• 1 Post By Silverbullet555

24 hours race car offroad 2wd building / preparation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 24 hours race car offroad 2wd building / preparation

Hi guys and girls !

With friends we plane to participate to a 24hours race.
After some research I don't find easely some pics, reports or whatever thread about old 24 hours or 12 hours race in the past.
I was looking for some pics to see if some people have already built quick replacement battery system or have already done other modification to their car for such a special race.

thanks for any link you will share !

regards

Old 01-28-2021, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

We did one about 30 years ago. it wasn't 24 hours, but it was long, required many stops since batteries only had 1700mah capacity. The leader of our team made a slide in system for batteries on a pan car. It proved to be challenging when trying to get batteries in under the perceived pressure of the pit stop. The winning car had batteries that dropped out the bottom and had a spring loaded retainer on the front underneath. Pick up the car, pull the retainer, old battery falls out. Put new one in and let go of the retainer. This was oval of course.

These days, capacity is so much more. Pit stops aren't likely to be the reason someone wins or loses. So, build something that is relatively easy, no nuts, minimal dexterity needed. I'd be using some kind of plug to prevent plugging something in backwards.

Have fun
AHR43 likes this.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I think its hard to beat a buggy for ease of use. The body is easy velcro on and off. The modern battery hold downs are easy now, with orings or tabs. Quick and strong. Bullet connectors. 17.5 would be fast and if geared ok, could do that all day. Sounds fun, if not a but long.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joelwhite
I think its hard to beat a buggy for ease of use. The body is easy velcro on and off. The modern battery hold downs are easy now, with orings or tabs. Quick and strong. Bullet connectors. 17.5 would be fast and if geared ok, could do that all day. Sounds fun, if not a but long.
totally agree you, but could be nice to have some feedback from 6hours / 12 hours / 24 hours racers !
which part did they broke ? did they burn speedo ? motor ?

any comment/pics of car modification can help !
Old 01-28-2021, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you just mucking around, or do you have a proper set of rules prepared?

Your car prep/setup will depend entirely on what rules you need to follow.

If you're just spitballing, go and check out the Castle Hill Vintage Enduro threads in the Australian Evens section for some ideas.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by antho2b
Hi guys and girls !

With friends we plane to participate to a 24hours race.
After some research I don't find easely some pics, reports or whatever thread about old 24 hours or 12 hours race in the past.
I was looking for some pics to see if some people have already built quick replacement battery system or have already done other modification to their car for such a special race.

thanks for any link you will share !

regards
Thinking I read somewhere Europe, Germany maybe?, runs an annual 24-hr on-road event. At least at one time they did. 24hr is a bit of a grind-especially for RC. Perhaps work up to it by phased planning, say 6hr-12hr-and then 24hr? That will give you and your buddies a chance to iron out the inevitable glitches of techniques and practices.

Perhaps look at a scaled event? E.G., 24hr at 1/8 scale=3hr. 24hr at 1/10 scale=2.4hr., etc. Sort of a representative re-creation of a 24hr event.

My grass track oval schedules one 'special event' per season. Right now, I'm looking at like a scaled distance over scaled time. But it could go either way. Anyway, some things for you to think about in your planning cycle. Keep us in the loop on what you come up with and how it works out. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

Old 01-28-2021, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Testing in the only real answer. Figure out how many packs a set of tires will last so you can plan that, figure out if you will wear out a spur or pinion or anything like that. I would make all electronics quick change in case anything fails during the race. Also lots of spare shocks and suspension links and such.

Also, after that much time, the car will basically be junk. Everything will need to be replaced.