• 1 Post By Silverbullet555
  • 1 Post By the incubus

Bump stops on shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Bump stops on shocks?

What is the effect on handling? My chassis slaps on one big jump , was thinking of trying some orings on the shafts. will it affect any other aspect of the car?
Old 04-25-2021, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Aside from limiting travel, it won't. I've used sections of nitro fuel tubing instead of o rings but either should work.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Whether the chassis hits or the shocks hit a stop, it'll likely feel similar. Perhaps better with the bump stops. If you need more pogression on your damping, bring the tops of your shocks in and put the bottoms out. You might find that helps a bit. Thicker pistons increase pack and may help too. Heavier shock oil will provide more dampening and may assist.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

depending on the track condition, they can make a dramatic improvement in performance where the shock cushions can allow you to use lower viscosity fluids to get more traction and then let the shock cushions absorb the impact for larger jumps... Team Thornhill sells both 1/10 and 1/8 cushions so be sure to select the appropriate size for your application:

https://www.teamthornhillrc.com/shock-cushions.html
Old 04-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Yes I ordered the red ones from team Thornhill so I'll try them out my buggy handles so perfectly I don't want to upset the balance by changing shock oils or springs I've tried moving the shocks in but still wasn't enough right now the buggy is so well balanced and rotates so beautifully it's only an issue on one huge triple all the other jumps it is fine and I can control the car in the air so it lands slightly nose down to avoid The slap I'll report back after I put the bump stops on thanks
Old 04-26-2021, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Take your time setting the bump stops... it's a very time consuming process.... basically you need to remove the shock boots so you can get an idea of the height of spacers you will need.... place a 5mm ride height gauge under the chassis and measure the length of exposed shock shaft... that's roughly how much bump stop you will need and depending on the style of shock boot, you may need to install the bump stops underneath the shock boots or cut the sleeve of the shock boot to prevent binding on the bump stops.

Good Luck!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The best shocks I've ever had the pleasure of working with are the Durango shocks, and their bumpers at the bottom were phenomenal.
So much so I put them on all my cars.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-du...230004/p202320
you can see them on the far right there.

To date the DEX410 is the best 4WD car I've ever driven and I've driven them all, and the narrow chassis design and low center of gravity
coupled with ALL the excellent upgrade options offered by several manufacturers allowed you to get it glued to the ground. The precision
of its components also made it so superb because when you made adjustments you weren't making them based on the current position of
components, only to have the car behave differently once it's moved and the suspension compresses. On the DEX410 the lack of play
assured adjustments were precise and accurate.

I still have mine along with a decent amount of parts ready for my son to race it once this pandemic is eradicated and I can get back to
working full-time. But once this lot of parts is gone, it will sadly have to be retired.

Durango's biggest issue was never spending the money to sign the best drivers, but their cars were so good, especially the DEX410,
that literally every single modern day car has borrowed from it in some way, and some shamelessly copied it to a T and sell it as their
own branded car, with the only difference being in how they retooled it visually.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I run bump stops (just some soft Shock O-rings) in the back of my RB5 Vega. I do it though to limit their up travel so the Diff Out-Drives dont get slammed by the Dog bones.