Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

very true...alum is pretty but not always better...most tracks are rough...and if a plastic brace will keep the car alive...ie not letting the gear lash bind...breaking either a clutch bell,the bearings or the spur...or other bad things...then maybe a plastic is better...if the one on the losi is alum...someone will make a plastic one...

also the chassis is only a tool that a driver uses...and with other tools...the quality affects the work...the better the tool the better the results...but the chassis will only be as good as the driver...also different people like different things...some love a stiff chassis...some love flex...if you can back side jumps and never have a crazy landing...then you can run a very flexable chassis...
Old 05-21-2006, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Whilst moulded components have improved over the years, it still isn't possible to make them with the same degree of precision as machined components. Tolerances can be set to a much finer degree of accuracy with billet alloy components because there are no shrinkage or bubble related issues to deal with. This is why bearing housings, bulkheads and rotating parts on touring cars (but also other classes as well) have increasingly seen the extensive use of machined alloy for their construction, on both shaft and belt driven cars - more efficent, free-er drive train.

However, modern composite materials can out-perform alloys in other ways.

I've added some useful charts to show the characteristics of numerous materials. As you can see, there wide variations, even among materials of the same family. But what it really highlights are important qualities such as strength, toughness, flexibility and density. It's interesting stuff. Material choice is no less important than proper design.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight Pics-e-rho_metals.jpg   Losi 8ight Pics-str-tough_metals.jpg  
Old 05-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
A $600 car with a $300 motor and $200 worth of electronics and you guys are bickering about a $25 screw kit and a few new tools?

This is awesome.

Priceless!!!! LMAO

Brant
Old 05-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by POOKYT
Priceless!!!! LMAO

Brant
Try to keep up...it's not about $25 worth of screws...it's about tools (WAY more than $25), bearings (10-15 or more, especially if this is the only buggy that runs them...), shims (same, 10-15), screws (carrying another screw set around), parts availability (Will your shop stock all the little stuff you need? How about the racers at your track?).

IMO, the half metric/half SAE stuff is silly. These things chew up bearings and screws when they get raced...you may think it's fine, good for you. It seems to me like like they use some SAE stuff just to make a point and maybe to make a few more bucks.

If you don't agree with me that it's a pain, either state your case or shut your yap.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-21-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Try to keep up...it's not about $25 worth of screws...it's about tools (WAY more than $25), bearings (10-15 or more, especially if this is the only buggy that runs them...), shims (same), screws (carrying another screw set around), parts availability (Will your shop stock all the little stuff you need? How about the racers at your track?).

IMO, the half metric/half SAE stuff is silly. These things chew up bearings and screws when they get raced...you may think it's fine, good for you. It seems to me like like they use some SAE stuff just to make a point and maybe to make a few more bucks.

If you don't agree with me that it's a pain, either state your case or shut your yap.
Joe--Sorry to touch on such a delicate subject. I spent an hour or so reading through the thread. For the current nitro guys I guess it will be a pain. For those like myself, it will be wonderfull. Go from a BK1 to a BK2 and you will need new parts. Same for all the other manufacturers. I really do understand what your saying about having a box full of parts and now looking at something completely different. I'm on the other side with a box full of SAE stuff plus tools. Also, in my circumstance, I try my best to get my hands on the newest and greatest which from time to time means low part support. I currently am the only full time racer at our track with a JRXS and I new this going in so I made sure and keep the most likely spares in the box. All the other dudes run the X-Ray. Unless I need a motor screw from them I am SOL! I guess my point of view is that if Losi would have followed the other sheep and just sort of changed a few parts or added a new deck on current designs then slapped on some LOSI stickers, I would have felt cheated. Over and over I heard that LOSI was in the works on this 1/8th buggy and I had my fingers crossed for months hopeing it was not just a hopped up Mayhem! I hope you give the Losi a try and I am sorry about some of the nitro racers haveing to expand their tool selection. I too have put off buying those metric tools for some of the same reasons. I still borrow what I need when I run the TCS races once or twice a year. Good Luck!.....Debate On!!

P.S. Yap is shut J/K

Brant
Old 05-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Origionally I had heard the release date as July 31 BUT someone at the LHS today mentioned the date was actually July 16th. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by POOKYT
P.S. Yap is shut J/K

Brant
No problem...I don't have an issue with someone with a different opinion...but I didn't ask the question to start a feces-flinging contest. Losi make some cool stuff and they're not afraid to think outside the box. The thing is that this hobby is metric...so are Losi cars...at least some of each of them is.

I don't think it would diminish their creativity or makes them less unique if they used industry-standard hardware, rather than a combination of the two.

Besides...you don't have to shut your yap now...you stated your case just fine.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks!

In the GRAND SCHEME of things, I had hoped since my elementary school days, that by now the world would be on 1 system. I wonder why the rest of the globe will not jump on board with us? LOL

Brant
Old 05-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SDakotaRacer
Origionally I had heard the release date as July 31 BUT someone at the LHS today mentioned the date was actually July 16th. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks!

horizon hobbies has it listed as mid august.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...m=8ight&CatId=
Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think you're going to see the release date fluctuate a bit back and forth since we're still 2 months or so away from a release date. I know everyone wants to hear "it will be on your hobbyshop shelve on such and such date" but lets give them a bit more time.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Lightbulb Formal request to Losi......

Please-----Take the time to release a part list for the local LHS. You guys are breaking the norm by going SAE on 1/8 scale buggies.
The reason I'm asking for the parts list is to allow the shop to have parts in stock when the customers buy their kits. They will already have alot of questions. If we can't answer them then I'm affraid the kits will sit on the shelves.
You are eventually going to do this anyway. When the LHS gets the kits, the first thing they will do it take the parts list out and order the parts.

Please go ahead and do this ahead of time. We can get all the screws, shims.... in stock that is going to out of the norm for our regular 1/8th customers.
It would help to have the diagrams as well.

I personally feel this will help move this buggy out the door.
TEX

T&T Hobbies - Plano, TX
Old 05-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I think you're going to see the release date fluctuate a bit back and forth since we're still 2 months or so away from a release date. I know everyone wants to hear "it will be on your hobbyshop shelve on such and such date" but lets give them a bit more time.
What's up Matt? Are you back from Korea? I see you run for Losi now, no more Yoke I guess Are you or will you be running 1/8 offroad? Did you get your 8 yet?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Try to keep up...it's not about $25 worth of screws...it's about tools (WAY more than $25), bearings (10-15 or more, especially if this is the only buggy that runs them...), shims (same, 10-15), screws (carrying another screw set around), parts availability (Will your shop stock all the little stuff you need? How about the racers at your track?).

Tools way more than $25? So another $20 is going to break the bank for you?

How in god's name can you spend 10-$15 on shims? I got 2 packs from ofna, and that covers more than what I really need 100 fold, for 5 bucks!

Bearings, not like you won't spend that much on bearings for a 1/10 scale right? Avid has really good prices on bearings, 16 yellow revo's for $20, not too shabby when you consider its $17 for just 4 boca green seals!

I carry two screw sets around too, I use a big permanent marker to write on one case metric and the other SAE, not that hard to do.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

speaking of tools...the biggest thing i loved about the FK05 from XRAY was that most screws were the same size...2 mil...not that it was metric or standard but the same...that means thet your toolbox is not full of both...20-25 will not break most peoples bank...but when you are talking someone switching over from another 1/8 kit that uses the same bearings as the rest of the group then you will need spares of everything thats different...that can get upwards of $100...add that to the shelf price and you can get most of the other kits for less...

i just dont see why Losi would mix the 2...go one way or the other...but not both...

Tony's screws will fix the screw issue...but i dont know when...but someone will make metric hubs for it...how much will they cost is another mystery too...but that should and could put lots of convience in this buggy...
Old 05-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by o.s. power
How in god's name can you spend 10-$15 on shims? I got 2 packs from ofna, and that covers more than what I really need 100 fold, for 5 bucks!
Seems those Ofna ones won't work, so throw out those $5 ones and then have to buy a new set of at least $5, but since no major RC company uses large size shims yet, those might be more money than the normal high demand Ofna ones you speak of.

But who knows they could go all LST1/2 on the people and use SAE Screws, nuts, and washers, but Metric Bearings. I guess we are stuck only to wait and see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.