Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Of course...I am the propaganda machine...I keep posting on this thread, then all of you keep posting! hahaha

Groffball - I can understand that. I have no idea what their plans are for trim level of the kit, or even the price of the kit.

1 xtreme rc - Your question pretty much got answered. I'm not sure it will be feasible to do a conversion kit for the LST into the truggy.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisP
The choice of SAE hardware may be more of a hindrance than you hope...
1/8 buggy is a class that is growing worldwide in popularity. SAE hardware is in limited supply outside of the US. The 1:1 scale automakers even realise this and use metric hardware on the majority of their cars and on their internal assembly equipment.

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
ChrisP - I understand that SAE hardware may hinder sales overseas..and I'm sure Losi understands that too. But it was their decision and they did it.

Originally Posted by tex1
IMO - I think not going Metric is a big marketing mistake. It will limit Losi's ability to penetrate a market that is both worldwide and vastly saturated with many manufacturers. You guys need your ducks in a row on this one. It is not only the screws in the car the new user can no longer use but the headache of conversions with availablility and tools also need to be considered.

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I think we're all hoping that the race results will speak for themselves with the 8ight. Losi's race cars up to this point have always used SAE hardware and are sold around the world..and in my opinion, I think it's kinda cool that the first U.S. made 1/8th scale will be the first to use SAE hardware as well. Time will tell if it was a marketing disaster or a good idea...it's unfair to assume either at this point.

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Plus come on....
One call to Tony's Screws or other hardware outlets will come out with kits for the 8ight within a month so when you are getting frustrate with the SAE screws they will have choices in metric screw kits.
-Shookie <><
RIGHT ON Mr Shookie ... Call Tony's Screws.....LOL

I've had a screw kit available for every new 1/8th scale buggy or truggy before its even hit the hobby shop shelves.

I'll do everything in my power to get a screw kit done for the new Losi Buggy before its available as well. SAE screws are not a problem and readily available. The SAE screws I sell are actually stronger than the Grade 12.9 Metric screws that I sell (they have a higher rated tensile strength). My guess is that most of the screws on this buggy will be 6-32 or 8-32. 6-32 is almost identical to 3.5mm. The 4-40 screws are thinner than 3mm, but I'd imagine the use of 4-40 screws will be limited on the Losi buggy.

The only issue I see with SAE screws is that some folks aren't good with fractions ...LOL When my wife gets done putting together Losi or AE screw kits, I always have to re-organize all the SAE screw bins....hahaha Metrics are much easier to distinguish sizes since they are in numerical order. As for tools, you'll only need a few hex drivers (maybe 3 or 4) and one or two nutdrivers. Considering most of us drop three or four bills on a motor and two or three on a pair of servos, $30-40 worth of tools is nothing.

As for the buggy, I'm really impressed with the ingenuity Losi came up with on the rear diff and offset pinion gear. The motor is closer to center and the spur gear is on the front of the center diff. The rear drive shaft is in line with the offset center diff, but the front drive shaft is on an extreme angle. My guess is that they couldn't offset the front diff like the rear because the pinion would have to be on the opposite side, which would make the angle even worse. The front steering would probably also limit the location as well. But I'm sure Losi has tested this design and made it work. It may take different center diff oils than we're used to using on 1/8th scales, but I see no reason for it impeding the performance (just think of the extreme angles the drive shafts at all four corners take with the suspension constantly moving. At least the centers are fixed). The only issue may be the front diff or drive cups may wear quicker than the rear. They've also moved a few other things around on the car to really center the weight.

I'm all for new ideas and appreciate what Losi has done with this car. I'm a tinkerer myself. Being married with three kids I have more time to wrench and play around the house than I do to get out and race. Perhaps the ideas Losi has incorporated into this car will change the 1/8th scale class as we know it. If you look at all the top buggies out there, they're all very similar to one another. No one has really tried to think outside the box. They always fall back to the old 7.5 design. Thunder Tiger tried last year with the S3's extruded chassis and front shock placement, but like Aaron said, our current suspension systems are no where near the level of taking advantage of a more rigid chassis. Nor do I think they ever will be as the shocks alone would cost as much as today's buggies. There are so many ways we can improve the current machines. I hope this Losi buggy gets those improvements rolling.

All I know is I can't wait to see how Drake does with this new car. You can bet that if you see he's running it publicly at a big race, they've already tested and ran it enough to know it's a winner. Let the race begin
Old 04-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

I hope it goes as fast as it looks...:-)
Old 04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

LOL
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Modest expectations...
Old 04-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Tech Adept

The thing that I like about this buggy is that the chassis is very narrow if compared to other buggies. Offset rear drive shaft itself can't make a chassis that narrow.

Pay attention at the center diff. Losi has turn the center diff 180 deg, so that the spur gear is at the front not on the back of the center diff. This way, Losi has a few extra mm of space to squeeze the throtle servo more toward the center line of the chassis. Nice...

What makes me wonder is how the manage to get clearance between the engine and the center diff mount.

Nice car...can't wait to drive one.

A.W
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by BSchorr
Plastic Shock Towers, Hrmmmm interesting
They willl be aluminum shock towers. Those were just mocked up towers made on our rapid prototyping machine at TL.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:41 AM
TLRacing

There are a lot more other features that we did not release with our press release at the 2006 Team Losi Offroad Championships. I guess if you look hard enough you may find some of them. Other items you simply will not be able to find.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Todd - Car looks very cool! Are you going to wheel that thing?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisWolfson
He'll have to, another class that he be punched out of his mind ..........

and not dump

BTW on the metric tools what are we talking a 3/32 an 050 and a nut driver? I highly doubt 30 dollars worth of tools is make or break this car.

I can't wait for mine
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink Hey Todd.

Any Idea when my shop can order their parts and kits.
Hint - Send a part list before you make the kits available. Have them ready so the shops can order them for stock when the expect their first kits.
It is a bummer to get a new kit, race it to the a-main and have to go home because you don't have one simple part for the next two weeks.

You guys have your own SLS machine in house??? I'm jealous!
TEX
Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I heard that Losi was coming out with a 2WD version or something nitro thats 2WD.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:17 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by ChrisWolfson

Of course....just at the club level. I have no time to do the big races with it.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i bet this thing will run up front no problem, that is untill AE makes one

hehe
Old 04-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

I got to see the buggy today for the first time...spent as much time as I wanted to looking at the running car we had at the track today, plus another car that wasn't completely assembled, so you could see a lot more stuff in detail.

Peanut and The Drake ran a LOT of laps today (under the eye of Gil Losi Jr. himself). From seeing the car run first-hand, let me tell ya...basically everything you guys have second-guessed about this car, you have no reason to worry about. It looks FANTASTIC going around the track.

I'm STILL giddy about the car...it's that cool!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.