pack.

Or you can simply roll it.

It was easily the hardest part of the track to get right. And in a couple of the lower mains, the winner rolled that jump on every lap, for the exact same reasons you mentioned. And i can say for myself that a couple of my runs were totally ruined by "going for it". Either by my own hand, or landing on top of someone else, just like you were worried about there. So, yeah, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.