Old 03-18-2021, 08:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Question

I need to replace this motor with something better for a custom project:

Google:

rs 380 ph pdf

(can't post links yet)

Is this motor a standard RC size?

Can I walk into any hobby shop and find a direct swap with better performance?

Can I go brushless. Non serviceable brushed motors are pretty much retarded in this day and age.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

the "380" size motor is common in 1/14, 1/16, and 1/18 scale RC cars. Hobby shops should have some on the shelf. There are plenty of brushless motors in this size, but you need an ESC that is compatable with brushless (most brushed esc's have a red and black wire to the motor, brushless RC motors have 3 motor wires. You need all 3 brushless wires connected properly for the motor to work as expected.
Rcdad42 and 909 like this.

Last edited by TimF; 03-19-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks bro. Good first reply.

How would I wire a brushless motor in a simple circuit ( battery - switch - motor ) using the third wire to get full speed all the time.

The goal is to not increase rpm too much but add a lot more torque. Any recommendations ?

Here are some more specs of the current motor:

1.Brand: MABUCHI MOTOR
2.Model: RS-360SH-3560
3.Motor diameter: 27.4mm
4.Motor height: 32.3mm
5.Output shaft diameter: 2.28mm
6.Output shaft length: 9.35mm
7.Weight: 55g
8.Test data
Voltage:3V Speed:6300RPM No-load current:0.37A
Voltage:6V Speed:12600RPM No-load current:0.44A
Voltage:9V Speed:19000RPM No-load current:0.52A
Old 03-19-2021, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimF
the "380" size motor is common in 1/14, 1/16, and 1/8 scale RC cars. Hobby shops should have some on the shelf. There are plenty of brushless motors in this size, but you need an ESC that is compatable with brushless (most brushed esc's have a red and black wire to the motor, brushless RC motors have 3 motor wires. You need all 3 brushless wires connected properly for the motor to work as expected.
To the OP Tim F means 1/18th size, not 1/8th. He missed the 1.

You don't wire the motor that way. The Battery has the 2 power lead that will go to the ESC battery wires, the ESC will have 3 wires that go to the motor usually labeled a b c and the motor has an a, b, and c tab. You have to wire A-a B-b and C-c or the motor wont run.

The ESC Controls the motor all the time from standing still to Wide Open Throttle.
Then you can program the ESC to control the motor various ways as you use the Tx Throttle trigger.
Metalsoft and 909 like this.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

One major thing what is esc or supply voltage. we know its a 380 size brushed motor.. op asks for better performance . that again with out knowing old motors specs as in winds we cant give him a drop in fix..
Voltage?
turns?
909 likes this.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Yup, meant 1/18th for sure, have corrected my typo. I can't imagine trying to move a 1/8th car with a 380 size motor
909 likes this.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

I am not aware of any way to wire a brushless motor in a simple circuit (which is what the "old school" mechanical ESC's and brushed motors were). Maybe someone else knows how, as stated above the A B and C wires are all needed for the function of a brushless motor
909 likes this.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

lets not confuse the repairer any more. whats this motor going in? brushless would be nice but we have no idea what its going in.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Timmahh
To the OP Tim F means 1/18th size, not 1/8th. He missed the 1.

You don't wire the motor that way. The Battery has the 2 power lead that will go to the ESC battery wires, the ESC will have 3 wires that go to the motor usually labeled a b c and the motor has an a, b, and c tab. You have to wire A-a B-b and C-c or the motor wont run.

The ESC Controls the motor all the time from standing still to Wide Open Throttle.
Then you can program the ESC to control the motor various ways as you use the Tx Throttle trigger.
Just looking for full throttle fully open. Sounds like a brushless motors can't run without an ESC.

Originally Posted by the rc guy
One major thing what is esc or supply voltage. we know its a 380 size brushed motor.. op asks for better performance . that again with out knowing old motors specs as in winds we cant give him a drop in fix..
Voltage?
turns?
It's a custom project. The power supply will be a single cell at 4.2V. But I can change that. The only details I have from the oem motor can be found on post #3

Yup, meant 1/18th for sure, have corrected my typo. I can't imagine trying to move a 1/8th car with a 380 size motor
Hey it'll still move just not fast bro.

I am not aware of any way to wire a brushless motor in a simple circuit (which is what the "old school" mechanical ESC's and brushed motors were). Maybe someone else knows how, as stated above the A B and C wires are all needed for the function of a brushless motor
Might have to stick with old school brush motors since it's IMPOSSIBLE to run a brushless motor in a simple circuit without an ESC.

Any brands or models you guys prefer when it comes to motor shopping.
Don't need high rpms, just want torque for days baby !
Thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The hiccup here is Brushless motors are 3 phase, while Brushed motors are 2phase.

You could run a mechanical on off switch. Its not really rocket science. but you do need to convert a 2 phate circuit the battery pos and negative, and covert that to 3 phase, equally distributed to all 3 phases.
Thus the ESC, which does exactly that, and more obviously.

If you just want to hotwire a motor battery together install a momentary contact switch on the negative lead, and use a servo/receiver adn small pattery pack to power the servo, and use it to engage the momentary contact switch. But you're going to get full tilt on the motor, whatever juice the battery has.
If someone is thinking that may be the key in No Prep, you got another thing coming. lol
Old 03-29-2021, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm limited by a small form factor . Unless they make really small and simple ESC's again I'll stick with brushed motors.

What are ways to make a motor perform better ? My goal is to get more torque.

I'm limited by a only using a single cell battery and a small form factor.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 909
I'm limited by a small form factor . Unless they make really small and simple ESC's again I'll stick with brushed motors.

What are ways to make a motor perform better ? My goal is to get more torque.

I'm limited by a only using a single cell battery and a small form factor.
here is a combo motor + esc in 1 package.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...saAjDMEALw_wcB
Old 03-30-2021, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

If the goal is more torque with a slower speed being acceptable one option is to use a gear motor or a gear reduction unit added to the motor. Not unusual in the robotic or airplane fields. Tradeoff is the space required. Some examples here: Brushed DC Gear Motors
Old 04-01-2021, 03:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Family_Racing
here is a combo motor + esc in 1 package.
Excellent bro.Do you know of any others similar to this ?

Originally Posted by Dave H
If the goal is more torque with a slower speed being acceptable one option is to use a gear motor or a gear reduction unit added to the motor. Not unusual in the robotic or airplane fields. Tradeoff is the space required. Some examples here:
Excellent. Thank you bro.
Btw recently learned that they do make brushless motors that run off 2 wires. The catch is that they have an ESC built inside... A computer fan for example

Old 04-01-2021, 03:35 AM
elk
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Contact Holmes Hobbies. They sell and wind an assortment of motors, both stock and custom for the rock crawler market. They can direct you with some degree of confidence around brushed motors.

For best results, avoid calling anyone "bro" in your email...
Family_Racing likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.