Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Getting back into offroad - Maxx or Lasernut U2? >

Getting back into offroad - Maxx or Lasernut U2?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Getting back into offroad - Maxx or Lasernut U2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 05:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Getting back into offroad - Maxx, Lasernut, or MT410?

Been flying helicopters (700 size) but missing the on-ground action.

I've been looking at the Traxxas Maxx and the Losi Lasernut U2.
EDIT: And as of suggestions i'm editing the post to include the MT410.

Any thoughts?
BaconRaygun likes this.

Last edited by cr8tor; 02-25-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I'm not a fan of Traxxas, more info here:
The Lasernut looks like fun:

If you really want a beast, then I would look no further than a TEKNO MT410, it's the king of all off-road bashers:

Juglenaut, kawasaki161 and cr8tor like this.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Traxxas is an equivalent to that playground bully that can’t make a bat wrap of their own so they look for reasons and opportunities to get one that may or may not be someone else's and copy it and say it was theirs since the 80’s.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.
I have watched tons of videos from plain old bashing to full reviews, ive looked at lots of options and the Maxx and Lasernut are my favorites.
The NT410 would be awesome but i also cant quite spend that much.
It seems that with the kit and then electronics id be at almost $1000 and thats just too much for me for initial costs.

I can find differences between the Maxx and Lasernut, but nothing helps me decide between the two.
Both look like fun, and pretty similarly priced.

I understand its a loaded question and very much comes down to personal preference so ill keep chewing on this.

Thanks billdelong for your time, i had seen the first video already but also enjoyed the MT410 video.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey billdelong, or anyone, i am curious, what makes the MT410 the king?
Ive seen references to it from others and what not, but i haven't seen a hugely compelling reason its so much better.
Im not questioning that, but i am curious why its highly recommended?

Is it because it holds up well to abuse, good part availability, fair replacement part costs?
Talk me into it good sir or mam. :-)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

I'll chime in here since I've spent a few laps behind the wheel of the Lasernut: https://www.mojavevalleyrcadventures...sernut-u4.html

As for the "reviews" of the Lasernut, just know virtually every paid review is heavily biased and skips over a lot of technical info. I very much like my Lasernut after I added in another $400 or so of parts. The Tekno product is superior in just about every way to the Lasernut, but they are not the same animals.

I had the chance to watch a few X Maxx run and look over the internals, and I'm sorry to say but those are little more rolling dumpster fires with fancy painted bodies. I wouldn't take an X Maxx for free.

If you want a big truck, get an ARRMA Mojave.
cr8tor likes this.

Last edited by Steve B in Vega; 02-24-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steve B in Vega
I'll chime in here since I've spent a few laps behind the wheel of the Lasernut:

As for the "reviews" of the Lasernut, just know virtually every paid review is heavily biased and skips over a lot of technical info. I very much like my Lasernut after I added in another $400 or so of parts. The Tekno product is superior in just about every way to the Lasernut, but they are not the same animals.

I had the chance to watch a few X Maxx run and look over the internals, and I'm sorry to say but those are little more rolling dumpster fires with fancy painted bodies. I wouldn't take an X Mass for free.

If you want a big truck, get an ARRMA Mojave.

Hello Steve and thanks for the info.
I'm quite aware of how reviews work, and that's part of why im on here.
I've reached out to a local shop and local club also, but they are more track/racing geared and not as helpful on offroad bashing stuff, so far in whom ive spoke with anyway.,
I've watched lots of videos, and been lurking on this forum and others for a while.

Also, to be clear, im looking at the Maxx, not the X-Maxx. :-)

And i enjoyed teh reading at the mojavevalleyrcadventures link.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Ah, sorry about that - Maxx. Well, I have not fooled with one of those, so I'm not much help there. I do not own any Traxxas platforms, but I have worked with a good number of fellow RC driver's Traxxas products, and I feel they are ok for the money; they just don't appeal to me. I tend to lean towards ARRMA for those type of machines.

My focus is mostly desert and U4 racing, so my interest tend to stay in that arena. I have a Tekno grass racer, and I love it very much. A few quirks aside, I'm not sure you can name a "better" RC platform unless you have a specific need that Tekno does not offer.

I do not think the Lasernut has the robustness to be considered a "basher", not like an ARRMA or other Losi products. Tekno can bash all day long. If the Lasernut was built by Tekno, it would be a tremendous machine.

s.
cr8tor likes this.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Those are two different breeds that offer two different types of entertainment. The Maxx is a big truck that will go over just about anything. the Lasernut is a designed for agility, speed and handling.
cr8tor likes this.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
Those are two different breeds that offer two different types of entertainment. The Maxx is a big truck that will go over just about anything. the Lasernut is a designed for agility, speed and handling.
I get that OffRoadJunkie, i know they are essentially different beats.
Since im getting back into things both are an option if you will.

I will be playing around my yard, a close by dirt road, empty lot, sometimes parks and bike tracks.
I live in Idaho so venturing outside the city results in rocks so i want to be able to take on those terrains.
Either a truck to go over it, or a buggy to go around it. haha

The laernut seems like its almost a bit of a hybrid, which i how i found it and started looking at it.
I was looking for truggys when i found that one and started eyeballing it.

I appreciate all the thoughts people are sharing.

Im excited and want to play, but patient and waiting to see where my heart lands.

Open to more thoughts and comments if people have more to share.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by cr8tor
Ive seen references to it from others and what not, but i haven't seen a hugely compelling reason its so much better.

Is it because it holds up well to abuse, good part availability, fair replacement part costs?
In the end you will wind up spending close to $1K regardless of what you decide to get... keep in mind that RTR = Ready To Reassemble... this is not a joke as pretty much all RTR's take short cuts to reduce costs... so you basically get what you pay for. Plan to replace most of the electronics on every RTR and a myriad of hidden costs on upgrades to where if you bought a quality kit, then you typically get all the upgrades up front.

TEKNO is built like a tank, the plastic is the thickest you can get in the industry, folks will typically bend pins and inserts (far less expensive to replace) instead snapping arms like more other brands. Plus TEKNO offers a 50% lifetime warranty making them the least expensive brand to maintain:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

The up front cost to get into the hobby is a drop in the bucket, on going costs to properly maintain your vehicle is what will sneak up on you and that's where TEKNO shines... the extra expense you pay up front for TEKNO will pay for itself within just a few months by not having nearly as expensive upgrades/repairs to make as most other brands.

Another option to consider is buying a used MT410 and then install all new electronics, this should get you close to a $600 budget.

If I had a strict budget and was going to buy a RTR for a family member today, then I would definitely go with ARRMA, I've seen them show up at the track in my area and they can take a pretty good beating, not quite as tough as TEKNO, but I feel they are the next best thing for the price.

Good Luck on your decision, so many variables to consider!

*** UPDATE***
I started out with budget brands myself and quickly realized how much money I wasted on upgrades/repairs until I got my first quality kit, then I did a face palm and never went back to a RTR since.
Buck master and cr8tor like this.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you’re going to do any type of real bashing just save up and get the tekno. Buy an arena blx 185 motor/esc off eBay and a nitro pro servo. The only upgrades I’ve done to my mt410 are an alloy center brace and different springs.

with the max you’ll end up needing axles sooner or later and will quickly learn that the rtr electronics are garbage.

i send my mt410 to the moon and have only broken a shock shaft and an arm both coming down from about 30’ onto the wheel
cr8tor likes this.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cr8tor

-Buy once, cry once
-king of durability
-It's a Kit. The best part of this hobby. Build it, know it inside out.
-choose your own electronics. No junk stuff to replace
-lots of aftermarket goodies if you're into that sort of thing
- it doesn't need said aftermarket stuff, it's close to perfect out of the box
-built on race buggy platform.
-best parts warranty going.
cr8tor likes this.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a Maxx, an MT410, and do not own a Lasernut, but owned a Tenacity SCT Pro which is about 80-90% the same as the Lasernut.
  • The Maxx is the most durable by far, it's the most unbreakable vehicle I've owned. It will drive the worst though.
  • The MT410 drives the best by far, it's basically a race truck converted into a basher. Durability second.
  • The Losi looks the best and is the longest wheelbase, but IMO is the most poorly made. I'm actually not that big of a fan of Losi RTR's, they seem to be somewhat cheaply made and assembled with some weird design flaws like the overly large tires that don't allow the chassis to touch the ground.

So basically choose between durability, performance, and looks.

cr8tor likes this.

Last edited by RazorRC; 02-24-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:59 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

As a Maxx owner, I wished I got an MT410 instead. Yes, its more pricey but it does everything well.
cr8tor likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.