Best 1/8 Nitro Buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 1/8 Nitro Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Well if world championship results are anything to go by, the Kyosho would appear to be the buggy of choice.

But look at the size of the team, the resources and the shear number of drivers present at each of the world events over the last few years.

I've heard it said that the Mugen buggy is the 'peoples champ' - represented by much smaller teams at world events, the buggy has proven to be the fastest machine on the track more than once and has been, shall we say, unlucky not to have won the crown more often. Of course, the MBX5 now enjoys a prestigious worlds title anyway. It's been a long time since the old Athlete!!

What about the Crono buggies? They've had awesome European success, not to mention a whole run of BRCA UK championship wins.

But does it matter? I don't think so, not for most of us.

I've put in better times with my 'old faithful' Mugen MBX4RR than I have with a brand new Kyosho 777. Is that because my MBX4 is better? Of course it isn't, not by modern standards!! It's inferior on several different levels, but I've owned it for years so it feels as comfortable to race with as a favourite pair of trainers do to wear.

What matters is performance, component quality, price, reliability, durability, aftermarket support, spares availability.

This statement hits the nail on the head:

"Kyosho makes great stuff, don't get me wrong...but the days where you had to shell out Kyosho money for a decent car are OVER."

Look at how well buggies like the Hyper 7 have done. Now we have the Hyper 8 - the goal posts have effectively moved by quite some margin.

Jammin, Xray, Hong Nor, Mugen, Hyper - all producing high performance machines at lower than Kyosho prices. The emperor's new clothes element is finally coming to an end with RC cars. Good thing too!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

the x-ray xb8 luxury race buggy has to be the best and yes its bias as i own one but the strength and adjustability is just great it can handle massive jumps and rollaway like it was a speed bump..........XB8 rulz.
im putting a brushless in mine so watchout nitros im a comin with lipo power.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking H8!!

I run the Hyper 8. I have owned and/or driven Kyoshos, Mugen MBX-5, Hyper 7 Pro and Xray XB8 cars. The H8 stays stable as the track changes. Rear end is always hooked as my Mugen was. The car turns as good as a Kyosho or Xray.
I challenge anyone to show a better car part for part. After numerous tear downs, this thing is very impressive in the parts wear department. All of the components are high grade stuff you would race with. It has the correct geometry to tame the slickest of tracks and is the easiest car I have ever driven. $420 for a PRO level kit with a pipe and header???? You have got to be kidding me. Apples to apples....Take $70 for the exhaust so you compair to the other kits.... Thats $350 for a pro level kit!
Except for a BS technicality, the Hyper car would be your current World Champion.
With Degani and Kortz running them now, we may see another run at the title.
Take a strong look. You can do wonders for the $200+ you will save.
I can only hope the Losi buggy is this good.
TEX
Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

I drove a 777 sp2 for the first time Tuesday at the track. Very nice buggy. It jumps very well and has very good steering. I just cant see much of a differance to my MUGEN Pro spec. The Mugen feels just a little more forgiving then the Kyosho buggy and I like that feel. It makes me feel more fonfortable on the drivers stand which helps during long races.
The one big down side that I see with the 777 sp2 over the Pro spec is the parts that come with it. The Pro Spec is ready to race. The Sp 2 has weak chassis braces and the front spindels are very weak cast Al. Once you REPLACE them. Its a much more rugged buggy.

hmmmmmm,
I just talked myself in to buying another Mugen Pro Spec.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hmmmmmm,
I just talked myself in to buying another Mugen Pro Spec.
why, you already have one? comb the market and try something new. get a Jammin, they come with all the hop-ups included for $200 less than a Mugen or Kyosho.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

A Jammin was my first ride. Did not like it.

Oh, I was just joking about buying another Mugen the one I have is brand new.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

jammin x1cr fte
Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

my hyper 7 works for racing....
Old 04-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

searching the meaning of best car... o.k.. tell me what kind of thing that a best car should have and shouldnt have it.. seem all kind of car nowdays have all the good thing that all other cars also have.. so doesnt that mean all car are good and best.. and good driver can make the car good but good car cant make the driver good..errr is it hehe..

Last edited by arghh; 04-21-2006 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

one word durability
Old 04-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[/COLOR]exactly, you can be a good driver but if your car can't survive a race, what's the use.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Post Measures

These are the things I look at when considering a purchase.
Function - Does the engineering make since? Can it do what you want? Steering, planted rear end, adjustments work........
Performance - Can the car cope with other tracks and changing conditions?
Ease of maintenance - In the pits is the car easy to live with?
Features - Does the car include the robust features you need for a race buggy?
Parts availability - replacements and/or upgrades. The quickest way to become disappointed in a car is to have it break when their are no parts on the LHS wall. The user always seems to go back and blame the car.
Is the car a complete package?
Price - What is the bang for the buck? Don't forget parts cost.
Durability - only close inspection will tell this. Some people will write their findings but only you will know what you can and cannot live with.

Hope this helps. This is what led me to the Hyper 8.
TEX
Old 04-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default this is a serious one

hi ext1, great advice. seems the things you look at when considering a purchase also should led you to this one at RcCarMax.com
Old 04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

have you thought of the caster its made on the mugan mbx5 platform all parts are interchangable very resonable priced for a mugan clone
Old 04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

i'am a proud hyper 8 owner myself and i'am just writing to comment that the jammin does not include everything in the box. it does include a lot of nice parts but if you want to adjust rear antisquat you will have to buy the part. if you want to adjust rear toe in you will have to buy the part. i had a jammin and was pleased with it, it is a good car. all of the cars are so close now that it really just comes down to driver more than ever which is great for the hobby. so thats why i drive a hyper 8 i can spend less and i know that my driving is going to determine where i finish no matter which car i have.