Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree30Likes

Amazed by the stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Snail, thanks for the thought-provoking and coherent reply. Don't know if you saw my edit on post number one but I mentioned that I did try to change the title of the thread from stupidity to incompetence but it wouldn't let me. I too try to stay kid-friendly and almost didn't put the effing comment in there but I wanted to express my incredulance without becoming classless. Not sure I succeeded or not. Just did a quick look again at amain website and of the servo horns that don't mention a specific vehicle, about half give that important dimension. So not everybody's asleep at the wheel. I think what happened here is something that I just seem to stumble on more often than most, the ones I clicked on because I thought they might be what I need are the same ones that didn't give a dimension. This whole thing is probably a blessing in disguise because I might have ordered the TLR horn that uses a non-metric thread for the ball. Even though it's a Kyosho build I'm using Yokomo 5.5mm ball ends everywhere that are 3 mm thread. That would have been the icing on the cake to get to the point of installing and find out it had a 4-40 thread
Old 11-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
Snail, thanks for the thought-provoking and coherent reply. Don't know if you saw my edit on post number one but I mentioned that I did try to change the title of the thread from stupidity to incompetence but it wouldn't let me. I too try to stay kid-friendly and almost didn't put the effing comment in there but I wanted to express my incredulance without becoming classless. Not sure I succeeded or not. Just did a quick look again at amain website and of the servo horns that don't mention a specific vehicle, about half give that important dimension. So not everybody's asleep at the wheel. I think what happened here is something that I just seem to stumble on more often than most, the ones I clicked on because I thought they might be what I need are the same ones that didn't give a dimension. This whole thing is probably a blessing in disguise because I might have ordered the TLR horn that uses a non-metric thread for the ball. Even though it's a Kyosho build I'm using Yokomo 5.5mm ball ends everywhere that are 3 mm thread. That would have been the icing on the cake to get to the point of installing and find out it had a 4-40 thread

I was soooo offended by your thread. I had to call my Dr for an emergency counselling. He prescribed the the normal "Shut flip up and take another shot." My Dr's. name is Dr Pepper. Yes, my soda speaks to me... just like bacon does.

As for manufacturers, you would swear they have the "Government Employee" mentality when describing their parts and products. It seem like they just make something, write a bland description of it and say "Well, it looks good from my house." It's not like they are trying to keep people from copying them. All we have to do in reverse engineer their part.

Milkdudd likes this.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I’ve bought more the a few servos that included a aluminum servo horn that wasn’t designed for a specific vehicle
Me too, but those are obviously rarely going to be the correct length for your car. I swap those out for the horns designed for the car.

They “fit” and they will turn the wheels, but you will end up with some unexpected expo effect the original designers did not intend.
Milkdudd likes this.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billdelong
how about 1/10 wheels?

Something like an implied 0mm offset if you don't specify otherwise you must list the offset, what irks me is when a brands says to use Losi/AE offset... WITAF!
To be fair, nobody actually knows what the wheel offsets are. I'm not going to name any names, but there are big aftermarket wheel companies who are making wheels with slightly widths and offsets than the OEM wheels that they are sold as compatible with.

Last edited by RazorRC; 11-21-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazorRC
To be fair, nobody actually knows what the wheel offsets are. I'm not going to name any names, but there are big aftermarket wheel companies who are making wheels with slightly widths and offsets than the OEM wheels that they are sold as compatible with.
I have noticed this. Manufacturer will list the wheels as compatible with this this this and this. When I see that I think are you sure? It doesn't agree with what I have been told everywhere else I look. If this unnamed manufacturer is the one I'm thinking of, they are still among my favorites overall with terrific customer service
RazorRC likes this.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I’ve bought more the a few servos that included a aluminum servo horn that wasn’t designed for a specific vehicle
I have bought cheap servos that came with a nice aluminum horn for the price of a brand horn alone... 😅
Old 11-23-2020, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This whole thread just makes me think about shorty packs from different manufacturers that have positive and negative on opposite sides.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by aspiringracer
This whole thread just makes me think about shorty packs from different manufacturers that have positive and negative on opposite sides.
It’s not just shorty packs.
billdelong and aspiringracer like this.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I have a great appreciation for "Through and through" bullets so a pack can be flipped, but it's annoying when they don't make a through and through for the balance lead, that's just stupid. I know some people prefer to charge their packs in a LiPo bag, etc... but I will sometimes race 3 classes and don't have the time to remove my packs between rounds, it's a calculated risk that is mitigated by checking the IR every cycle.

Anyway, without a standard for polarity, I have balked at buying some brands of batteries because they don't follow everyone else, their loss!
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

My peeve is when they use color coding. What the frick is the difference between orange and yellow and blue and green and... Every time I look for tires or springs, I have to google the differences in colors. Why can't they just say "softest, hardest, medium-soft, etc..." At the very least, due a number rating like 1 being the softest and 5 being hardest. At least with some shock springs, they will give the diameter of the wire on the spring. If they insist on sticking with colors for identification purposes, why not use white for the softest, gray for medium, and black for hardest. for in between, they can use white/gray for medium soft and gray/black for medium hard.
billdelong, dtr and Goof like this.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I appreciate the markings on the TEKNO sway bars, they use a roman numeral system to indicate thickness starting from 1.0mm and up, I would like to see more brands adopt this marking system, don't see any reason why they can't do the same for springs... I XRay does something similar as well but for the springs instead. .
Old 11-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
My peeve is when they use color coding. What the frick is the difference between orange and yellow and blue and green and... Every time I look for tires or springs, I have to google the differences in colors. Why can't they just say "softest, hardest, medium-soft, etc..." At the very least, due a number rating like 1 being the softest and 5 being hardest. At least with some shock springs, they will give the diameter of the wire on the spring. If they insist on sticking with colors for identification purposes, why not use white for the softest, gray for medium, and black for hardest. for in between, they can use white/gray for medium soft and gray/black for medium hard.
Xray uses a number system "4 dot, 3 dot", etc. But then again their springs are 0.2mm smaller in diameter than everyone else's and don't fit any other 12mm bore shocks right...

Don't get me started on Schumacher springs...
Old 11-23-2020, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Milkdud, I use an AE aluminum horn on my RB7. You buy my car and I will throw it in for free!!
Milkdudd likes this.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Xray uses a number system "4 dot, 3 dot", etc. But then again their springs are 0.2mm smaller in diameter than everyone else's and don't fit any other 12mm bore shocks right...

Don't get me started on Schumacher springs...

you know... I've always had a little crush on Schumachers, but just like the women I have crushes on, they just seam to be a little too expensive.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speed90
Milkdud, I use an AE aluminum horn on my RB7. You buy my car and I will throw it in for free!!

For a while, Kyosho has seemed to be able to design the cars to accept a lot of AE parts, when it comes to parts like shocks and wheels. A couple guys I know run Kyosho shocks on their buggies and trucks.
Milkdudd likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.